m365 error 18 hall sensor feed voltage below 5 volts

ahmet

1 µW
Hello folks, glad to find a vastly resourceful community such as this.

i have an old 2019 make m365 currently giving e18 error. took out and opened the motor, disconnecting the motor hall interface pcb measured the controller side socket pins and realized feed voltage going through is below 5 volts, around 2.65

is this normal? also the back of the mainboard the main power rail (bigger cross section mosfet pathways) seems to be abit darkened, not a shiny silver look. before dismantling hall sensors i wanted to ask here if anyone came across such problem with hall sensors intact but controller is defunct and giving out E18 error at the end. cheers.

the socket in the middle with 5 pins, measured the resistance in between and all of them seems to be shorted, zero ohms, any guess?

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Does the manual or website (if either exists) tell you what E18 is?

For the hardware visible in the image:

U3 looks like it blew up. (near center of right edge of PCB).

If the 5v everywhere on the PCB (at least at both connector pins marked "5") is 2.65v, my guess is U3 is either the 5v regulator or is the control IC for the switching regulator that feeds the 5v regulator.

I can't see the markings on any of the chips (U3, U5, U1C) that might be parts of the LVPS (that makes the lower voltages out of battery voltage).

In case you haven't checked for this already, it's not uncommon for motor cable damage (like from an impact, or a motor axle twisting in the dropouts and ripping up the cabling) to short halls or hall power to phases, which feeds battery voltage back into the halls and / or the 5v power system, which can blow all sorts of stuff up including the halls, the regulators, the MCU, and the throttle or other controls, sensors, etc that run from 5v. It can also blow up the phase FETs.

thanks for the swift reply, read it this morning but didnt have time untill now, i will check reference voltages at the points on pcb as you mentioned and come back with the readings

as to the power phase cables on the stator side, i haven't seen any abnormalities, will include a picture through out the day
again thanks for the insight and your attention, much aprreciated

Does the manual or website (if either exists) tell you what E18 is?

For the hardware visible in the image:

U3 looks like it blew up. (near center of right edge of PCB).

If the 5v everywhere on the PCB (at least at both connector pins marked "5") is 2.65v, my guess is U3 is either the 5v regulator or is the control IC for the switching regulator that feeds the 5v regulator.

I can't see the markings on any of the chips (U3, U5, U1C) that might be parts of the LVPS (that makes the lower voltages out of battery voltage).

In case you haven't checked for this already, it's not uncommon for motor cable damage (like from an impact, or a motor axle twisting in the dropouts and ripping up the cabling) to short halls or hall power to phases, which feeds battery voltage back into the halls and / or the 5v power system, which can blow all sorts of stuff up including the halls, the regulators, the MCU, and the throttle or other controls, sensors, etc that run from 5v. It can also blow up the phase FETs.
a late reply. the ic on the board is identified as ti tps563200 buck converter. i will change the chip and check the surroundings for shorts and update this page later on.

Back