large downhillfork

bionicon

1 kW
I want to buy a large 300mm downhillfork are they still for sale, and does anybody knows where to get it ?

bionicon said:
I want to buy a large 300mm downhillfork are they still for sale, and does anybody knows where to get it ?

The Marzocchi Super Monster T is not available as they stopped manufacturing it if that is what you have in mind. It was heavy, about twice as heavy as the Fox 40 fork so around 6 kilo for the Super Monster T. Monster T had 12 inches of travel :) But you can find used one from time to time if you keep your eyes open. If you are quick you might get lucky: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=3&category=8&q=monster those are truly bad boys forks. 8) If they perform near to their looks I don't know.

There is another options with 10 inches of travel, but very expensive one. Avalanche MTN-10-USD. They are custom build to order. Maybe you can find one of those second hand? New price > 3.000 $.

Forks from dirtbikes are often in this suspension travel range, stronger, and have damping designed for heavier vehicles, mounting for big brakes, and strong wheels that mount into them that fit motorcycle tires.

Mounting them rarely requires more than some custom lathe work to make adapters to fit the frame for motorcycle headset bearings.

What is your primary goal with using 12" travel? Get more ground clearance? A more heavy duty handling fork? Ability to handle heavy load?
Reason I ask is that choosing 12" of travel will add a weight penalty. It could even be very large. Todays DH forks are about 3 kilos give or take. A used dirtbike fork might be upwards of 10+ kilos more with wheel, brakes, calipers etc.

Before deciding to go for moto cross fork, ask yourself if there is other ways to reach your goal. For instance, weight ability can be encountered by added pressure in air forks combined with stiffer spring in the other leg.

If it is more ground clearance maybe a bigger rim can take you there?

I have an old thread about mx forks, and the ones I asked in thread and PM's about their first hand experiences with mx forks all said in retrospect that mx fork was not worth the effort and added weight. So finally I too had to "settle" for DH fork. For me it was weight issues I feared to cramp the DH fork. New spring fixed that.

The large fork is for a new frame i am planning to fabricate.Special for ground clearance....but i didn't know they are hard to get or very expensive. So maybe better to redesigne and use a "normal" 200mm.The mx forks are also not bad but much heavier and i want to stick with bikewheels, it must have a bicycle look.

bionicon said:
The large fork is for a new frame i am planning to fabricate.Special for ground clearance....but i didn't know they are hard to get or very expensive. So maybe better to redesigne and use a "normal" 200mm.The mx forks are also not bad but much heavier and i want to stick with bikewheels, it must have a bicycle look.

If you look for Super Monster T's you can find those from 500 $ and upwards past 1.000 $. One thing I've noticed is that it seems that these forks are mainly owned by enthusiasts now, as pretty much those I've seen for sale are really in good shape, often with fresh service, some even with spare parts. If you need the extra ground clearance might be worth having a look see.

I found a used 888 RC 2005 Bomber front fork second hand for $100 AUD, so there are plenty around.
The only down side is that they take a 20 mm straight through axle which I found are not made any more so second hand was the only option.

I would advice to research all the components when purchasing a DH fork as some parts are harder to find than others.

Not really relevant, The 888 Bomber is a dh fork. Super T Monster is s a DH FORK.
Your fork what 8" of travel? Super T Monster has 12" of travel. That makes the latter one 50% more travel. That is substantial difference in travel as well as overall fork length.
AFAIK those Moster T forks was only in production for 2-3 years due to lower demand then expected and AFAIK Monster T had no real word competitors either. Seems the rest of the industry valued the more lightweight 8" dh forks more.

Super Monster T is the meanest looking fork you can put on your electric bike other then going full mx fork.

The key word here is fabricate.

Fabricate for a motorcycle fork. Like something off a 125 or 250. Clearly this is not for street, so build it like a motorcycle.

I know it does not quite come up to your 12" standard but I recently saw a set of the Risse Racing Metrons at the Sacramento hand built bike show and they are awesome to behold. They say that they come with a maximum of 9" of travel but I spoke to the owner of Risse and I think I recall him saying you could get them with more. Here is a pic I took at the time:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I think the top photo was the 9" travel model and the bottom one is something less. Here is a link to their web site:

http://risseracing.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/551

My main interest was the fat tire clearance, but for that they still make the Trixie fork and it is much lighter. Incidentally though, according to the owner you can use the wider crowns from the Metron on the Trixie to get super wide clearance for tires wider than 4".

I looked at the website and they have a 12" fork...alone a little bit pricey :cry:
http://risseracing.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/60

Back