Linear Tech 12-cell battery monitor/BMS

methods said:
When soldering - instead of trying to solder each of the 250 pins the trick is to wet them with a high quality flux and use a large iron. You "paint them" more than anything - just running the iron down the row. Surface tension will do the rest of the work for you and you will have no bridges.

Most people think surface mount soldering is hard because they dont have the right tools and technique. Once you know how to do it - it becomes much easier and faster than thru-hole soldering.

-methods
Beautiful work! 8)

What kind of flux are you using? The stuff I have is too lumpy and thick.

Anything you do to simplify assembly will be worth it later. Terminating hundreds of wires can be real time consuming.

I'm really interested in the processes I've seen where they use a hot plate or a toaster oven to solder all the parts at once. Just don't drop the board on the way to the cooker!

I use "flux pens" - either Kester #186 or MG Chemicals #835-P.
DO NOT use Kester #2331-ZX water soluble - it sucks and it is CONDUCTIVE

For Steve's BMS I used the toaster oven method. I used solder paste in a syringe and "dotted" every pad, placed the parts with tweezers, and cooked them. Normally you would use a stencil for this but I did not want to spring for a stencil if I was going to make PCB changes. For fine pitched parts you just draw a line across the pins. Really is a sloppy job - and really does not matter - as the surface tension pulls everything true at cook-time.

However.....

Be very careful what oven you use. I used the oven in my Lab, which although was set to 450F, my board was way to close to the elements and I cooked the shit out of it. Ended up having to replace half the parts on the board (but that is another story)

anyhow

Flux is the lifeblood of soldering. Nearly any problem can be solved with enough flux. Cleanup is done with MG Chemicals "Heavy Duty Flux Remover" in the big can. There is adjustable pressure on the nozzle and it BLASTS flux away leaving the board sparkling. I also have 198 proof Alcohol that I use when I am feeling cheap or I have a lot to do.

-methods

You rock, dude. I'm going to have to try that sometime.
I think I'll start with something small that won't cost me too much if I overcook it.

The hot plate approach seems equally viable from what I've read. It might suck if your board is not perfectly flat though.

methods said:
voicecoils said:
(3 weeks in Portland + a few days in LA ... Livermore CA's somewhere in between?)

Just give me your flight number... I will use the 1W blue laser Luke left here to signal you in the plane as you fly over :mrgreen:

Missed my chance to get waved in by your lightsabres. That's actually in the news frequently here where high power lasers are banned and they're often trying to track down people aiming them from the ground to cockpits.

My flight, VA1 already touched down, my first flight across the pacific on a twin jet plane (777-300ER). LAX is mess, I'll PM you when I get up to PDX.

Also trying to imagine what your wildest dreams might entail :)

Jozzer's still waiting outside the post office in that 3 wheeler I gather ;)

He is going to have to wait... The more stuff I get going on this board the more surprises I am finding. :eek:
My beautiful hack-free board is starting to grow warts all over it. Fairy dust.... TVS diodes, double stacked caps, external oscillators, LPF's..... :?

Everything came out on the PCB perfectly according to design. Only problem was the design :mrgreen:

I need some TVS diodes that clamp hard at 5.5V but let 5V by without issue..... There are some RS485 drivers on my board that appear to be super sensitive to transient spikes. On another part (a fussy digital isolator) I found that just changing manufacturers (same footprint and behavior) eliminated a bad problem I had with isolators blowing out and shorting. Hit them just the wrong way and they would turn into a heater. These new parts I found though... rock solid :D

Thinking of trying a different manufacturer for the drivers... who would have thought that the cheapest ones were not the best choice .

-methods

Patrick, I think it's time for an update! How has development gone in this next step on your masterpiece?

Hi guys,

Poor Methy used up most of his remaining sanity getting several units made himeself by hand, and I'd like to say, what a feat! Superb layout and quality soldering! once he's recovered a bit he'll push on to write firmware/software and finish up testing. In the meantime, I'm playing around with packaging and cooling, here's a few snaps of the latest attemp at the slave casings

100_1641 (2).JPG

100_1645 (2).JPG

100_1644 (2).JPG

100_1643 (3).JPG

Methods BMS's on all the bikes on the TTXGP podium this weekend at Silverstone (except the one that caught fire and burnt to the ground!)
These were all last years discontinued models that have survived rain, vibration and accidents (which were all things improved upon in this latest version). kudos to Patrick!

Jozz

One of the hardest things to do while developing a new product is to make changes even when something already works.....

Everything in your body is telling you - "If it ain't broke, dont fix it!" - and that is sound advice if you are working on a finished product that someone else has already perfected. On the other hand - when it is your own prototype and you are in early development it is CRITICAL that you try new things - assemble it different ways - try different methods. In my experience the first way I come up with for doing something is usually the slowest, most painful way you could possibly imagine - and the results are about as good. With time though - and a willingness to take risk and try new methods the product slowly starts to get better.

Here is a good example - 50 pin flat flex cables. 100 total solder points. .050 spacing so rework is a nightmare... a mistake spells at least an hour of careful rework and possibly scraping a board (that already has an hour of work into it). These are 4 layer boards with 0.006 traces so if you peel a via you are done.

IMG_20110630_153617.jpg

Notice up at the top... first I was running one flat flex on either side of the PCB. This was actually by design - details I wont go into here - but what I failed to realize is that there would be interference issues with the RJ45 jack

So I made a change on the second from the top by swapping the inner and outer rows. This fixed the problem but it is still a crappy cable exit

By the 3rd from the top I have put both cables on one side. I still have to use the Kapton tape to avoid shorting the cables to via's on the board or eachother

By the bottom I have dialed it in... Cables lay flush and exit at 90 degrees. No tape is visible and it is easy to inspect and trim the pins.

I really was nervous each time I made a change. It seems trivial.... but once you have spent as long as I have soldering 0603 parts - the last thing on earth you want to do is risk scraping a board by making a stupid change that ends up not working (mind you - those cables are staggered and need to interface with another board on the other end)

IMG_20110630_153831.jpg

IMG_20110630_114407.jpg

Anyhow - another big realization I had was which side to solder the ribbons on. If you solder on the "pins" side what happens is that they are so close (0.050) that when you trim the pins all the solder pads mush together and you get shorts all over the place. To get around this I was doing all sorts of stupid stuff like trimming them with razor blades, pre-cutting the pins, etc. It is a total nightmare. Once I started soldering on the back side (non-pin side) I was able to just trim the pins with ease.

____

We went on NFEA 2011 Part 2 last weekend (hrm - never posted part one)

IMG_20110625_134158.jpg
IMG_20110625_190846.jpg

We tend to make very large fires by dragging dead trees or branches and just feeding them in as they burn. For this you sometimes need a 10' long stick to cook marshmallows. I made my stick for an even bigger fire - but the wet wood we had was not cooperating.

IMG_20110625_190504.jpg
-methods

Watch out! It looks like Luke's flame thrower next to the fire :twisted:

Glad to see you still have some sanity left. Fishing must be the solution. I think it's too late for me..

EVERY little change, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential can cause unforseen disasters. It's like walking around in a minefield. Great to see some progress there!

Back