16-Parameter controllers don't 'speak the same language' as 5-Parameter LCD 3 displays?

Most LCD's have adopted a common pinout on their connectors, That means I can fire up an ebikeling controller with a KT LCD3 display (I own both), and the LCD3 acts like it's the boss, but it can't do anything because it uses a different comm protocol.

In the meantime, the ebikeling controller has powered up, and not detecting a display has entered a default mode where it offers throttle response and a default PAS level. I' know this is true because I''ve done it,

It's well know that KT controllers also work without a display. The converse is true. I can put my ebikeling SW900 display on a KT controller and it also powers up, and the bike will run, but all the display is doing is providing battery power to the KT controller to run that LM317T you guys were talking about.

But...the SW900 is a KT P1-16 display. Ebikeling is just a reseller, just like BMSBatt, Bafang, Pedelecs.... The SW900 should work with the KT controller (unless it's an older P1-5 controller; then we're back to simple parameter numbering system update.)

e.g. this kit specs either: "KT LCD3 and SW900 Display Ebike conversion kit 36/48V."
So, even if they are different manufacturers of the 2 displays, these guys got their controller to comm with both parameter set variants P1-5 & P1-16 (or 17 depending which product manual you read).

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003257385348.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

docw009 said:
I can put my ebikeling SW900 display on a KT controller and it also powers up, and the bike will run, but all the display is doing is providing battery power to the KT ....

I may be wrong! On the KT LCD list, they do not show S830 nor SW900.
http://www.szktdz.com/en/news.php?type=343

Hmmm ShuWei, SaiWes?, SwaiWalu?, SunWeng? :)

EV_Ron said:
I may be wrong! On the KT LCD list, they do not show S830 nor SW900.
http://www.szktdz.com/en/news.php?type=343

Hmmm ShuWei, SaiWes?, SwaiWalu?, SunWeng? :)

You may want to keep researching until you're absolutely sure then. It will help the next person who reads the thread. :thumb:

Never know, if I could figure it out and import a few ten thousand, everyone might be buying their next controllers from me :).
JK. I get your sarcasm.

Naw , that aliexpress link shows 5 controllers . 3 are clearly labeled with KT model numbers and are stated to come with the LCD3 . 2 are generic , no make or model info , and are stated to come with the SW900 .

aroundcube

You may believe what you see- if that means there's KT controllers on one hand and everything else like the SW900 on the other, I understand, it's ok.

What I see is this:
Greenpedel (which appears to be a very large consolidator & seller of ebikes & kits) advertises KT displays on their webpage. On Greenpedel's webpage of 22 displays there's the S900.
Right next to it, the "Greenpedel KT CE EN15194 LED890", & the KT LCD3.
11 of 22 displays listed are identified specifically as KT displays.

Why would GP come up with their own Sw/S900 displays instead of having KT do the OEM? And why would GP include this proprietary Sw900 in the KT display list? No...it makes more sense KT makes the S900, too, and Greenpedel consolidates and sells them all in their very long sales list of ebikes & kits. KT likely does all the ODM, too, IOW changing labels & design features including pins & plugs, so it appears every reseller is their own manufacturer.

Yes, there are a few other Greenpedel-xyz displays like Greenpedel-KD, but they look similar to KT's other displays. And, they also list KT's new roundish 900S, and the KT LCD 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, the KT LED 890.

These companies are obviously tight; why wouldn't the S900/Sw900 be KT's, too? The 500, 750, 850, 900 are probably just the microcontroller designation inside, same as Qualcomm & Intel do it.
https://www.greenpedel.com/Display-pl3821393-p3.html

My bet is they're ALL KT design, software, & comms protocols, and the only difference was consolidating the P & C parameters into a longer list of P1-17 a few years ago. Therefore, legacy P1-5 & newer P1-17 controllers don't "talk" to controllers of the other era. But, I may wrong, and that's fine. Hopefully I don't wrongly change any minds. I understand more than I did before. Just my 0.126 yuan.

Here's the S-KT list of displays.
http://www.szktdz.com/en/news.php?page=0&&&type=343

aroundqube said:
Naw , that aliexpress link shows 5 controllers . 3 are clearly labeled with KT model numbers and are stated to come with the LCD3 . 2 are generic , no make or model info , and are stated to come with the SW900 .

The SW900 looks like a Kingmeter model, but a King rep posted here once, and I sent him a picture of my SW900, along with the manual, and he said it was a copy made by competitors. The SW900's got a box for watts, and ebikeling has never put that data into it. Hell, he doesn't even care that his SW900 only works right with direct drive motors. It has no support for a speed sensor needed with geared motors.

The S900 also looks like a SW900, but if you looking at user manuals, they have completely different options,

The only thing I know is that no one has bothered to clone or counterfeit the KT display line.

By the way, if I can get the controller to respond to my passing a magnet over the sensor, I don't doubt that tapping the signal between +5 and ground can get enough pulses with timing that passes muster, so that it starts, and maybe spins a for few seconds until it gets another random matching pattern. That's all I'm doing, because it's not continuous operation.

EV_Ron said:
Why would GP come up with their own Sw/S900 displays instead of having KT do the OEM? And why would GP include this proprietary Sw900 in the KT display list?
As stated, saving 6.37 yuan on the supply cost side is HUGELY motivating to that marketplace

much more so than building up any sort of positive "brand reputation".

Unless you do plan on becoming a local distributor, all this is useless speculation.

Buy your display(s) from the seller of your controller, ideally as a kit at the same time.

Things change very quickly, often without the model#s changing.

Investigating and trying to help myself and the community understand the market and what seems to be the specific reason why 1 line of controllers doesn't communicate with a line of displays is useless speculation?

Yours is a disappointing response from someone with a 1GW rating. It's no yuan out of your pocket, so why the negativity? Why did you even bother to post? Do you do the same when someone wants to open a controller to understand it? "Don't open that controller, don't analyze that waveform..it's useless speculation."

Everything we know is scientific method: theorize, research, validate. And here you try to put a damper on someone's curiosity and enthusiasm for it.
I bet you're the guy who shuts down a brainstorming session because it's useless speculation.

Daddy, why is the sky blue, what happens to the other colors? Don't worry about it kid, it's useless speculation.

EV_Ron said:
Investigating and trying to help myself and the community understand the market and what seems to be the specific reason why 1 line of controllers doesn't communicate with a line of displays is useless speculation?

Yours is a disappointing response from someone with a 100GW rating. It's no yuan out of your pocket, so why the negativity? Why did you even bother to post? Do you do the same when someone wants to open a controller to understand it? "Don't open that controller, don't analyze that waveform..it's useless speculation."

Everything we know is scientific method: theorize, research, validate. And here you try to put a damper on someone's curiosity and enthusiasm for it.
I bet you're the guy who shuts down a brainstorming session because it's useless speculation.

Daddy, why is the sky blue, what happens to the other colors? Don't worry about it kid, it's useless speculation.
What is the perceived benefit again?

Back