LiPo V Lifepo4

Hi Everyone,

After a few months of using LiPo, I can say for sure that I have well gotten over my fear of it. It's just remarkable the amount of power you can pull from such a tiny pack and I'm only using a tiny bit of it, only pulling 60-70 peak from a 250 amp rated pack!

Going LiPo for the first time was a very daunting task and many thanks to all who helped me here at E.S! :D

Anyway, I have come to realise that the pack should last 300-500 cycles. Charging to 4.15 and not going much if at all below 3.5V per cell. I rarely use 8ah of the 10ah pack. It's amazing how far I can cycle on just 8 ah with the free wheeling ability of the mac. I can cycle 50 miles on just 5ah, so out of the full pack I could cycle nearly 100 miles!

Even if I were not cycling as much and using the full 10ah and getting 300-400 cycles, on the mac that 10ah full throttle would get me around 12 miles 30-35 mph maybe a little more, so that would be 400 cycles x 12 miles =4800 miles total , that would be about 1 year at about 12 miles a day for 7 days a week. at a cost of 240 Dollars, for 15S Zippy. A 48V 10ah Ping is 350 Dollars, but would last twice as long a little more, making it cheaper over all. (or would it?)

There is one thing though, the ping is a 1C rated battery, so it wouldn't give me the 60-70 ah peak my bike is hungry for, or even run it at 30 mph, the mac consumes about 1200 watts to go 30 mph @ 48 volts that would be 20 amps, and 2C, okay, the ping could do it, but it would probably shorten it's life by half! so the ping costs 700 Dollars to run for the year!

Now the better A123 batteries such as the ones cell-man offers are 10C rated 100% dod 1000 cycles will cost 550 Dollars for 11.5 ah 52 volts, 15S 20C 10ah Zippy LiPo costs 240 Dollars 300-500 cycles.

So in other words cell-man's A123 pack would last 3 years and cost 550 Dollars, making cell-man's A123 52 volt 10 ah pack cheaper for sure, and have the advantage of bms, where the LiPo would cost 720 for the 3 years!

Now I won't be using my lipo that much at all, and not much over winter, so my guess is that it will last me 3 years anyway.

The way I see it though is the C rating of cell-mans A123 is more than enough for most high power use, and works out the cheapest in the long run and is ideal for the every day commuter especially if the extra weight is not an issue, and of course plug in and forget charging!. The ping unfortunately is only good for low 1C use and is not really practical for high power use!

The LiPo is more than good for me simply because of the crap weather I don't get the chance for every day use and in 3 years something much better will be around, so do I really want LiFeP04 that will last 6 years when I can have something much better by the time I need a new battery?

What do you think?

Mark

Well, I think a ping lasts longer than a year. I finally killed my first one after about 700 cycles. 3.5 years old. I think my average c rate was pretty close to 1c most of the time, and this was the earlier 1c cells, not the 2c cells sold now.

The main thing is how you use it. Obviously if you ever need more than 25 amps or so, then A123 or lipo is a much better choice. The higher c rate stuff, particularly lipo, can allow you to carry a much smaller battery for shorter trips. I find that much nicer too. Love my lipo on the off road bike. I've worn out a few packs early, but the rest that were treated nicer are lasting fine, and are now one year old.

But if the use is to ride at 15 amps average, and ride for an hour or more, then the pings work just fine.

Hi dogman,

oh yeah, I've nothing against ping batteries at all and my 20ah 48 volt is still going strong. But afaik ping cells are rated at 1000 cycles @1C or less, according to his site anyway ?

I'm sure that like me if you are not abusing the ping every day then it will last years. If I was commuting I would probably have kept my ping, but the reason I went LiPo in the first place was because I needed a much smaller and lighter pack and 10ah is plenty considering how much I pedal.

And the figures I came up with anyway were for about 60 miles a week and I'm sure that's a realistic figure for most commuters, possibly more. I would have a larger pack anyway to make sure I didn't have to charge up at work. And I suppose the extra capacity would help increase life.

I wish I had a job that was close to home and didn't involve the massive fuel taxes!

Mark

Im running my ping v2.5 at 3c peaks for like 3 months now, and its doing fine. Always balanced, but I never run it over 80% SOC. It does sag alot more that lipo or A123, but its unfair to call it a 1C battery.

Even tho if I was to start over I would probably go Lipo!
:)

Keep in mind cycled or not Lipo will age via calender degradation if left charged. I don't think the modern cells are as bad as they used to be but it still happens more on them than Lifepo4, and Lithium Manganese Oxide.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries said:
liioncalender.jpg

With A123, you could expect 10 year calendar life, I believe you could easily get over 1000 cycles with 100% DOD, I honestly don't believe 10c on them is going to hurt them all that much.

Hi Magudaman,

That's interesting, thanks.

LiFeP04 may have a longer calender life, the only thing is the cycle life. It may even have 1000 cycles but it will still last only 2-3 years from usage, so 10 year calender life is irrelevant for this purpose.

If one was to ride 12 miles a day (based on my own setup) that would be maxing out the pack and 100% dod (or almost charging to 4.15 ) that's why I said 400 cycles in the beginning. That would equal 4368 miles a year for 12 miles 7 days a week.

So 1000 cycles x 12 = 12000 miles capability of the 10ah LiFeP04 pack so roughly 3 years at just 12 miles a day, or half if you had to charge twice and do 24 miles a day!

Of course you could increase the ah to 20 if you wanted and that would mean your pack would last 6 years, but that's heavy!

I think I would rather the LiPo because it's lighter and it does the job, and it's cheaper to buy even if the LiFep04 lasts longer to begin with, with the advances in battery technology something better will be available in 3 years and I'm sure LiPo will be a lot cheaper then too making it even more attractive. I don't want a heavy LiFeP04 when I know better lighter batteries are only a few years away. And my Light LiPo does the job for now!

I don't think it's long before we can ride around with a 20ah pack that weighs the same or less than a 10ah LiPo pack!

It's clear that you like the lipo best. Nothing else really matters. Lipo rocks when you want high amps, and small size which means lighter. (much lighter because you can carry as little as 5 ah) A year later, it still amazes me how small a 72v 10 ah pack can be. Not that much lighter than ping of the same watthours, but it sure is smaller.

While the ping still works great for poking around at 48v or less. Still the perfect battery for the way I commute.

o00scorpion00o said:
After a few months of using LiPo, I can say for sure that I have well gotten over my fear of it

That's a recipe for disaster... never EVER lose your fear of it!

With all due respect Texas MaN :) I don't think "fear" is the right word, I think we need to respect the capabilities of lipo batteries, and understand well what could very well happen if the limits of the lipo are not respected, but fear I think not... Jm2cw on the subject....

Pretty obvious i'm lipo addict, and I 100% agree with what the ol DoGMaN said, there isn't anything better at this time than lipo...

KiM

You don't need to fear lipo, you just need to be aware what you are doing with it. You want to be just as careful not to damage the pouches of a ping pack for instance.

Despite a few packs that have caught fire that have been documented here, lipo that is not treated wrong rarely has problems. So if you chuck packs that have been damaged you should be ok.

But you still need to respect it enough to store it in a place that is safe.

texaspyro said:
o00scorpion00o said:
After a few months of using LiPo, I can say for sure that I have well gotten over my fear of it

That's a recipe for disaster... never EVER lose your fear of it!

You're right, but I have come to realise that through proper use of LiPo it is safe enough, but do I store it in the house? no way. I do realise the risks, and take the precautions. But so far so good!

Mark

999zip999 said:
A rattlesnake would be fun to own, But can;t let your friends play will it.

Indeed, but would you really let your friends play with your 2K + bike? I sure as hell wouldn't!

Nor could I possibly loan it to a family member or even my girlfriend because I simply could not expect them to understand how to charge it, or appreciate the risks. People totally underestimate the power of these bikes, and batteries. They seem to think it's like a toy because it's got a battery!

Mark

Some of the bikes we build are no toys. I definitely would hesitate to set up a buddy with no experience with lipo.

Re storage, get some kind of metal box to store em in. Then put the box on a non flamable surface. A scrap of sheetrock makes a good table topper. Lucky me, I have a tile fireplace hearth. Seldom used ovens are a great spot too. Perfect for a batchelor anyway, that would just microwave all food.

If you use ammo cans, don't seal up the lids, creating a pressure vessel. You want a leaky metal box. Like an old toolbox.

999zip999 said:
A rattlesnake would be fun to own, But can't let your friends play will it.

That's certainly true! I gave mine, Fluffy, to a friend... and he ate it... :evil:

I'd like to hear the experiences of people with lifepo4 batteries on a bike.
A couple of years ago I knew someone who went through two failures in quick succession. She lived on a gravel road with a cattle grid so I suspected the vibration caused the problems. So my next question is: is the construction of lifepo cells vulnerable to vibration?
Also it is generally agreed that LiPo cells have a longer life if not discharged more than 80% of capacity. Does the same rule apply to lifepo4, or can they handle 100% discharge?

sapo said:
I'd like to hear the experiences of people with lifepo4 batteries on a bike.
A couple of years ago I knew someone who went through two failures in quick succession. She lived on a gravel road with a cattle grid so I suspected the vibration caused the problems. So my next question is: is the construction of lifepo cells vulnerable to vibration?
Also it is generally agreed that LiPo cells have a longer life if not discharged more than 80% of capacity. Does the same rule apply to lifepo4, or can they handle 100% discharge?

I've been using Lifepo4 cells in very rough off road conditions for over 2 year now, with no failures. I have just over 1400 miles on the bike as of now too. Even though I have full suspension, I can tell you they have gone through quite a bit of vibration over the years. Most of those miles were on dirt. I suspect your friends problem was from poor build quality from the start.

I'm pretty sure that the construction of Lifepo4 and other lithium chemistry's have similar internal structures. There is also a difference between a Cylindrical cells and polymer type or pouch cells that come in all flavors of lithium.

I think almost all chemistry's benefit from shallower depth of discharge (DOD). You will increase cycle life, maintain better balance, and end up with less cell heating. Lifepo4 definitely doesn't have any problems with 100% DOD and you can expect around 1000 cycles or more to 80%. LiPo at 100% DOD usually gets around 300 - 400 cycles to 80%.

I will guess that the lipo batteries that failed on a dirt road were made from hundreds of round cells, which were spot welded to strips of metal for the contacts. That type of battery, often sold by V power hong kong, had a very bad reputation for the spot welds popping loose and disconnecting cells. And there was a lot of poorly made bms units too, that failed a lot.

My Pingbattery lifepo4 batteries are constructed differently, with pouch cells that are soldered togeter at the contact to a small pcb board. You still have to protect them from injury, such as a bike falling over or a crash. Once in a solid box my pings have taken quite some abuse. One time a battery box lid failed on a dirt road cut by washes, and next thing I know there goes the battery flying over my shoulder. Landed about 10 feet ahead of me. Still inside the battery box, no telling how many times I went over the bars on dirt trails. Plenty of pounding.

They do have to be carried properly though. I would say as much as 70% don't. People just thow em in a trunk bag or pannier, and let em rattle around loose and unprotected.

Aside from letting them get puntured or holes rubbed in em, pouch cells are pretty much indestructible. Nothing moving around inside the cell. So pretty vibration proof.

Chargers on the other hand, get rattled to pieces all the time by people that carry them around. They are not designed to ride on the bike.

You can discharge lipo or lifepo4 to 100%, just not past that. But in practical terms, the bms may be set slightly less than 100%. My pings did need more balancing after discharges till the bms shut them off, and stayed balanced for months at a time when used at about 70%. dod.

Nothing better than lipo right now, i agree.
Lifepo4 is a joke in my opinion unless we're talking about A123.

But if i was telling a family member or a friend that wasn't technically skilled what pack to buy, i would tell them just go pick up a lifepo4 pack. Better than telling someone to buy something that could burn their house down.

I want to see the higher output NMC batteries come to life though... i will hop off the lipo ship in a jiffy when they mature.

I've seen laptop battery, original OEM COMPAQ/HP with 6600mAH 14.5v for $12.99 each. Would lithium-ion last longer than lipo?

adobian said:
I've seen laptop battery, original OEM COMPAQ/HP with 6600mAH 14.5v for $12.99 each. Would lithium-ion last longer than lipo?

No, their basically the same chemisty, lipo is in a pouch and liion is in a cyclinder cell. Those laptop batteries are only rated for maybe 2c so 13 amps and even that might be pushing it. I'm sure that pack is just 3 parallel strands of cells of 18650 cells.

Actually those laptop batteries are often rated for 1C or less.

Run them above 1C and they won't last too long!

RC Lipos are rated at 300 cycles typically but with pampering, you can definitely eke 600, maybe 1000 cycles out of them.

Havne't tried LiPo yet, but see my Vpower and Volgood repair threads for possible issues with certain types of LiFePO4 packs:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30864
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22750

neptronix said:
Actually those laptop batteries are often rated for 1C or less.

Run them above 1C and they won't last too long!

RC Lipos are rated at 300 cycles typically but with pampering, you can definitely eke 600, maybe 1000 cycles out of them.

This is what they are rated and will do.

New oem laptop battery packs are where these batteries are used.

http://www.batteryonestop.com/baotongusa/products/datasheets/li-ion/Samsung-SDI-ICR18650-26A.pdf

I agree with Neptronix, for the uneducated on LiPo care, definitely LiFeP04!

Most people that don't understand about LiPo will probably be on their first or 2nd build and not quiet ready for the high power a lot of us use and so Ping is fine for that. I wasn't too concerned about C rate or cycle life when I built my first bike. I hadn't even an idea what "C" rate was anyway! :D

But the more I educated myself on batteries and the different chemistry's, I realised for my new build liFeP04 just hadn't a chance in a 10ah high power pack. I wanted something as light as possible and pulling 70 amps peak was just too much from a 10 ah ping and most LiFeP04's out there!

The A123 are fairly good but ready made packs are just woefully expensive for my liking. I would take twice the capacity any day over cycle life. I think capacity means a lot more than cycle life for weight critical applications like mine. I wanted something light for pedalling and be able to give me the power for the occasional and highly illegal sprint down the main road or fly up a steep hill and no other battery could do that for me and be as small and light as my LiPo!

But for the commuter who might not pedal much and want to arrive to work not covered in sweat then A123 is the way to go. And if your boss lets you charge at work then you are sorted because you can get away with half the battery and half the cost and it's simple to charge and you don't have to plug in your cell-logs all the time to keep check on balance, or worry that you might have drained a cell too far!

But as for NMC as Neptronix was talking about, are they the Ni-co-nm or something like that that I see pop up on e-bike sites?

That's the future tech for Nissan I believe ? the packs I see on line are very light indeed, probably half that again of LiPo. So maybe Nissan are right that they will have half the capacity by 2015 for Gen II Leaf ?

Does anyone know the cycle life of them ? I can't seem to find out much about them!

It would be nice to see HK with a few high C cells appear, but I guess that's a long time away yet!

Mark

Back