Marbel vs. Boosted vs. Evolve

skdoo said:
Thanks for the review! Which mode are you riding in? The torque and speed you describe sound more like beginner mode than what the board's limits are.

Haha no. I can see why you might think that, but unless my board is broken in some way there is no way anyone could mistake beginner mode for anything other than that. The board goes barely faster than walking pace at level 1 and won't climb any incline - almost literally. Level 3 has a comfortable top speed for me but doesn't accelerate fast enough so I use level four and try to resist the urge to go at top speed all the time. I sometimes get a bit of wobble at level 4 top speed which reminds me (since I don't wear a helmet or pads) that I need to back off a bit or some day I'm going to bite it and there's no running out a fall at that speed.

(The Dual+ has four speed settings instead of two)

agraham said:
skdoo said:
Thanks for the review! Which mode are you riding in? The torque and speed you describe sound more like beginner mode than what the board's limits are.

Haha no. I can see why you might think that, but unless my board is broken in some way there is no way anyone could mistake beginner mode for anything other than that. The board goes barely faster than walking pace at level 1 and won't climb any incline - almost literally. Level 3 has a comfortable top speed for me but doesn't accelerate fast enough so I use level four and try to resist the urge to go at top speed all the time. I sometimes get a bit of wobble at level 4 top speed which reminds me (since I don't wear a helmet or pads) that I need to back off a bit or some day I'm going to bite it and there's no running out a fall at that speed.

(The Dual+ has four speed settings instead of two)

Haha, ok, just checking. Might be the first time I've heard someone say it accelerates too slow :)

Also, I have to say it... please wear at least a helmet. I'm really comfortable on electric boards after riding for years and I still wear one every ride. It's personally saved me a few times.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
EwanG said:
I will be getting my bonus in two weeks, and am looking for a board that can handle a 200 lb adult with a 20 lb backpack while going at least 12 miles (range not speed) reliably. It appears that either the Street Carbon Evolve or the Yuneec E-Go would work, but would love to hear from someone doing a similar commute with either.

The Evolve claims to have a much longer range, which would make the higher price somewhat worth it. That and the E-Go is claiming both to be in-stock, and requiring 1-2 weeks to ship (two statements that don't seem to go together).

Suggestions on which way to go?
You should look at how many watt hours those board's batteries are ( volts x amp hours), they all exaggerate. Seems to be 40 watt hours:mile roughly in the real world. ThInk that maths right.

We usually see about 14-22 watt-hours per mile with our setup.

skdoo said:

Any thought that you might eventually create a version for longer commutes, perhaps for someone willing to trade off on the top speed? Workplace is 10.5 to 12 miles from where I live (depending on route). Uber cost for the ride is $40 (round-trip) and Taxi much more. Bus routes in our area are on a spoke/hub so that it takes 2-3 hours since you have to go at least somewhat into town first to catch a connecting bus (slow bus goes fewer miles, fast bus goes all the way downtown). I can (and twice had to) walk it in around 2.5 hours. Enjoyed a bit over a year of riding an e-bike, but as it's illegal to ride on sidewalks here the traffic got to a point where I wasn't feeling comfortable, and given my unique "frame" couldn't find any setup where my wrists/elbows/shoulders didn't start bothering me after 2-3 days riding.

I could, and possibly next year will, buy a car - but for this distance it seems like overkill. An electric longboard or skates or scooter seem like the best option since those are sidewalk legal so I can avoid the traffic. But it seems 5-6 miles is the usual limit in range - particularly if you look at some of the hills that you run into in San Antonio (not SF scale, but definitely not Kansas scale either).

EwanG said:
skdoo said:

Any thought that you might eventually create a version for longer commutes, perhaps for someone willing to trade off on the top speed? Workplace is 10.5 to 12 miles from where I live (depending on route). Uber cost for the ride is $40 (round-trip) and Taxi much more. Bus routes in our area are on a spoke/hub so that it takes 2-3 hours since you have to go at least somewhat into town first to catch a connecting bus (slow bus goes fewer miles, fast bus goes all the way downtown). I can (and twice had to) walk it in around 2.5 hours. Enjoyed a bit over a year of riding an e-bike, but as it's illegal to ride on sidewalks here the traffic got to a point where I wasn't feeling comfortable, and given my unique "frame" couldn't find any setup where my wrists/elbows/shoulders didn't start bothering me after 2-3 days riding.

I could, and possibly next year will, buy a car - but for this distance it seems like overkill. An electric longboard or skates or scooter seem like the best option since those are sidewalk legal so I can avoid the traffic. But it seems 5-6 miles is the usual limit in range - particularly if you look at some of the hills that you run into in San Antonio (not SF scale, but definitely not Kansas scale either).

You could buy a ZBoard SF Special right now for $1100, and it claims 18 mile range.

skdoo said:
Haha, ok, just checking. Might be the first time I've heard someone say it accelerates too slow :)

Yeah my expectations were clearly unreasonable - I was expecting to have my face ripped off. When I look at those two tiny motors pushing my 180 lbs to 23mph in less than ten seconds I gotta say the acceleration is excellent.

skdoo said:
Also, I have to say it... please wear at least a helmet. I'm really comfortable on electric boards after riding for years and I still wear one every ride. It's personally saved me a few times.

OK I promise to think about it. I feel kind of unfashionable with my bike helmet on. No sense dying for fashion tho I'll look around for something a little less dweebish.

Happy you're pleased with the Boosted.

The Marbel has experienced several delays (to be fair, Boosted did as well when they brought theirs to market) and still hasn't shipped. Realistically, we're looking at June-ish. I think if it meets expectations, that's the best board you can buy in relation to everything on the market right now. However, Boosted has some smart people behind it and I'm sure they aren't content to rest on the laurels of v1. I would be surprised if they didn't bring a lighter, longer lasting board to market down the line.

JJ2525 said:
Happy you're pleased with the Boosted.

The Marbel has experienced several delays (to be fair, Boosted did as well when they brought theirs to market) and still hasn't shipped. Realistically, we're looking at June-ish. I think if it meets expectations, that's the best board you can buy in relation to everything on the market right now. However, Boosted has some smart people behind it and I'm sure they aren't content to rest on the laurels of v1. I would be surprised if they didn't bring a lighter, longer lasting board to market down the line.

The Marbel looks awesome I might have gotten it but for two things: I wanted a board like _now_ and also I imagine the Marbel is going to be completely or almost completely rigid. That to me is likely a deal breaker unless the board has some kind of suspension or something which of course it won't. My non-motorized board is rigid and I don't like the way I feel every little bump and the steering is so sharp.

Gonna be jealous of your range and lightness tho.

777arc said:
You could buy a ZBoard SF Special right now for $1100, and it claims 18 mile range.

"Claims" sadly being the key word. What reviews I have been able to find for the ZBoard and others claiming more than 10 mile range is that when you put someone with a backpack (total weight over 150 lbs) on the boards and do not stay on a fairly level slope (i.e. minimal or no hills) that the range suddenly plummets to somewhere between 7-9 miles. Which makes me believe the main difference in boards is how "true to life" the claims are rather than that some boards are able to magically get almost twice the distance as others.

Anyone with real world experience that shows otherwise, please post!

Checking out the ZBoard, they do have the following somewhat buried on their site:

"**All ZBoard Electric Skateboard models are range tested under a variety of real world conditions to determine proper speed and range ratings. “Highway” range - the range stated in the chart above - is determined under constant speed on smooth, flat pavement. “City” range is determined under normal riding conditions on flat ground, including regular stop and go on a variety of pavement conditions. Charge and maintenance status, terrain, rider size, topography, and riding style all influence battery life and top speed.

SF Special: 18 Miles Highway / 13 Miles City"

So even their City range would be putting things a little close, and once you add some hills...

torqueboards said:
I think it's better to swap packs for added range. You add more weight than necessary to the board and riding a heavier board isn't as fun as a lighter one. Adding 20ah is a bit much on a deck.

That seems like a reasonable idea, but do any of these have "snap in" batteries? Most of them appear to be sealed (even the Lipos), and voiding the warranty would mean you would be better off with a DIY anyway.

EwanG said:
skdoo said:

10-12 miles skating on a sidewalk sounds pretty rough to me, honestly. I have lots of friends who use e-bikes for that distance but we're also lucky to have good bike lanes around SF. San Antonio (I used to live in Dallas) is less bike friendly.

We're always looking at improving battery technology, but for us our primary concern is safety and reliability (most of our customers can't DIY). If we can get a safe and reliable battery with more range without making the board too heavy, we'll do it.

skdoo said:
We're always looking at improving battery technology, but for us our primary concern is safety and reliability (most of our customers can't DIY). If we can get a safe and reliable battery with more range without making the board too heavy, we'll do it.

Per the couple replies before yours, would it be possible to alter your design so that someone could "swap out" the battery mid-journey (stopping first of course) so that range is lengthened without making the board itself heavier? I know the weight of the extra battery being in a backpack would have some affect on the overall range, but would think the net wouldn't be too bad...

EwanG said:
skdoo said:

Per the couple replies before yours, would it be possible to alter your design so that someone could "swap out" the battery mid-journey (stopping first of course) so that range is lengthened without making the board itself heavier? I know the weight of the extra battery being in a backpack would have some affect on the overall range, but would think the net wouldn't be too bad...

That's ideal, but you also have to take into account how the battery is mounted and connected. Our batteries are soldered in and attached with loctite on the screws. That keeps the physical battery and the connection from coming loose due to vibration, shock, etc. Great for reliability and safety, but not as good for extended range riding.

People go a loooooong way on our boards - especially the ones with the bigger batteries. Check out one rider's recent posts:

skitch.png

Although it isn't sold as such and the batteries don't seem available on their website any more, Yuneec board batteries are pretty easy to swap: just four screws and unplug two cables.

Wonder why they didn't go all the way with this.

Marbel has posted a number of updates recently and they should start shipping next week. The board looks pretty rad!

torqueboards said:
JJ2525 said:
Marbel has posted a number of updates recently and they should start shipping next week. The board looks pretty rad!

Sweet.. It definitely does.. Too bad it wasn't dual motor though :)

Agreed, though I think the increased range they are reporting under certain circumstances are partly due to choosing a single motor setup.

It will be interesting to see how the Monolith starts to look once their production gets going. Dual in-wheel motors, hot-swappable battery is pretty nuts.

Back