Lyen Controller Software bug under win7 - SOLVED

Hi,

i´m using this well known software for my Lyen controller.
With Windows XP no issues but with Windows 7 Professional 32bit i get this message as soon i choose the correct COM port and hit the "start transmit" button.

Error-Message.JPG

Search engines produce a variety of blogs and forums dealing with this kind of error message but none in terms of this specific software - so maybe anyone here has seen this before.

Thanks!

I have the lyen software working 100% on win7 64 bit. I believe you are missing a step in the instructions.

Comm port 13 probably doesn't exist, i think that's your problem.
On my system the serial to usb doodad defaulted to com5. You'll have to select that port or enter it manually.

To be sure what comm port we're talking about, check it in the device manager..
Start > control panel
Device manager
expand 'ports (COM & LPT)

You should see the 'prolific USB-to-serial comm port' ... this will show you what com port the programming cable is on.

Hi

i checked the device manager and it says COM 13.
Since i can only choose from 1,2,3,4,5 in the program i had to enter COM 13 manually.
I assume that this is the problem but on my system COM Ports 1,2,3,4,5 are already blocked by windows. So maybe i have to reconfigure that somehow.
Don´t know if i can assign these ports to the USB manually. Let me check.

You can, within the device manager.

The other thing i can think of that's wrong is:

1) controller isn't powered up ( i forget if it needs to be or not.. been a while )
2) you are not holding the transmit button down when you send the program ( again, a little fuzzy about this. )

Are you using the Keywin software or the XPD software Ampaza posted?

The Ampaza software is posted here:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927

Personally I would use the XPD software, I have found it too be really user friendly, and have never experienced a single bug that others have reported with the other software (on Windows 7).

Just make sure when selecting your controller type to choose the "Lyen" version option.

Give XPD a try.

I have Lyens controller software on my Win7 64bit machine and it works fine now. I think Neptronix has got your problem spotted. I had an error (although cant remember what) when my cable was on com7. I had to manually move the com ports around to enable me to get it to work.

On my machine com ports 1-5 were in use also but it alowed me to move Com port 2 arround by going into Properties and then Advanced. From there i moved that to com 8 and then moved the USB TTL connector to com2. Worked like a charm after that.

neptronix said:
You can, within the device manager.

The other thing i can think of that's wrong is:

1) controller isn't powered up ( i forget if it needs to be or not.. been a while )
2) you are not holding the transmit button down when you send the program ( again, a little fuzzy about this. )

To answer these for reference by others,

1)the battery must be disconnected from the controller before transmitting.
2)You needto press the start transmit button on the software on the screen first and then once it sats start transmit in the info box you then press and hold the button on the USB cable until it says "transmit complete"

Thanks for putting that out there. This memory of mine.. :oops:

Okay guys, thanks for your ideas - but:

Even when i change the COM port of the USB Adapter to either 1,2,3,4,5 i get the same failure message any time i hit the "start transmit" button.

Confused...

Have you tried the XPD software, I have never had a problem with that on Windows 7

Yeah i did. Downloading and installing no problem.
Same problem there - when i send the data i get the message that the transfer didn´t worked.
I will try an old computer with XP today - maybe that´ll work.

markobetti said:
Download latest profilic driver , also change com port and try again

I tried that, however according windows that driver is up to date.

I tried today under XP no problems at all. Regardless of the COM Port i choosed.

The only thing is that i once read, that the failure message 8020 often refers to a problem with one of the MSCOMCTL.OCX files that have to be registered when you run the program. Under windows 7 i had to register them manually as admin in the DOS window because the install.bat file (that normally does this for you) wasn´t working.
c:\windows\system32 and then "regsvr32 MSCOMCTL.OCX" for example.
I´m running win7 and xp on the same laptop, maybe thats a problem as well.

Anyway guys thanks for your thoughts!!!

Back