Middrive e-bike(pedelec) from Hofer/Aldi

toshy

1 mW
As I ve searched thru the forum, there isnt much said about the bike which was being sold in Aldi and Hofer shops last spring, and tomorow they will start them selling again.

Its some chinese city/touring frame with 36V 250W mid drive (renamed BBS01 I believe?) and 36V 10Ah Samsung SDI battery pack (still waiting for their answer on detailed info about the cells, max output).
Here are some of the specs:
- 36V 250W (is it Bafang BBS01 or ??)
- 36V 10Ah Samsung SDI battery with 500cycles and 80km range
- display with 5 assist modes
- limited to 25km/h and walking assist to 6km/h
- 28 inch wheels with Continental City Ride tires
- Suntour front shocks
- front dynamo??
- Shimano Nexus 7 speed rear hub with grip shift
- V brakes front and rear
- Selle Royal gel seat
- LED front and rear light
- weight: 26,5kg
- max load: 150kg
- 10 yr warranty on frame, 3 yrs on small party (does this include the motor??) and 1 yr on battery
Heres a picture - bike which is being sold is pretty much the same, without the rear box and front basket

PedelecCYCO28

So what do you guys think, is it worth 1000eur or not?
I'm planning to buy a bike for my mom, and I was also thinking of buying a Bafang BBS02 350W mid-drive and some li-ion battery pack, but after all the calculations, I would spent around 1000eur on the motor and the battery ordered from china, but here I get a complete bike for the same money, with the warranty.
Is it a BBS motor? Can I somehow "hack" that 25 km/h limit, hack the 15A limit, add a thumb throttle?
They claim it can do 80km, but those ranges are often measured in optimal conditions. I'm hoping it ll do 40km?
After how many km's will I have to service the motor (what to change), how reliable is that 7 speed hub, and why the heck does it has a dynamo???

If anyone from you guys own this bike, or you know a person who owns it, any input would be greatly appriciated.

You should be able to reprogram the controller to 18A and remove the speed limit if you follow the instructions in the thread about reprogramming one. Obviously, that will decrease the range a bit. The battery has Samsung cells, so should be able to cope with the additional current.

Is it worth 1000 Euros? That looks about the right price to me considering the guarantee you get. The battery is a standard part, so, when the time comes, you should be able to get an after-market replacement.

Thanks d8veh!
All I would maybe need, would be a bit more amps, because we have a quite steep 700m hill before our home, 25km/h is more than enough for a 50+ woman imo.
I have recieved the answer from the seller, but didnt get the info about the cells, neither the constant and max Amps, only that is 10.4Ah battery. Hoping to get the info soon, otherwise I'll have to open it (if possible not to void the warranty).
They have told me its impossible to add a thumb throttle, and it doesnt have the dynamo in front (but why is the front hub so big??)

Any ideas which BBS is it, 01 or 02?

Will post photos when I get it (it should be home in 10days), and probably even more questions.

Can one moderator please move this topic to the right section, I'm very sorry for missing the right section - E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives.

Thanks!

Front hub looks like a standard Hi-flange one. Looks like a pretty good deal if you can mount a throttle.
otherDoc

This bike was recently sold via Aldi (big discounter in germany)
for 899Euro i guess.
When i consider the prices for a naked BBS01 with a battery from the common china sources, i wonder what they (aldi) pay for it to build a complete bike for 899......with profit, including shipping and customs.

Considering this, all prices for the Bafang middrive are nearly a rip off.

The bike around the motor is cheap, but it will definitely cost a few hundred.

To 99% i think its the BBS01 250w relabeled.
I saw this recently on a bike in a hardware store here in germany.
The BBS02 makes no sense at all.........

Back