KT-22A controllers dead?

I bought a couple of 48V KT-22A controllers along with an LCD4. I tried both controllers with the same result.

I connected the LCD, PAS, motor, and brakes. I powered from a 48V battery that reads 51V.

I power on and the display shows normal (but zero bars of battery) and then quickly switches to blinking "01 InFo".

I don't see anything about this in the manual.

I sent a message to TopBikeKit but I suspect I'm on my own here. Any suggestions?

"Info" errors usually signal a lack of contact with the controller or the motor Hall sensors. Check all your plugs for cleanliness and condition (bent pins, corrosion etc.) Check the motor cable for physical damage or melted insulation. If the motor overheated, that could cook the Hall sensors to where they don't work. If there's any naked copper along the way, that could also be your problem.

Hmmm...it's a newish (unused) motor (which works with Trampa, including Halls) and the rest of the kit is new. I will check for bent pins, though. Thank you.

No, it doesn't say anything about Error 01 in your manual.

Did you buy it with the Waterproof round plug or the 5 pin JST connector? WIth the latter plug, there's a jumper connector that starts the controller without the display. You get throttle and one PAS. It's a good test of whether the controller works. It usually comes with the controller if it uses the JST plugs. Did you get a throttle with this kit?

Last edited:
Nice! I bought it with the waterproof round plugs. I got a kit with throttle and PAS. I definitely want to run it without the display, though (and without throttle or PAS). Is there documentation available for the controller? I've only found pinouts for the controllers in the huge aluminum extrusion enclosures.

kt22a.jpg

If it is throttle abnormality, which is error 01 only LCD3, I get that when the throttle is slightly turned on when the controller is powered up. Usually it's hitting the hand grip, To prevent a run-away bike during power up, the controller goes into an error situation.

Also get it when I've miswired the throttle,

Will look for my notes on jumpering the waterproof connector, I've got that same KT-22A that goes into a battery cradle, but don't have the Hailong battery for it yet,

Oh! That is a big help! (The old manual doesn't list those codes.) I would not have expected the throttle. I just plugged in the one that came in the kit.

I've been making twist throttles, so I have stacks of them around. I'll start swapping...

Thank you!

TopBikeKit *did* respond. The message directed me to use the three-pin plug on the splitter, not the one directly from the controller. That did it. Makes sense; I just got sloppy with all of the fancy colored connectors.

Now the battery displays as full and I even got a voltage reading. I don't get any response to the throttle, though. That might result from all of the setting changes I was trying.

Got it. I swapped the 3-pin cables and twiddled the settings. When I power on, the throttle is immediately usable. I can work with this.

I'd love to know how to run it without the display.

Thanks, all!

Back