• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Lowdown Front Power

steveCA

10 mW
I’ve used some of these beautiful spring months tinkering in the shop. I was always unhappy with having to abandon the front hub battery design that came from Wavecrest. I thought it was a very elegant solution for appearance, balance, handling, etc. There was much else about the bike I did not like, however. It was overly complicated and underpowered at 36 volts. And, it didn’t have enough amp hours for me, not enough range.

So! Here is one man’s attempt to provide an alternate solution that provides everything the hub battery did, (except for the elegance and aesthetics), and perhaps a bit more in the area of power and range.

In the attached photos, you’ll see two 15 ah Lipo’s slung low on each side of the front wheel, hanging off an extended set of buddy pegs. The battery boxes where the hard part. They had to be very strong, yet very light weight. I machined them out of 3/16” rectangular aluminum tubing. Pretty heavy stuff, but I lightened them up by almost half by drilling and machining out about 40% of the material. The battery boxes and mounting HW weigh about a kilo each and each battery is 15 ah, at 15 lbs. That’s 17.5 lbs hanging on the buddy pegs. I changed the axle to a solid 10mm instead of the quick release the frame came with. It is plenty strong enough to support the weight. The batteries are supported inside the boxes with cushioned pads that do not interfere with air flow too much. I’ve been riding it all over the place, and so far no problems. The bottom of the battery boxes do not touch the ground, even when I’ve got the bike leaned pretty far over into a corner (although, I’m sure you could get it over far enough to make it hit, if you were really trying to do that). The batteries are 48 volts in parallel, with a Shottky diode between them to keep them in balance on discharge.

The bike is now supported by the stock kickstand, and handles beautifully with the weight so low, and with the bike balanced front and rear. If I really wanted more range (45 miles), the rear rack slide is still available for yet another 15 ah if needed, or other gear perhaps.

This gives me more than enough range to make my 20 mile commute to work each day, with no lugging in a battery and charging it at work.

Flat tire problems remain the biggest downside risk to bike commuting for me. (My wife disagrees, she still insists that the biggest risk is getting run down by a pissed off CA driver!).

Comments welcome!

Attachments

• Low Rider_JPG.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,212
Wow! That truly is elegant! U cant get a C/G much lower!
otherDoc

thats cool! Looks like you could take the batteries out and catch chihuahuas and cats on the fly with em.

dogman said:
thats cool! Looks like you could take the batteries out and catch chihuahuas and cats on the fly with em.
You sir, are a freak.

But.... our kind of freak. :twisted:

Yeah, they started calling me one in about 1968. I just thought the cool battery boxes looked a bit like live traps. I suddenly had this mental picture of chasing cats with the bike. I'm a dog guy of course. I don't know what chihuahas are but they aren't dogs in my book.

What I'd really like to scoop up is a charge for my batteries! I see two slightly raised linear contacts running along each side of the bike lane... I push a small lever forward and two spring loaded contacts extend down from the bottom of the battery boxes and into contact with the two slightly raised convex curved contact rails... and now I'm running under power from the rails, and I'm also recharging my battery for when I simply steer out of the bike path (bringing up my contacts lever) and over one of those 1/2" tall rails... and on to my destination (within say 15 miles of the power path). Now, how expensive an infrastructure could that be to install? At 48 volts, it would not even kill the occasional Chihuahua who happens by...

steveCA

I'm thinking that perhaps you can form some kind of robust nozzle and valve assembly on the back of them. Then you can feed an arc between them to superheat the air inside with it. Electric pulse jet, anyone? 8)

Some kind of power delivering bike path would be very nice indeed. I'd settle for coin op fast charging stations though.

Those things have treadmills in them?
You could scoop up chihuahas on the fly, let the run on little treadmills in those cages powering generators, then dump them when they get tired and scoop up some more.

You might need some sort of device to sever leashes incase there is a shortage of free range chihuahas.

:twisted:

From a performance and handling "purists" perspective I'm sure you know that unsprung weight is to be avoided like the plague. But if you keep the speeds down you should be okay. Just don't go over 20 mph and watch for those bumps. :wink:

P.S: I'm a third generation Californian and I just got back from a family get together there. In the old days you could say that California is "paradise" and it would have been true. But our family agreed (in a discussion) that California is now both "heaven" and "hell" at the same time. One moment can be wonderful and then the next moment can be painfully hellish. The drivers just reflect the "hellish" condition.

I'm glad I left... though the weather is very nice there...

My California raised nephew is planning to start his life elsewhere (out of state) and I think that's great, get out now, and forget about it.

You're absolutely right about Southern California. The weather is as perfect as can be. The infrastructure, lifestyle, amount of $ left after paying your mortgage - miserable! I've been in this long running argument with my blonde California wife that amounts to "Let's sell this damn expensive house and retire somewhere else!" So far, no luck with that, (she has lived her entire life here) so I guess I'll just keep working until I keel over.

About that unsprung weight issue... As I said in my first post, the bike was originally a Wavecrest Tidalforce S-750X. Their fancy engineers put a 30lb battery in the front wheel... as part of the hub assembly. I simply placed about the same weight on the same axle, just outside of the hub assembly. I don't see any difference from a handling and safety perspective. The bike actually has a lower center of gravity with my design. I'm not disputing the inadvisability of excessive unsprung weight, just pointing out that I have not commited any sin not already commited by the Phd's.

Wavecrest had a beautiful bike with their design, at least in my opinion. My arrangement is not so pretty, but does better in power, performance, range and about the same in the handling category. The bike will move along at 33 mph on the flat with a fresh set of batteries, (which charge up to 53v). Very flat discharge plataeu. Will output 2.3KW under full power. The bike does not seem unstable at all at speed. I've been riding electrics for about 3 years now, and have put between 4K and 5K miles on that frame. BTW, the moter is a Clyte Phoenix Cruiser.

SteveCA

steveCA said:
What I'd really like to scoop up is a charge for my batteries!
I like the concept as a docking station for the bike... roll it into the rack and it charges.

My roomba robot does it all by itself...

:mrgreen:

Eff California. It's like 104°F today in this damned desert. It rains like for two weeks total. And some stupid gangsters keep tagging a wall down the street. The traffic is ridiculous.

donotwant.jpg

steveCA said:
I've been in this long running argument with my blonde California wife that amounts to "Let's sell this damn expensive house and retire somewhere else!" So far, no luck with that, (she has lived her entire life here) so I guess I'll just keep working until I keel over.
A native Californian is so conditioned to believe that they are living in the "only" place on earth worth living that they would rather die there than leave. I have one nephew that very well might die there because he is not doing anything to compete (a requirement to survive) and isn't thinking about leaving. The younger nephew has listened to my advice and is getting out alive. I'm very afraid the older nephew will slide down into drugs and homelessness if he doesn't get his act together.

The stresses of California negate most of the beauty. :(

...and with the housing bubble over and oil prices inflating the price of everything it's only going to get harder and harder.

Then there's the earthquakes... which are well overdue... :shock:

Back