Magic Pie 4 regen not working, tried new controller already

eBikeWannaBe

10 mW
I'm using a MP4 hub and regen is not working properly. I can't figure out what to try next. Some details that might be important:
  • activating brake lever cuts motor power so controller is getting braking signal
  • 12s lipo powered (15ah)
  • verified controller programming is correct.
  • replaced the controller.
  • stock MP4 wiring with CA shunt inline on power only modification
  • using a Cycle Analyst to determine if regen is working or not.
  • tried goldenmotor forum with no success (bikemad was a great help though) http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5365.0
Is there anything in the hub that could cause regen not to work. I don't think so but I'm stumped on this one.

I have no direct experience of the MP4 controller but if it is similar to their earlier versions then it is capable of 24v 36v and 48v operation. If it is programmed to 24v and you are running at a higher voltage then regen won't work. If you haven't already done so it might be worth downloading the parameters and seeing what it is set to?

Caliban said:
I have no direct experience of the MP4 controller but if it is similar to their earlier versions then it is capable of 24v 36v and 48v operation. If it is programmed to 24v and you are running at a higher voltage then regen won't work. If you haven't already done so it might be worth downloading the parameters and seeing what it is set to?
Thanks for the reply. I've verified that the parameter is set for 48V. I have also tried it at 36 and 24v with no success.

In case anyone comes across this thread looking for MP4 info I just wanted to say that I did get regen working. It was a faulty brake lever. The brake wiring includes 5V and this was getting shorted to ground when the brake was pressed causing the controller reset or lockup. Once I disconnect the faulty lever everything is working great. I might have to change the programming on the MP4 as the regen is fairly strong, I'm worried about momentary lockup on slick surfaces.

Back