Less aggressive Fat Tire options

Chalo said:
JRP3 said:
One downside I'm noticing is on sharp turns at speed on pavement, especially when braking at the same time, the tires resist leaning at a certain point and feel like they are pushing back trying to straighten the bike up. Never felt anything like that before on any bike or motorcycle.

My experience with fat tires is that when they're run at low pressure (which is the reason to have them), they resist steering back up out of a turn, and have to be pushed back up. Fatbike dudes call this "self steering", though I find that name not very descriptive. This tendency can be subdued by adding lots of air pressure, but in that case... why fat tires?
What I'm experiencing seems to be the exact opposite of that, the bike stops wanting to lean into a turn and has no problem coming back up to straight. I'll play with tire pressure to see if that changes anything but I wonder if mounting the 4" tire on a rim that was made for 4.5" tire is causing a flatter more oval cross section on the narrower tire, possibly creating my issue?

BalorNG said:
Fat, slick, low pressure and *supple* tires are indeed very wierd when it comes to handling due to 'camber thrust' and 'camber torque' effects. And indeed, they add considerable 'return to center force', which is actually enough of a problem on motorgp bikes that riders have to 'overlean' very considerably and hang off the bike to keep up from high-siding due to combination of both force.
This is what I'm experiencing, though these are not slicks, and they feel stiffer than the knobbies I ran previously which did not have this issue.

Seems as if it's mostly pressure related, I guess I forgot to air up after some trail riding last time and they were only at 12psi. Went up to 20 and it was a big difference, dropped it to 18 and it was still fine, I'll keep experimenting to find the lowest I can set it for road work and monitor it better in the future.

Back