Leaf / leafmotor / leafbike high efficiency 1500w motor

Ellou said:
So instead of frustrating myself with this any further can someone verify if this leafbike kits claim of 42.7mph on 48/52v is or seems accurate?

Also would it probably take forever to get up to that speed on 52v?

As a data point, about 8 seconds at 76V (half charged, so better at 84V). You have to listen to where the throttle cuts and regen kicks in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKvAA4w6VM4

The Grin simulator seems really accurate with how the motor behaves. You can actually hear it in this video, where at around 8 seconds, the torque curve takes a dive and it takes another second and a half to increase the last 2mph before shutting it down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kai-ahYt-Ok
Just like the torque curve in the simulator:
Leaf 80v.jpg

ZeroEm said:
Think any Bike above 20 mph is not boring unless you are on the open road. Don't forget Volts set your top speed but amps get you there.

True my folding bike was fun at 25 until I tried to go up a hill.lol.

Now that I'm using my bike for commuting to work it's actually aggravating going wide out throttle and only doing 30mph. Here in Texas most of the main roads are 45 or 55mph. The only road, that just recently got a sidewalk to get to my job, is 65mph.

I think I am going to have to sell one of my bikes to get something that works better with a high voltage battery.

Ellou said:
I think I am going to have to sell one of my bikes to get something that works better with a high voltage battery.

I'd recommend building a velomobile out of a full-suspension trike.

Failing that, you'll want at minimum a very well built full suspension frame with motorcycle hydraulic disc brakes and DOT rims and rubber. If you insist on 2 wheels, you can't go wrong with a Greyborg frame.

The Toecutter said:
Ellou said:

I'd recommend building a velomobile out of a full-suspension trike.

Failing that, you'll want at minimum a very well built full suspension frame with motorcycle hydraulic disc brakes and DOT rims and rubber. If you insist on 2 wheels, you can't go wrong with a Greyborg frame.

Not really my style. Just want a bike thats fun to ride and fast enough to navigate on roads when needed.

Well, you DO intend to cruise over 30 mph, correct? Faster? The build has to be able to reliably perform the task you intend for it, or you could lose everything you invested into the vehicle and then some. If you ever have a breakdown, you'll need a plan to get it home safely as well.

Front suspensions on mountain bikes can also have ball-joint failures. Such a failure has the potential to be an extremely unpleasant experience, and worse, if it occurs at speed.

On a front-suspension trike, I have been able to comfortably/safely/reliably cruise 35 mph using ebike components and non-crap mechanical disc brakes. And on roads that were known to be okay, have even cruised 40-45 mph, but an unanticipated pothole destroyed a steering spindle at 40 mph, and a racoon weeks prior to that was ramped and sent it airborne also at 40 mph landing on the wheel of the side where the spindle broke, and on tires rated for 32 mph. To withstand higher speeds than 35 mph without something critical to the vehicle's continued safe operation failing, I need stronger components all over the vehicle, especially since I ride in traffic with boobus Americanus. Anything less is opening the door to all kinds of unwanted and/or unpredictable circumstances when operating the vehicle at desired cruising speed. In my case, getting the rear-wheel caught in a pothole at speed could easily get ugly, where you have zero control over its direction until the rear wheel regains sufficient traction to accelerate. This makes rear suspension a necessity for faster speeds on bad roads in traffic.

If you intend to use a quality full-suspension mountain bike as a base chassis for this Leafbike motor riding on bicycle-grade components, you probably don't want more than 35 mph cruising speeds. You might get good results at even higher speeds with a dedicated downhill bike, but increased speed will quickly eat into your potential range because an upright ebike has as much drag as a decently streamlined small car(eg. Toyota Yaris) or more. 30 Wh/mile @ 30 mph can quickly turn into 100-150 Wh/mile @ 60 mph, which considering how light the vehicle is, the latter is extremely wasteful(There exist 2,500 lb electric cars that consume that amount of energy @ 60 mph). Requiring more battery. The Leafbike with mods can yield excellent results reliably, but without mods, at 72V, it's still a 2,000-2,500W continuous motor in the best of circumstances. With the right winding, that still might allow a 40 mph cruising speed without overheating on a fully stock motor, even on an unfaired upright bike. With motor mods like hubsink, that might become 3kW or more continuous without overheating the motor, and where continuous rating soon becomes less important than 1 hr rating given how quickly you can drain a battery using these levels of power. You'll need the motor's wiring sized accordingly. There are people who run these motors at 8 kW peak. You can have quite some scoot on such a light vehicle with this motor and rest of the bike prepared for the power/torque it can deliver. Taking off like a car is very doable. If you want the battery to last, you'll need to size it to where your typical use case uses no more than 50% of charge, then charge it to no more than 90% every day you use the bike.

If you want to use this motor's full potential without killing yourself, the bike will also need to be up to the task. I'm in the process of making mine up to the task. When mixing with cars in traffic, the vehicle needs to be able to perform like something akin to them if not superior to them in many facets to do so safely. That means braking, cornering, acceleration, wet weather performance, maneuverability, ect. at least comparable to a car. You mentioned roads with speed limits up to 65 mph, and earlier mentioned a desire for a 40 mph cruising speed.

A modest 96A phase current in a 20" wheel has the potential to wheelie your bike even in a 3T wind if you're light enough. The Phaserunner/Frankenrunner is capable of that. If you go to a higher turn-count wind, it's assured. I know this because my trike wants to go sideways at this tiny bit of current running through the motor with a 20" Schwalbe Marathon Plus round it. And that unexpected wheelie is the least of the things that can go wrong, because wheelies can be really fun if you know what you're doing. Better have good torque arms.

Which is why I'm throwing this out there. Hope you find the right chassis for the job you intend for it. You're getting a motor that's capable of a lot of performance for its weight. Make sure the bike itself can use it.

A fatbike? I'd initially trust it to like 30 mph, max.

Regardless of what you do, this motor will have no problem accelerating it up to speed. A Frankenrunner will do okay with this motor even in a 3T wind. It will be slower than most cars, but fast enough to quickly get into trouble. My 46.8V pack got me to over 40 mph with the body removed and I didn't even top it out, using a 3T in a 20" wheel in a Phaserunner set to 96A peak current and the CA3 set to 3,000W peak. A correctly sized Sabvoton could make it very dangerous to operate and would have no problem getting you quickly up to whatever speed you want. Make sure you really want to move at that speed on whatever it is you're riding, as it will be extremely tempting to push things to the limit on a regular basis.

I found out mine was good for 35 mph cruising over typical roads, even though it was capable of going significantly faster for extended periods without the motor or controller ever overheating and was quickly capable of reaching those > 35 mph speeds. And thankfully, I did not find out that 35 mph was the max safe cruising speed the hard way. Making a death machine is very easy! (And cool!) Is that what you want?

I spent a lot of time riding in a detuned 350W mode, as on flat ground, with the body installed, this was good for 30-35 mph with light to moderate pedaling. If I had 8 kW peak available, I wouldn't have gotten to use it much given what my max safe continuous cruising speed was, as I'd be there in a few short seconds from a stop. But your vehicle will probably have a significantly different energy consumption vs speed graph than mine. But even then, 8 kW peak would get an upright to over 50 mph pretty easily. And quickly. And the right-sized Sabvoton and properly selected battery pack could easily do it.

Do you really want that on a fatbike with fatbike components? A Phaserunner/Frankenrunner is perfectly capable of reaching above your target cruising speed of 40 mph, and it will get there "quickly enough", even if not nearly as quickly as the Sabvoton would. And it will probably be too much for your fatbike. 72V in a 3T wind motor might get you 60+ mph top speed with a properly-sized Sabvoton. The Phaserunner could do it for short durations before overheating and scaling back power. Which might make a higher turn-count motor more ideal for acceleration/torque up to whatever you think the safe cruising speed is for your bike if you're going to really run 72V.

In a 20" wheel, if you insist on 72V, you will probably end up with a 45 mph top speed using a Phaserunner/Frankenrunner in a 4T wind in a 20" wheel, if you limit the Frankenrunner to 2,500W. It will need a heatsink. Power will be the limiting factor to top speed. Your motor won't overheat, stock.

The Sabvoton with a 3T wind would make all kinds of unsafe operating conditions possible and include the capability of quickly destroying components, until you upgrade the motor with cooling mods and also the rest of the bike.

It's a huge disadvantage to build an EV for speed much higher than the usual duty speed. Electric motors don't hit their efficiency peak until they exceed 80% of their unloaded speed.

The Toecutter said:
Well, you DO intend to cruise over 30 mph, correct? Faster? The build has to be able to reliably perform the task you intend for it, or you could lose everything you invested into the vehicle and then some. If you ever have a breakdown, you'll need a plan to get it home safely as well.

Front suspensions on mountain bikes can also have ball-joint failures. Such a failure has the potential to be an extremely unpleasant experience, and worse, if it occurs at speed.

On a front-suspension trike, I have been able to comfortably/safely/reliably cruise 35 mph using ebike components and non-crap mechanical disc brakes. And on roads that were known to be okay, have even cruised 40-45 mph, but an unanticipated pothole destroyed a steering spindle at 40 mph, and a racoon weeks prior to that was ramped and sent it airborne also at 40 mph landing on the wheel of the side where the spindle broke, and on tires rated for 32 mph. To withstand higher speeds than 35 mph without something critical to the vehicle's continued safe operation failing, I need stronger components all over the vehicle, especially since I ride in traffic with boobus Americanus. Anything less is opening the door to all kinds of unwanted and/or unpredictable circumstances when operating the vehicle at desired cruising speed. In my case, getting the rear-wheel caught in a pothole at speed could easily get ugly, where you have zero control over its direction until the rear wheel regains sufficient traction to accelerate. This makes rear suspension a necessity for faster speeds on bad roads in traffic.

If you intend to use a quality full-suspension mountain bike as a base chassis for this Leafbike motor riding on bicycle-grade components, you probably don't want more than 35 mph cruising speeds. You might get good results at even higher speeds with a dedicated downhill bike, but increased speed will quickly eat into your potential range because an upright ebike has as much drag as a decently streamlined small car(eg. Toyota Yaris) or more. 30 Wh/mile @ 30 mph can quickly turn into 100-150 Wh/mile @ 60 mph, which considering how light the vehicle is, the latter is extremely wasteful(There exist 2,500 lb electric cars that consume that amount of energy @ 60 mph). Requiring more battery. The Leafbike with mods can yield excellent results reliably, but without mods, at 72V, it's still a 2,000-2,500W continuous motor in the best of circumstances. With the right winding, that still might allow a 40 mph cruising speed without overheating on a fully stock motor, even on an unfaired upright bike. With motor mods like hubsink, that might become 3kW or more continuous without overheating the motor, and where continuous rating soon becomes less important than 1 hr rating given how quickly you can drain a battery using these levels of power. You'll need the motor's wiring sized accordingly. There are people who run these motors at 8 kW peak. You can have quite some scoot on such a light vehicle with this motor and rest of the bike prepared for the power/torque it can deliver. Taking off like a car is very doable. If you want the battery to last, you'll need to size it to where your typical use case uses no more than 50% of charge, then charge it to no more than 90% every day you use the bike.

If you want to use this motor's full potential without killing yourself, the bike will also need to be up to the task. I'm in the process of making mine up to the task. When mixing with cars in traffic, the vehicle needs to be able to perform like something akin to them if not superior to them in many facets to do so safely. That means braking, cornering, acceleration, wet weather performance, maneuverability, ect. at least comparable to a car. You mentioned roads with speed limits up to 65 mph, and earlier mentioned a desire for a 40 mph cruising speed.

A modest 96A phase current in a 20" wheel has the potential to wheelie your bike even in a 3T wind if you're light enough. The Phaserunner/Frankenrunner is capable of that. If you go to a higher turn-count wind, it's assured. I know this because my trike wants to go sideways at this tiny bit of current running through the motor with a 20" Schwalbe Marathon Plus round it. And that unexpected wheelie is the least of the things that can go wrong, because wheelies can be really fun if you know what you're doing. Better have good torque arms.

Which is why I'm throwing this out there. Hope you find the right chassis for the job you intend for it. You're getting a motor that's capable of a lot of performance for its weight. Make sure the bike itself can use it.

A fatbike? I'd initially trust it to like 30 mph, max.

Regardless of what you do, this motor will have no problem accelerating it up to speed. A Frankenrunner will do okay with this motor even in a 3T wind. It will be slower than most cars, but fast enough to quickly get into trouble. My 46.8V pack got me to over 40 mph with the body removed and I didn't even top it out, using a 3T in a 20" wheel in a Phaserunner set to 96A peak current and the CA3 set to 3,000W peak. A correctly sized Sabvoton could make it very dangerous to operate and would have no problem getting you quickly up to whatever speed you want. Make sure you really want to move at that speed on whatever it is you're riding, as it will be extremely tempting to push things to the limit on a regular basis.

I found out mine was good for 35 mph cruising over typical roads, even though it was capable of going significantly faster for extended periods without the motor or controller ever overheating and was quickly capable of reaching those > 35 mph speeds. And thankfully, I did not find out that 35 mph was the max safe cruising speed the hard way. Making a death machine is very easy! (And cool!) Is that what you want?

I spent a lot of time riding in a detuned 350W mode, as on flat ground, with the body installed, this was good for 30-35 mph with light to moderate pedaling. If I had 8 kW peak available, I wouldn't have gotten to use it much given what my max safe continuous cruising speed was, as I'd be there in a few short seconds from a stop. But your vehicle will probably have a significantly different energy consumption vs speed graph than mine. But even then, 8 kW peak would get an upright to over 50 mph pretty easily. And quickly. And the right-sized Sabvoton and properly selected battery pack could easily do it.

Do you really want that on a fatbike with fatbike components? A Phaserunner/Frankenrunner is perfectly capable of reaching above your target cruising speed of 40 mph, and it will get there "quickly enough", even if not nearly as quickly as the Sabvoton would. And it will probably be too much for your fatbike. 72V in a 3T wind motor might get you 60+ mph top speed with a properly-sized Sabvoton. The Phaserunner could do it for short durations before overheating and scaling back power. Which might make a higher turn-count motor more ideal for acceleration/torque up to whatever you think the safe cruising speed is for your bike if you're going to really run 72V.

In a 20" wheel, if you insist on 72V, you will probably end up with a 45 mph top speed using a Phaserunner/Frankenrunner in a 4T wind in a 20" wheel, if you limit the Frankenrunner to 2,500W. It will need a heatsink. Power will be the limiting factor to top speed. Your motor won't overheat, stock.

The Sabvoton with a 3T wind would make all kinds of unsafe operating conditions possible and include the capability of quickly destroying components, until you upgrade the motor with cooling mods and also the rest of the bike.

Toecutter....what do you mean by "ball-joint failures"? I don't know of a "ball joint" on a bicycle :?: . Just wanted to make sure I understand what you meant. Thanks

I would be even more conservative regarding "bicycle" components and say anything for continued use over about 30 mph should be beefed up and/or start to use motorcycle components.

Your brief explanation on the power consumption for faster speeds is spot on...not only does a bicycle have a lot of aerodynamic drag, once you get over about 30 mph, the power required to go faster increases a LOT so you'll need a bigger battery, better motor cooling, and a controller than can keep up with the demand without over heating but I don't think most newbies will believe you until they melt something :lol: .

Bullfrog said:
I would be even more conservative regarding "bicycle" components and say anything for continued use over about 30 mph should be beefed up and/or start to use motorcycle components.

100% agree that 30mph is really the max. Anything above that and the risk goes way up on bicycle components.

I was riding around yesterday, and crossing in a crosswalk at a 4 way stop. Pickup truck waiting to make a left almost runs me over because he's only paying attention to what's on his left. He didn't even know he almost ran me over, and just kept going. I ride up the bike path which is running parallel but separated from the frontage road, and I'm yelling at the guy, cussing at the top of my lungs, he's looking over clueless; I wasn't getting my message across. I look down and I'm doing 48, stupid fast, and I can't take my hand off the grips long enough to flip him off, and then had to slow down because foot traffic ahead. Totally unsatisfying and frustrating. If you can't give someone the bird while driving or riding, then that vehicle isn't safe at that speed, period; hard and fast rule. You can still give someone the bird on a motorcycle, even going 100; huge difference.

Bullfrog said:
Toecutter....what do you mean by "ball-joint failures"? I don't know of a "ball joint" on a bicycle :?: . Just wanted to make sure I understand what you meant. Thanks

Toecutter's "bike" is a tiny, flimsy little mockery of a car. As such it has two front wheels with Ackermann steering like a car's.

From what he says, it's capable of reaching much higher than normal bicycle speeds, but not as structurally sound as a normal bicycle. Seems like a recipe for trouble to me.

Bullfrog said:

Maybe I'm making an ass of myself because I know jack shit about mountain bikes and front suspension fat bikes, but I was referring to the front fork found on these front suspension machines. They are failure prone and can leave you injured when they do fail. You don't want that happening at 40 mph on a bike like this.

Chalo said:
Toecutter's "bike" is a tiny, flimsy little mockery of a car. As such it has two front wheels with Ackermann steering like a car's.

From what he says, it's capable of reaching much higher than normal bicycle speeds, but not as structurally sound as a normal bicycle. Seems like a recipe for trouble to me.

All true. Which is why it's getting upgrades. I instead want my "car" to be a not so flimsy little mockery of a recumbent pedal tricycle.

It's getting hydraulic disc brakes with ATV rotors, 16x1.4" DOT rims on all three wheels, at least Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires up front and a Mitas MC2 in the rear(maybe even Mitas MC2 on all 3 wheels), a roll cage, safety harness, full LED lights and turn signals all around, and other much needed changes. I'm targeting 0-60 mph in under 9 seconds with a top speed of over 100 mph, while retaining faster-than-bicycle functionality when the motor is disabled. My Milan SL velomobile is guiding the design of the next body shell, as that can do 30 mph on 150W of pedal input, 50 mph in a sprint, all with no motor!

Recipe for trouble? You know it. I don't like trouble though, as much as I do like speed. Going airborne at 40 mph riding at night from hitting a racoon that ran out in front of me and then having the spindle fail at 40 mph less than a month later in traffic was enough thrills for me. If I want to do anything over 35 mph for extended periods, it needs these upgrades.

Know the risks, and be willing to accept the consequences should things go awry. My strategy is to make speed less risky than it currently is.

Come on, you get that urge every now and then to be a complete ass wipe to some random person on the trailways
am I the only one?
Some snarky remark as ya pass, then perhaps a backwards wave, how many fingers... optional, lately for me its been the 2 or 3 finger rock-on hand gesture.

calab said:
Come on, you get that urge every now and then to be a complete ass wipe to some random person on the trailways
am I the only one?
Some snarky remark as ya pass, then perhaps a backwards wave, how many fingers... optional

I don't like conflict. When I ride on trails, I generally turn the motor off. The only time I ride like a jackass is when I know I'm not putting other people at risk. Like that empty parking lot I was doing donuts in 3 weeks ago and flying around at 35+ mph, THAT is the perfect place for jackassery.

I do sometimes use the motor on trails, but usually when I have a clear view hundreds of feet in front of me and there's no one else there, and even then, only if I know the trail. THEN I'll fly by at 30+ mph. But it is a rare trail where I can do this because the majority of trail sections have trees and corners obstructing my view, and other people being present, thus usually I save the motor for the street. If there's other people on the trail, I ride with the motor off and generally pass by them at 5-10 mph, after notifying them that I'm approaching, and riding speeds when unobstructed are generally around 15-20 mph.

If I wanted to be trollish with my vehicle, I could always paint the next body shell pink and make the nosecone section a light brown or a brownish red and ride around blaring Satanic black metal out of a sound system. A hole in the front right where the stagnation point of the oncoming air occurs would be fully functional as well as fitting the aesthetic. :mrgreen:

I guess for me, Trollish would be hanging in behind some guy on a road bike wearing Lycra, smoking away, mumbling Tom Petty I usually have to find a far enough spot rear ward, but sometimes they dont want non of that so no cruise control, and faster then normal I go. Not speedy gonsalez, but moment of uninentions and I see a cloud of old geezers on an ebike train, and I'm conflicted. Its been an odd year with the new diy ebike explosion happening. Could just be tours for the local glitz happenin. I lay low, dont want to spend money for staycation, punks every where, rather bare it out till cold and fly southward to palms. Outer edges riding, you see some stuff man.

The Toecutter said:
If I wanted to be trollish with my vehicle, I could always paint the next body shell pink and make the nosecone section a light brown or a brownish red and ride around blaring Satanic black metal out of a sound system. :mrgreen:

Guys...excuse my lack of knowledge regarding DD hub motors but I need a little education please. I have a lot of experience with the MAC (geared hub) and the BBSHD (mid drive) but I don't have any hands on experience with a DD hub motor.

A. What are the nominal dimensions on the Leaf stator...are they 35mm wide and 205mm OD?

B. Are there any commonly available DD hub motors that have similar or higher performance for the same ballpark price? Grin Tech no longer carries the DD45 that was produced by MXUS (I believe) and most of the motors I can find with a 205mm diameter stator are 30mm or less in width/height.

C. Based on what I have found, the Leaf sort of hits a sweet spot between the 50mm wide QS and the motors that have a 30mm or narrower stator. Is that a fairly true statement or is the info I have incomplete?

That should get me started...Thank You.

There's a 2000W Leaf motor with a wider stator, but also wider axle spacing.

Yes, the Leafmotor is the sweet spot if you still want a 7sp and power in a standard dropout.
Can get a more powerful/heaver motor in the same dropout but you are reduced to a single speed.
Hubr1.jpg
The DD45 was 45mm wide and the leafmotor is 35mm. Big difference in weight and torque. the wider the slower.
Would have liked to have tried a DD45. When I vary from the leafmotor want to try Grin's front motor, maybe a pair of them.
by Bullfrog » Jul 13 2022 1:55pm

Guys...excuse my lack of knowledge regarding DD hub motors but I need a little education please. I have a lot of experience with the MAC (geared hub) and the BBSHD (mid drive) but I don't have any hands on experience with a DD hub motor.

A. What are the nominal dimensions on the Leaf stator...are they 35mm wide and 205mm OD?

B. Are there any commonly available DD hub motors that have similar or higher performance for the same ballpark price? Grin Tech no longer carries the DD45 that was produced by MXUS (I believe) and most of the motors I can find with a 205mm diameter stator are 30mm or less in width/height.

C. Based on what I have found, the Leaf sort of hits a sweet spot between the 50mm wide QS and the motors that have a 30mm or narrower stator. Is that a fairly true statement or is the info I have incomplete?

ZeroEm said:
Yes, the Leafmotor is the sweet spot if you still want a 7sp and power in a standard dropout.
Can get a more powerful/heaver motor in the same dropout but you are reduced to a single speed.
Hubr1.jpg
The DD45 was 45mm wide and the leafmotor is 35mm. Big difference in weight and torque. the wider the slower.
Would have liked to have tried a DD45. When I vary from the leafmotor want to try Grin's front motor, maybe a pair of them.
by Bullfrog » Jul 13 2022 1:55pm

Thanks ZeroEM.

If you were willing to live with a single speed freewheel, what DD Hub motor would you choose?

Chalo said:
There's a 2000W Leaf motor with a wider stator, but also wider axle spacing.

Thanks Chalo....If I do a DD hub motor, I will be putting it on the rear of a steel framed hardtail. I have two frames...one with a 135mm OLD and one with 142mm OLD. If you were willing to use a single speed freewheel, what DD hub motor would you pick if "High Power" was your objective...and by "High Power" I'd probably be using a 14s6p battery capable of 60 amps but I don't necessarily have to use the full capability of the battery. I also have a 20s/72v battery capable of a little more amperage if I don't use it on my bike with a BBSHD.

Bullfrog said:
If you were willing to use a single speed freewheel, what DD hub motor would you pick if "High Power" was your objective...and by "High Power" I'd probably be using a 14s6p battery capable of 60 amps but I don't necessarily have to use the full capability of the battery. I also have a 20s/72v battery capable of a little more amperage if I don't use it on my bike with a BBSHD.

At 60A from the battery, the Leafbike 1500W motor already is a good match, almost ideal. If you want something with more stator width and more torque, an MXUS 3kW or even a CroMotor would work beautifully and be capable of more continuous torque than any of the Leafbike variants.

At 52v and 35a the Leaf 5t 1500w is pretty good for me all the way through the 58.80v down to lvc of 42.00v, but I believe that hub motor would shine at 50-60a and 48 or 52v. On 36v and same 35a controller, the 36v is weak at its lower voltages for the batteries age, but its not fast either at those lower voltages so 48v+ and 40a+ would suit any ones non hilly requirements. I figure at 52v and 50a, I could conquer one twenty foot section of 25%+ section that whoops my butt every time, the other longer 15-20% section is doable but no pedaling required, everything else is just speed up to it, w.o.t. and pedal as you see fit. I dont know what the generic controllers phase amps ratio is set at, perhaps just 2:1

The Toecutter said:
Bullfrog said:
If you were willing to use a single speed freewheel, what DD hub motor would you pick if "High Power" was your objective...and by "High Power" I'd probably be using a 14s6p battery capable of 60 amps but I don't necessarily have to use the full capability of the battery. I also have a 20s/72v battery capable of a little more amperage if I don't use it on my bike with a BBSHD.

At 60A from the battery, the Leafbike 1500W motor already is a good match, almost ideal. If you want something with more stator width and more torque, an MXUS 3kW or even a CroMotor would work beautifully and be capable of more continuous torque than any of the Leafbike variants.

Out of my range have not tried anything bigger than a leafmotor. "BUT IF" a single speed was in my future! Would take a good look at the QS motor line and if you want all out bad then the QS 273 or lighter QS 205. There are threads here that talk about them. All depends on you anything more powerful than a leafmotor will be heaver and require more power. No free lunch.

The 1500w leafmotor is really a 2000w motor after that you would go to a 3000w motor then a 4-5000w after that you are out of the bike range, no sprockets.

by Bullfrog » Jul 14 2022 3:19pm

If you were willing to live with a single speed freewheel, what DD Hub motor would you choose?

calab said:
I dont know what the generic controllers phase amps ratio is set at, perhaps just 2:1

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable controller with high phase current? I’m after a bit more ‘punch’ in the low end than the stock controller.

Programmable controllers would do it as a basic function, even the Lyen which were XingJang?sp? controllers with a chip used that everyone would call that controller INFINION. Its your basic trapezodal/square wave but you control the settings via usb to your computer.

Kelly Controllers
Sevcon Controllers
BAC controllers, like what Grintech modded for their Phase/Franken-runner

theres more, drawing a blank :mrgreen:

electric_nz said:
calab said:
I dont know what the generic controllers phase amps ratio is set at, perhaps just 2:1

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable controller with high phase current? I’m after a bit more ‘punch’ in the low end than the stock controller.

Back