M5 Display - setting magnets and PAS sensitivity

Cyclomania

10 kW
So I have an M5 display, a 17mah controller(compatible with 36v and 48v) and a 36 volt battery on my ebike.

It was originally a 48 volt battery on it but I switched it out. Everything is working fine now. But I want the PAS to help me for a longer period. When it kicks in.

It is now kicking in pretty well. I've set the PAS sensitivity (m5 setting 11) to 4. So it kicks in pretty fast when I pedal. But it gives me a strong but short burst of power, and then it stops giving me power. So the throttle is much nicer to use. SInce it gives power continually.

Is this PAS sensitivity also in charge of how long the PAS is giving the bike power for? How do I make it last for longer when it kicks in? Should I set the PAs sensitivity higher or something?

Also, when I was tinkering I by mistake changed the 13-setting which is for magnets of the motor. I cannot remember what this was set to from the beginning.
So could you help me understand, from my pictures, how many magnets is in my motor somehow? Not sure how to figure this out. The number of magnets I mean. Display setting is set to 5 now but not sure if I have 5, 8 or 12 magnets so I appreciate the help figuring this out.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Hi 11 and 12 are doing this on this display. 11 is sensitivity. I now have to 10. But still I think it shuts off pretty fast after it begins giving power.

12 are how strong it starts when it starts. I have this on the highest which is 5.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.png
    2.png
    988.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
So I have an M5 display, a 17mah controller(compatible with 36v and 48v) and a 36 volt battery on my ebike.

It was originally a 48 volt battery on it but I switched it out. Everything is working fine now.
Did PAS work as expected when using the 48v battery, so that was the only change before you messed with the settings.

PAS assist should stay on as long as you are pedaling and rotating the cranks. While some behavior can be related to settings, almost as many issues are caused by the physical components. Sometime intermittent behavior can be traced to too great a distance between the PAS sensor and magnetic disc (should have around 1mm gap). If this was always an issue, I’d start there and check all of the connectors as well.

PAS assist should stay on as long as you are pedaling and rotating the cranks. While some behavior can be related to settings, almost as many issues are caused by the physical components. Sometime intermittent behavior can be traced to too great a distance between the PAS sensor and magnetic disc (should have around 1mm gap). If this was always an issue, I’d start there and check all of the connectors as well.

Looks like this. Not sure if this is normal PAS-behaviour. Towards the end of the video you can see what I am talking about where it operates more in bursts rather than continuos.

PAS is in the pictures below: Not sure if the gap looks right?

Attachments

• Pas.png
    Pas.png
    681.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Pas2.png
    Pas2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Pas2..png
    Pas2..png
    714 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
no, not normal, unless your speed overshoots the limit for the level of pas you have selected. in which case the motor will shut off until the speed drops.. But at pas level 5 the cut off speed should be the same as the throttle cut off top speed.

check the pas sensor connection and cables?? if the cables and connection checks out, check the controller board for loose connections, it appears to be an intermittent issue like a loose wire/connection..

also check brake sensor cables, an intermittent false positive from a brake sensor would look the same

Set P13 to 8 and see if there’s a change.
It has the alternativs 5, 8 and 12. Does not seem to work at all when I pick 8. It does not work at all at when I pick 5 either. Only works at 12.

Maybe I need to switch PAS-sensor so that it is compatible with the new controller or something?

I did switch out the controller and battery on this bike. But to the same max current on the controller. Only difference is that the new one can handle both 36 and 48 volt batteries. So I also switched to a 36volt battery.

But maybe the issue is that I need to switch PAS-sensor as well? To one compatible with my controller? Or rather MORE compatible.

Sometime intermittent behavior can be traced to too great a distance between the PAS sensor and magnetic disc (should have around 1mm gap). If this was always an issue, I’d start there and check all of the connectors as well.
I am not sure what you mean by the magnetic disc exactly. This is how the PAS-sensor in the crank looks like. Does it look right? Do the distance look right?

Maybe it is too loose? So I should make it stick more with some epoxy?

Reducing the voltage of the battery from 48v to 36v will result in a loss of potential power in the region of circa 20% so a lower top speed and less acceleration to the top speed (max potential watts from your battery /controller can be calculated using the max drain of the controller and battery voltage, Watts= Volts x Amps, so with a 15a controller a 48v battery can provide upto 720w of power while a 36v battery can provide a max of 540w..)

I couldnt see the battery level in your display pics, Have you 'told' the controller your using a 36v battery?? a fully charged 36v battery is close to a low charged 48v battery...
are low voltage cut outs clouding this issue?
EDIT, just noticed you say you made the 36v change above..

Thats a 12 magnet pas sensor find replacements googling for 'KT V12L' 'L' for left side.. dirt cheap from chinese suppliers.
loose like that .. could allow grit and grime into the sensor but that should not effect the magnets or the sensor.. If the sensor rotates with the crank then that may result in a varying delay in pas startup as the whole sensor turns with the crank rather than just the magnet portion until anchored by its cable,

Last edited:
What is the display showing when the pas cuts out unexpectedly?I use different controllers so googled the M5 display manual
One thing stood out, your using pas level 5 the controller can be configured to use 3,5,or 9 pas levels, IF? set to 9?? level 5 will be only be just over half way through the range and it may simply be normally as expected power cut outs when you reach the speed for the level of assist selected???

Im sure this is not the case but if it went unchecked....

What is the display showing when the pas cuts out unexpectedly?I use different controllers so googled the M5 display manual
One thing stood out, your using pas level 5 the controller can be configured to use 3,5,or 9 pas levels, IF? set to 9?? level 5 will be only be just over half way through the range and it may simply be normally as expected power cut outs when you reach the speed for the level of assist selected???

You mean it might cut power to not go above the speed limit for that specific PAS-level, am I correct?

Yeah I haven't thought about that. Maybe it cuts power for a certain kilometer per hour(?). But I have set the speed limit, which is configured at p08, to 100. So I guess it should not cut out power(?). Also these bursts happens at the highest pedal assist as well. Which is 0-5. So it happens at five, which is the highest PAS-level, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

You mean it might cut power to not go above the speed limit for that specific PAS-level, am I correct?

Yeah I haven't thought about that. Maybe it cuts power for a certain kilometer per hour(?). But I have set the speed limit, which is configured at p08, to 100. So I guess it should not cut out power(?). Also these bursts happens at the highest pedal assist as well. Which is 0-5. So it happens at five, which is the highest PAS-level, as well.

At this point, I would disconnect anything not needed for PAS while troubleshooting (e.g. throttle, brake cutoffs, etc), then check the pins on the remaining connectors to make sure none are backing out of the connector housings, etc.

Yeah, I thought you probably had that covered, i found multiple versions of the manual, some detail settings P17,18,19, and 20 which appear rather oblique.

M5 manual example a

While others omit these settings completely,

M5 manual example b

which is relevant to your kit?
They both look pretty much like mine but the second one from 2018 I think it has to be that one.

At this point, I would disconnect anything not needed for PAS while troubleshooting (e.g. throttle, brake cutoffs, etc), then check the pins on the remaining connectors to make sure none are backing out of the connector housings, etc.
Ok. So disconnect throttle and things not needed for PAS to function. I got it. I will try.

Back