Locks Dray Build

Ya man... Have other stuff too like Headway cells and G-F BMS and controller and charger and DC-DC converter... The front hub ain't exactly as pictured (that's a Nine Continent) but actually a cast 16" made by Crystalyte years ago. The cast vs spokes is a trade-off, weight versus wire spokes. And the hub is direct-drive not geared... After ten years of thinking about all this stuff and almost two years of acquiring components I'm sitting with this pile of stuff and it looks like next month (August) I will have a scooter built around all this but I still have mixed feelings about hub versus RC and chain, direct drive versus geared. I think after August I'll start buying all the bits like RC motor and ESC and chain and sprockets and spoked 16" wheel and re-do the front-end. Replace the hub. Compare the diff. hub vs RC, all else equal...

Oh yah... I got into the habit a while back of having a Memento Mori on my scoots too... Functions like an extra pair of eyes for me... a reminder to scoot "sane"... that death is all around me... mostly riding on four wheels...
Lock

Lock said:
Ya man... Have other stuff too like Headway cells and G-F BMS and controller and charger and DC-DC converter... The front hub ain't exactly as pictured (that's a Nine Continent) but actually a cast 16" made by Crystalyte years ago. The cast vs spokes is a trade-off, weight versus wire spokes. And the hub is direct-drive not geared... After ten years of thinking about all this stuff and almost two years of acquiring components I'm sitting with this pile of stuff and it looks like next month (August) I will have a scooter built around all this but I still have mixed feelings about hub versus RC and chain, direct drive versus geared. I think after August I'll start buying all the bits like RC motor and ESC and chain and sprockets and spoked 16" wheel and re-do the front-end. Replace the hub. Compare the diff. hub vs RC, all else equal...

Oh yah... I got into the habit a while back of having a Memento Mori on my scoots too... Functions like an extra pair of eyes for me... a reminder to scoot "sane"... that death is all around me... mostly riding on four wheels...
Lock

Nothing like a dream coming together, eh Lock? :mrgreen:

While I'm acquiring my parts one by one too. I have been thinking of my next project. RC Pocket Bike. I have a rolling chassis of one and am very keen to make the V2 pocket bike. The old one wasn't very effective at all.

What frame are you using if any? Custom build?
Jake

only1jake said:
What frame are you using if any? Custom build?
Jake

Yah. The ME guy doing the work rides motorcycles, used to race MCs and part-time these daze builds custom roll cages... His young son and daughter both love their kick scooters. He bought his wife an A2B this summer and he's been riding that around too... He's pretty stoked about building a little EV... wanted to know if I had heard of White Zombie and Killacycle :lol:

Looks like the deck will have sides using a water-cut trellis construction. Battery cassette/scooter deck w/smoked plastic top to show off blinky BMS leds 8)

Lock

Thought some might find this amusing:
View attachment Dray_Rear_Suspension.jpg

Just a mockup... dimensions etc... The guys insist on rear suspension. Wasn't my idea. I'm only used to no suspension but pneumatic tires. I'm mostly concerned about the pivot point being so far behind the wheel? Possibility of "jack-knife"? Dunno.

Lock

talk about being green lock. youre using wood for your build...lol. just kidding.

interesting setup. im taking an implication that it is suppose to go through all types of weather and more of an urban terrain. i would never think to use a hub motor up front and put smaller wheels in the back that just literally get "dragged." its like a scooter version of a penny-farthing...lol

:)
Front-wheel drive to prevent wheelies... Not hard to do eg on a 400W approx. Currie-designed scoot. Plus for winters, with a more agressive front tire, for frolicking through snow in the parks and some daze when the roads/sidewalks aren't cleared yet. Yah. Totally urban.
loCk

BTW... not sure but it looks like two Xootr wheels on the back??? (I gave `em one plus one "spare") Not sure watts up with that! I insist on a vehicle strong enough for me plus gal and picnic, so maybe the two wheels "work" for sufficient strength? (They are cast aluminum. No idea watt weight one only can carry.) I'll ask about spreading them apart... Nice thing about three wheels (one plus two spread apart) is no kick stand needed...
loK

Well, well...

The stuff ya find poking around the bowels of ES. My daughters saved a sketch I did already post here on ES, here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16413&p=240478#p240478
4374319603_0c11a21d42_o.jpg

... back in Feb, 2010.

And by June, 2010 I was starting to throw parts together (this thread).

Kinda interesting watt ya might forget all about when ya splatter your brains on the floor (multiple brain injuries, several broken ribs, broken shoulder, genetic defect. And so on.)

Perhaps my life had fallen apart in some wayz by late September, 2012 (when police responded to somebuddy finding my lifeless body at the foot of a long staircase).

NO idea where this stuff all disappeared off to. Anybuddy of you ES Wild Bunch (oh, sorry, name already taken) can point me to any similar-like product now already out there please?

Otherwise, I am tempted to start all over again. (Not me, but Phoenix Ebike Promotions. Costs are a tax writeoff, eh? Hehe...)

(Well, that'd be my story, anyway.)

Hehe

Did you need it to be luggage to put stuff in, then convert to transportation at a whim? If so, haven't run across a thread of such a device.

But, I recall a thin, square shaped object that transformed into an non-pedaled Ebike. I think it had 10-12" wheels. The only reason for the transformation was its compact nature to be carried into workplaces, bus, trains, etc. I remember the thing scooted along at about 15 mph. Personally, I wouldn't soup the thing past 25 mph for safety's sake :lol: .

"Did you need it to be luggage to put stuff in, then convert to transportation at a whim?"

Exactly M. "Stuff" EXACTLY like luggage, for groceries... small children, small furry animals, drugs, etc. And etc. Luggage to put luggage into. WattEVer. "Cargo" maybe another word for its contents. But yeah, fold up luggage-like that one can use (or not) to fill/add other "luggage" in to. "Pod" another word maybe.

A powered exoskeleton in miniature, that could be a plastic "bubble" popped from a mould, or made from more funky/fun stuff like biodegradable white canvas over a bamboo frame. (Paint/personalize yer ride, "dayglo" colours, etc, anybuddy? Slip another/different "pillow case" over on Saturday? Oooops. Tomorrow's Sunday. Better not use the Purple Jesus picture one, might be Christians about.)

One operative word too is AERODYNAMIC, designed to slip through the air (speaking of "pillow slips").

Options too include a belt or suspenders to belt around the outside that more stuff can be clipped to. (Think soldiers gear they wear around their bodies/waists.)

In balance-speak, weight added lower down ideally, to make device more "stand up"/controllable/stable. (Weight too high up, vehicle falling (tipping over) bad.)

But other clip-on options, small speakers (two for better stereo sound) added as clip-ons to fold out handlebars for inside radio/sound generating device, eg portable telephone. (Should add directional microphone to list of accessories.)

Anyway. Basic premise, fold-down (and back up again) back "deck" to stand on with fold out handles (fold out of pod, not the deck, silly!). Out of bottom of... device, a front wheel with uncomplicated hub motor, and motor controller and bettery charger (sp?) and bettery (sp?) pack built in... somewhere. (Pack fast swappable too of course.)

Or (maybe more complications), separate inside motor that spins gear, and chain to gear on axle.

Other operative words, SIMPLE and QUICK to assemble, and fold deck up/out/down. And RELIABLE.

Re top speeds? I suppose REALLY fast (jumping off a cliff - should add water-proof to the list of features, for when hitting the lake at the bottom of the jump), but if EG 25mph, I have found that max speed on level ground or up hills comfortable for getting around town last year (while passing hundreds of other travellers in their wheeled contraptions - "cars" I believe they refer to them as - while they do the stop-and-go dance and smell each others butts).

Remember, overall priorities are SAFETY, and to KILL THE 20th-century HORSELESS CARRIAGE. (I have a theory, that getting around town faster while spending waaay less money, laughing all the way may be strong inducement to GET THE HADES OUT OF THAT DAMN STINKMOBILE.

PS. I might joke around here and there, but am totally consumed with the idea of wheeled travel in urban environments that is a CAR KILLER. (Instead of the situation being in reverse, where the car has already killed waaay too much else.)

Interesting... I mentioned earlier in this thread (above) a thread titled "the great napkin exchange", said thread started first by Master Gestalt, but again:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16413

... and said thread seems to have died out back in October, 2012? (Watt some might find unfortunate, but anywayz.)

In THAT thread I mentioned Capital Gs though about "the vehicle stands up by itself when the deck is lowered and locked is attractive". And I mentioned "inline skate blade" for a back wheel. But snow/slush aside, now I'm thinking a swiveling/trailing blade, with swivel towards front end of blade so that it naturally follows the front wheel, but when vehicle stopped (at "rest"), said skate blade can be kicked out/sideways to convert into a back stand. Such that vehicle stands up by itself a la three-wheeled vehicle.

You ES Ruffians and Masters like?

I know that these daze (sp?), funding via stuff like "KickStarter", etc. are popular mechanisms for financing, but my idea is a kinda simple one, and anybuddy could try this "on the cheap", with mostly off-the-shelf bits.

And in that thread I noted "It's actually a public transit vehicle that melds w/electric streetcars and subways... for the "last mile"/local urban trips..."

So, pubic transit (sp?)... In theory, public $$$ might fund a demo project?

My problem is, I don't care about making any money (!!!). I come from a long line of folks that have served the pubic (sp?).

And in that Napkin thread, Capital G said:
genius, it would be the ultimate "no fuss, no muss" solution for taking your e-ride on the train or bus. If you made it out of that really rough textured, durable black plastic, the kind pelican cases are made of no one would ever suspect it wasn't just some weird suitcase. Would make it easy to travel with, I'm seeing this in Hammacher Schlemmer, or sky mall. It would really appeal to the traveling business man and especially business women. I remember watching some talk on ebikes some time ago where they were saying that statistically women are more friendly to the idea of ebikes, so i suppose a red edition is warranted. The casing would actually seem to make a nice fairing for the legs.

The reason why I write ANYTHING online is for others to poke holes in my efforts.

My theory? Ya gotta have lots of BAD ideas, before one GOOD idea pops out. The trick is, recognizing the bad from the good.

So I would very much appreciate it if someone would speak up and punch some holes in this project.

Please and thank you.

Still surfing through my images saved to PeeBucket... thought this GIF might get thrown into this thread. (Not actually bettery-electric (sp?) but pretty much like my first electric two-wheeler.)

The eSkate maybe came close to the Dray approach, but no bananas. Where d'you put the groceries? And aerodynamically, like the proverbial barn door? (Incidently, currently re eSK8.com "This domain may be for sale.")

Ya know... (revisiting this "old" thread). My life having "fallen apart" someWatt in interim, kinda amused another reading here hasn't yet "fab'ed" this "Dray" concept yet? (Or *anything* as maybe "similar"-ish???)

Hmmm... So. NObuddy interested in stepping up? OK. Sweeten the deal maybe. By this post on the website spoken of as "ES"(.com)/wattEVer, I the ...errr... ummmm... signed somewhere do forfeit all title to the "Dray" idea spoken of in this forum thread. HOWEVER (ya, always a catch, right?), some small but significant share of any annual net profits to go to support the Krew aboard Endless-sphere.com (website overhead expenses).

Too busy plotting and fomenting rebellion to think about this at the moment. (Local sight-seeing by "Zeppelin", local traveling via funicular, etc.) Oh yah. And trying to dump thoughts re how to get new ebiker Biz Phoenix Ebike Promotions running ta make me some $$$. Errr... somehow. TBA

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52981&view=unread#p943391

On Alt. Planet "ES"... A Master of Ebikery "Spend some time reading on Vetter's website. Round in the front, pointed at the rear - that's the moto. That's aerodynamics."

... made me think re this thread.

(Now that it has morphed into a class project. hehe. All masterly inputs welcome of course.)

Seriously. NOBuddy on Alt. Planet ES wanna play w/this Dray concept for urban shoppers???

"Service temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later."

Although online [C]omments... not too favourable? Here, one guy (Master G) at least "genius, it would be the ultimate "no fuss, no muss" solution for taking your e-ride on the train or bus". (in the thread "the great napkin exchange")
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16413

Said just now on ES (re battery cell placements):
"This location is optimal as you would want to keep center of gravity down as well to balance the huge weight of the motor in the rear ."

With the Dray, weight of cells in platform (? or low-down, and maybe "lumped" with weight of motor (also low-ish to ground).

Yes?

Stuff I wrote on March 26, 2008 at 7:48PM.(recently resurfaced, and sorry if it appeared here on ES or elsewhere already)

Energy Waste
Dray energy costs work out to about one cent per passenger mile when energy is bought at current rates from Toronto Hydro. (Note in Red pen: Never operate with empty seats or any time out of service.)

(Ed.note of explanation: "Dray" refers to earlier project for baggage married to electric stand up (and kick) wheeled boards as public transportation.)

Precious hydrocarbons WASTED AS DIRTY FUEL.
The electrical power of the Dray may come from numerous sources, including truly renewable sources. About the only place they don't take power from Big Oil and tar sands.

Air Pollution
No tailpipe or exhaust anywhere if energy from truly renewable sources.

Water Polllution
No cooling, braking etc. fluids to leak onto city pavements and into sewage and drinking water systems.

Battery Pollution
Drays and their battery packs are maintained by transit services, and spent battery packs are *ALL* recycled. Lithium battery chemistry provides still 80% of battery pack capacity after over 3,000 "cycles"... So Dray packs last 2-3 years in normal service.

Obesity caused in part by lack of exercise.
The Dray is a true hybrid. Comfortable to kick which makes kicking an *option*, for exercise and for warmth in winter. Stop and go urban commutes become a mix of standing, walking, steps up/down, kicks, and power from winds, solar, etc. The Dray is a running machine for pedestrians.Isolation of suburban youth.
Urban sprawl grows young people isolated by distance. No more need to travel strapped into the back of a "minivan", on a parents or a friends schedule...

Road Rage
Car travelers today are isolated by glass and steel cases and cell phone.
They communicate with "traffic" around them by honk and flashing light and hand signals... Getting travelers out of four wheels and onto two wheels transforms communications between drivers. They evolve to use spoken language, sophisticated phrases like "Good Morning" and "Excuse Me" and "Thank You". "Hullo" even.

Underfunded public transit.
The Drays are designed to operate at a profit for the transit service.
Traditional cost structures are turned around.

(Noted in black pen: Charge at offpeak rates... riders pay for "gas" (electricity).)

Loss of manufacturing in Ontario.
Drays are assembled by the transit service.

Quality of life issues for public transit drivers.
Drivers are reassigned to happier and healthier pursuits in building and maintaining Drays. Offering instruction. Policing ownership. They can offer prompt and convenient roadside services if drivers still wish to spend their days driving a vehicle around. There will still be lots of "foul weather" days and opportunity to drive their buses when folks are looking for shelter. Or are infirmed by age or illness etc.

Energy storage in batteries is heavy.
Battery packs are small to keep down weight of Dray. This provides a limit in range of 20km-40km for one full charge. But the battery pack case can be unlocked and removed, swapped with another pack in less than one minute. Riders can pull into TTC stations for a "pack swap" and continue on their way faster than it takes to fuel with gasoline. Or carry a spare. Like a laptop computer, battery packs can be plugged in anywhere to recharge. Riders can make their own energy from winds and solar etc! (Harder to make your own gasoline!)

Glass and metal bits on Toronto pavements flatten tires.
See prompt roadside assistance above. Dray tires are also designed with glass etc in mind.

One study suggested that over 90% of pedal bike riders are on vehicles that are NOT properly adjusted for their own body frame size.
Because the Drays have no seat or pedals, other than the adjustible handle height, it's "one size fits all". OK, two sizes maybe.

Safer Streets,
Large, heavy and high speed vehicles carry a much greater potential to do serious injury and damage rather than small, light weight and slower speed vehicles.

Everyone that gets out of four wheels and on to two wheels makes our streets a little safer for everyone else.

Note ends "I'll add more later. Yes there is more. Just need a break now tks.
lCk" (As I signed my name there/then.)

Dray_Notes.jpg

Dray_Notes2.jpg

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
your proposal reminds me the Movpack topic :
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62985

From that thread:
A. useless gimmick designs frustrate me.... not to mention the waste of resources.

... or
B. I crave minimalistic, practical, ingenious, unique innovative designs....

So watts this Dray thingee? An A? or a B?

Back