Magic pie,rewired phase,sensorless,lyens 12fet,67v, amps???

brumbrum

100 kW
I have a magic pie mk2. The phase wires have been changed for high quality 12 awg, i run it sensorless with a lyens 12fet sensorless controller. Currently using 13s/54v lipos at 35 amps. Its ok, but lacks oomph, probably due to the windings and lack of hall sensors.

I have just bought 8 bricks of multistar lipos 4s 10ah each. So in total, 67v(fully charged) and 20ah, or 10ah if i only use one 67v pack of the two i am building at present.

Lyen rates the controller at 45a, it will probably do a bit more.

Its a rear motor, heavy duty commencal full sus downhill frame with torque arms and top quality hope tech brakes.

How high do i dare to go with the amps?

I gave it 50 amp limit and 115 at the phase wires. It peaked at around 3200w. It worked for a 15 minute test run, but was a bit grumpy/jerky on take-offs....... Could have been the fact it is sensorless, though i had not experienced jerking like that before.

But the next day it was dead! Lol. Don't know why. i have not had the time or patience to take it apart. I spent a good few days getting the pie and bike build back on the road after lying idle for over a year, it really pissed on my parade!

Any suggestions on what may have caused this are welcome.

If you beef the traces, use big wiring and connectors, solder the shunt to .750 mOhm...
A 12 X 4110 Infineon can pull 100A batt and feed 150A phase on 24s RC Lipo. You might have to upgrade a few, but when you have one that is good it can last a few years standing this kind of abuse daily.

I don't believe a magic pie would survive this very long though. :wink:

MadRhino said:
If you beef the traces, use big wiring and connectors, solder the shunt to .750 mOhm...
A 12 X 4110 Infineon can pull 100A batt and feed 150A phase on 24s RC Lipo. You might have to upgrade a few, but when you have one that is good it can last a few years standing this kind of abuse daily.

I don't believe a magic pie would survive this very long though. :wink:

So what you are saying then is, i have more than likely blown the controller?? Is there a way i can test the controller and the motor seperately to try and work out which has failed?

Just to add, all wires used on controller and battery are at least 12awg, phase connectors are 75amp andersons powepoles and battery connector is an anderson SB50 powerpole.

Just wanted to update this thread. It turned out that a throttle wire had detached from the curcuit board inside the controller. Phew! So i didn't fry anything after all. I just needed to step back and go through testing all the connections. I nearly decided to take the whole bike apart and delace the motor. Glad now i didn't. Not sure though that i will put as much power through it again, maybe 2500w max, and not 3200. Probably stay within the continuous amp limit of the controller which is 45a.

Back