LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

Some details of the new dropouts and LMX81 motor plates

IMG_20160926_171546.jpg

IMG_20160926_171608.jpg

IMG_20160926_173414.jpg

I love the Dropouts, if you add exchangeable damper mounts, diffrent size rear Wheels would be possible.
Vor example a 26 DH rear tire with a Schwalbe porcore inner Tube. I use procore in my 29rear wheel and it made an paper thin 29x 3.0 xc tire survive a DH weekend without any problems.

i like the new shape of the alu frame. More space in front of the motor. But there still is space to lower the COG and move it more forward/add more battery
A sub 7kg frame is awesome, keep up the good work! Does this frame take >3kWh of lipo like a qulbx 140? The bat compartment looks smaller, but the looks may trick me
file.php

Attachments

• more_bat.jpg
    more_bat.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,196
Our standard battery box for the 161 fit 160 cells with room for 176 with some adjustements, that is a good 80km offrood range with 3.5Ah cells and already 8 kg in weight :wink: with 160 cells, the bike already has more capacity than a 75kg electric motion and only 500wh less than a 105kg KTM, with comparable or faster battery swapping capabilities than both.

The COG is actually dropped dramatically compared to even our P2.3 frames, and the new suspension linkage we are trying now drops the shock and swingarm weight down even more.
The pedal + hub motor version ( now in developpement) could have a auxiliary battery box where the mid drive motor usually fits for 3kwh+ for those power hogs hub motors. Our hard enduro power usage is about 45-50 wh/km max with the big block, more like 40 Wh/Km average on a ride, and 25wh/km is perfectely doable if you are easy on the throttle or using eco mode.

bzhwindtalker said:
The pedal + hub motor version ( now in developpement)...
I guess that means the Pedal version wont be a mid drive... Too bad, I was hoping this would have been an alternative to the Neematic :)

bzhwindtalker said:
...could have an auxiliary battery box where the mid drive motor usually fits for 3kwh+ for those power hogs hub motors.
If so then definitely offer to use the space for either a bigger battery box or a second one.

scrambler said:
bzhwindtalker said:
The pedal + hub motor version ( now in developpement)...
I guess that means the Pedal version wont be a mid drive... Too bad, I was hoping this would have been an alternative to the Neematic :)

We also have the plan for a mid drive version, possibly in combinaison with a 2 speed box for the engine, but that will take more time than the hub drive wich is pretty straigthforward. We also have the option of "clown" type of pedalling up to 15kph or so with a simple setup that may interest some.

bzhwindtalker said:
We also have the plan for a mid drive version, possibly in combinaison with a 2 speed box for the engine, but that will take more time than the hub drive wich is pretty straigthforward.

Can you share more about this already?
Will you have a second chain between the BB and the motor axle, with a geared BB like an ATS/Schlumpf or a Pinion (what Neematic uses), or will you have an actual Motor + Geared BB integrated (I don't know of any with high power)

Have just ordered a front rim for my ebike. Looking forward for this knobby thing :) Looks like being perfect for some aggressive offoad riding :mrgreen:

Ordered the thumb throttle and finally got it on my bike. Always thought a twist was the best option. I'd never seen a dirt bike without one. Come to find out my times are much better now. Dirt bikes have foot brakes duh. Having to keep changing my grip was slowing me down with the twist. Won't go back, unless I get some foot brakes, which would really be a nice upgrade. I also rode with a vertical thumb throttle and that was even worse for me than a twist. Get the lmx version. I'm converted.

I would like to see the thumb throttle also for the left hand side. With this: one the right, one the left hand side you could accelerate and with the other one controll the regen braking perfectly...! 
Does this thug throttle do exist for the left side? Does anyone know?

yes, there are left and right version if you talking about wuxing thumb throttle. I use left side for regen brake, works the best.

I mean the left to right push thumb throttle from LMX as it seems to be way more comfortable then the stock, normal push thumb throttles. I don't know if it is also a wuxing. 

Nope you are right image is down, my bad for linking facebook's URLs
We filed in for the patent of the dual freewheel hub late last year, we now have to find a way to show how it works and why we think it is superior to both hub motor drives and bike chain/derailleur mid drives >1000w

We are delivering the first 3 frames next week for LMX 81

15304497_606049329582151_622544187425358430_o.jpg

15777093_619308251589592_3308811427320256498_o.jpg

15895995_619294408257643_703550920462517063_o.jpg

Here a look at the new version of the LMX 161, we will finish first frame in one month or so, we have to validate suspension geometry, also in the works a 2 speed dog clutch gear box :

15800152_617965148390569_5787786226782852670_o.jpg

Awesome, these new bikes so look so beautiful! 

A question: What material are your mudguards made out of? 

Your bikes are evolving so well. From your first bikes you built on here to where you are now is just amazing. Your eye for detail is spot on and the way you are getting into more complex suspension design will catapult you into big time success in no time. I've had a lot of motorcycles in my time and this thing just looks excellent.

My only concern is the bicycle tires. Have you built one using 19 and or 21" motorcycle rims/tires? Even doing 2.5 or 2.75 tires would be a small weight increase but longevity and lack of flat tires would make this the total package.

Unfortunately where I live I have to have an bike type object with peddles and I read the 81 wasn't made for big battery packs......I like 30 + mile range even if I don't peddle and ride like I stole it.

I have no place around here to ride a motorcycle otherwise I'd be all over your 161.

Again, Great work.

Tom

We have a moto wheel option for the 161 and lmx 2.3 bikes, here is what a 19"*2.75 with 1.4" rim looks like on a 2.3 :
15577983_609740402546377_8260327280157662523_o.jpg
15578191_609740435879707_6659181408212884874_o.jpg
This bike was built by Emax ebikes in Australia.

Weight penalty is 2kg per wheel, so for front and back wheel it will make quite a difference on the total bike weight. We still have to find a tire that gives more grip than a Halo contra 24"x3" but yep any bicycle tire is pretty much on the edge with this kind of power. The halos last about 300km before the thread is worn off in the middle.

About the lmx 81, it was designed at first to fit 14S5P, now 14S6P fits in those frames. The next frames will have different battery door opening that will cost less to manufacture and will allow to fit a 16S6P battery pack. That would be a 57v 18ah pack with samsung 30Q or LG HG2 cells.

Thanks for the pictures....looks great. I'd totally eat the weight penalty for piece of mind and to never have the "Walk of shame" from a flat again.

I could live with an 18 amp pack. I'll keep an eye for that next frame to come out.

Thanks,

Tom

We tested some things but it is not really on the spectrum any more now that we found ways to put so much battery in the 81. We think it is wiser to push for the L1e (moped) EU certification for the 161.

bzhwindtalker said:
We think it is wiser to push for the L1e (moped) EU certification for the 161.
that would be great^^
however this doesn't mean that you cannot have pedals :mrgreen:
I wish you all the best, and i hope it will go without any bigger problems or big expenditure of money.

in october last year i made one of my bikes registerd as L1e moped 8) (btw: the "e" doesn't stand for electric drive)
At the beginning it probably is better if you make a single vehicle approval on every single bike, because it won't be that expensive, and later then a serial approval.
the insurance for such vehicle here in Austria is about 35€ per year, and the coverage in case of damage is 1Mio €

Back