Mid Drive - 180x60mm Outrunner

I kow you like to build the motor and pedals together on bottom of the frame (like in the first picture of your thread) and this looks simple and nice, but i think it is not. It will be hard to build such a system. You need a freewheel in motor, a special saft for pedals and you have the spinning motor housing which makes mounting difficult etc.

I think it would be more simple to install a second chain only for pedals and a very strong chain or beltdrive for the motor for example at brake rotor side.
If i would built a motor, i would make it like the Joby JM1, JM2S or Nova 30 with direct belt reduction to the rearwheel. More power anyway makes no sense with bicycle parts..

Dotrick these are only my thoughts. i don't want to talk you off building your concept :)

Miles said:
So, you've got an outrunner spinning at 2000rpm, inside an outer case, producing up to 30Nm. What happens next? :)

2000 rpm is the nominal point. 4000 rpm max

madin88 said:
... this looks simple and nice, but i think it is not. It will be hard to build such a system. You need a freewheel in motor, a special saft for pedals and you have the spinning motor housing which makes mounting difficult etc.

Yes, it's not simple to made, I know! :D

madin88 said:
I think it would be more simple to install a second chain only for pedals and a very strong chain or beltdrive for the motor for example at brake rotor side..
Yes, but it's not beautiful... :D

If i don't have enough time to do this, it will be possible to put this motor with a second chain, no problem! :D

madin88 said:
Dotrick these are only my thoughts. i don't want to talk you off building your concept :)
no problem, I learn a lot with this project! It's fun!

Miles said:
So, it's like a hiigh powered Optibike?

Two stage planetary gearset?

No one stage... Chain for the motor and one stage planetary gearset for pedaling....

I don't know the latest version of bosch... :oops:

The cranks are geared up to meet the motor speed not the rear wheel speed.
For example :
52kph - 400 RPM - Rear wheel 26" (sprocket 33T) <------- chain --------> (Freewheel 11T) Motor speed 1200 RPM <--- Planetary Gear ratio 8 ---> 150 RPM cranks speed

something like that... :D I will adjust gear and ratio when i will have a better idea of the efficiency and the torque of my motor.

Project stopped!

I study a new motor, an axial motor with one rotor and 2 stators. I read many papers and i think it's better for an ebike application. Something like 200mm outer diameter, 70mm thickness or less. I will create a new thread later. :wink:

Back