Motobecane 550HT/BBSHD

comand

1 mW
After a long period of research and procrastination, I finally pulled the trigger and built my bike. My commute is about 7mi each direction, with a lot of moderate climbing and a bit of pretty steep (>10% grade) climbing on the return trip. At the start, I was considering a geared hub, and when a mid-drive was suggested here, I kind of balked at it, because it seemed like there were some reliability issues with the BBS02, and they were kind of on the expensive side, and not particularly powerful.

Ultimately I ended up going with a BBSHD, and I'm pretty happy that I did. It climbs like a champ, and has plenty of speed to let me keep up with traffic in the more urban sections of my commute. It's also reasonably stealthy, due to how integrated it is (no external controller, nothing in the wheel). I was pretty concerned about un-sprung weight on the bike, and didn't want to replace spokes -- the roads on my commute are not in great shape, and there are quite a few speed bumps to navigate. Having the weight centered on the bike makes me feel better about how the bike is distributing stress, and also makes handling much nicer than if the weight were mostly in the rear.

The bike is a 2015 Motobecane 550HT from bikesdirect.com. I added the BBSHD and a 52V 13.5Ah NCRb shark pack, both from Lunacycle, and replaced the stock chainring with the Luna Eclipse HD chainring. I opted for the C963, as it is a little sleeker looking than either the 965 or 961. I didn't do any aftermarket modifications on the BBSHD, like disabling pedelec or installing a temp probe. I also bought a Lunagizer charger, on discount when purchased with the battery pack.

I replaced the stock Kenda tires that came on the 550HT with a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I ordered Schwalbe tubes from Amazon, but didn't notice until they were shipped that they were coming from the UK! Long trip for a couple of tubes. I also picked up a slightly more comfortable saddle.

After a week of commuting, I think the roads I travel warrant a Thudbuster ST, and I need to find a rear rack that works with my disc brake setup. Other than these two things, it's been pretty great. Flying up steep hills past sweaty cyclists on my ride home is fantastic :).

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

I had to drill holes for two rivnuts in the down tube so I could firmly connect the shark pack using all three of it's bolt adapters. Otherwise, the battery mounting bracket seemed just a little too under-powered to keep the somewhat-heavy battery firmly attached. I wish the mounting plate were aluminum or some other durable material, rather than plastic. Seems like having a key on the battery is Barely Adequate Security when leaving the bike out of sight with battery attached. A couple of swift kicks could probably dislodge it if someone were determined to steal the battery.

The setup as it stands doesn't have e-brakes. It doesn't seem like I really need them in my typical riding so far, which involves using pedelec on flatter parts, and throttle plus a bit of pedaling on steeper bits. In either case, I'm able to shift without any grinding (most of the time -- still getting the hang of it) just by letting off the throttle a bit. Shifting in pedelec mode (and I usually just use level 1, as that's really the only level I can reasonably pedal along with -- trying to pedal along with level 2+ is just faking it) is flawless.

IMAG0131.jpg

My main worry is that I'm going to have some throttle/controller malfunction and I won't have any way to cut power quickly, short
of a long press on the M button on the display.

The bike came with hydraulic disc brakes -- that was a key feature I was after in a donor bike. I realized soon after I started buying parts that getting e-brakes working with hydraulics was going to be a bit of a pain. The two options I was able to find are hall sensor cutoffs, and replacement hydraulic brakes (like the Tectro Dorado). I didn't want to swap out new hydraulic brakes for a different hydraulic brake, so I went with the sensor cutoffs, and bought a L/R pair from EMPowered Cycles.

IMAG0130.jpg

However, I should have checked the brake levers on the Tectro Draco system that comes on the 550HT, as the lever doesn't move away from the perch when activated, it moves closer.

IMAG0126.jpg
IMAG0128.jpg

So far I haven't figured out a way to adapt these sensors to the levers I have, so I'm resigned to have no e-brakes for now (unless someone reading this can make a suggestion). Hopefully if something fails, the bike will stop, rather than pinning the throttle.

The bike has worked pretty well for me so far -- I've had some strange issues, mainly that the system sometimes shuts off just as I head out first thing in the morning. It's either right away as I head up a gentle hill from my garage, under pedelec, or as was the case this morning, it shut off as I started to pull on the throttle. In both cases, it happened within 3 minutes of heading out from the house, and then never happened again for the rest of the commute, return trip included.

Overall, very happy with all of the vendors I interacted with -- Lunacycle was fantastic, especially around getting me the chainring, which was not yet available when I ordered, and C963 which was out of stock when I ordered. EMPowered is a local store for me, so it's great to know there's a source of BBS spare parts I can drive to if something bad happens.

Attachments

• IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 2,776
Very nice build!

As for the brake cut off switch, someone mentioned he made a separate push button on the handlebar very close to / just under the brake lever he could reach/press with his thumb while braking with his fingers. One on each side would be even better.

This looks similar to my build and I would not worry about the e brakes. I have over 200 miles on my set up and I'm glad I didn't wire e brakes. I did buy the green button http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_55&product_id=198 which was 6 dollars and I can use if I want to quickly shut off the motor or tap to shift. I hardly ever use it but its there if I need it.

As for the random shut offs mine did this the other day when I was riding through a lot of snow. What are you using to connect wires? I redid the connections with anderson powerpoles and the problem is solved. There may be a bump you hit leaving your house that wiggles the connections.

logangogarty said:
This looks similar to my build and I would not worry about the e brakes. I have over 200 miles on my set up and I'm glad I didn't wire e brakes. I did buy the green button http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_55&product_id=198 which was 6 dollars and I can use if I want to quickly shut off the motor or tap to shift. I hardly ever use it but its there if I need it.

That might be a good option -- I didn't want to add another thing to my bars, but I have the room, and it's a safety thing, so I'll look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

logangogarty said:
As for the random shut offs mine did this the other day when I was riding through a lot of snow. What are you using to connect wires? I redid the connections with anderson powerpoles and the problem is solved. There may be a bump you hit leaving your house that wiggles the connections.

The motor power wires are soldered directly to the battery backplate. It could be a bump, but the battery backplate to battery connection seems pretty solid, so I'd be surprised if were due to a bump, especially when it's shutting off within 50ft of my driveway. Also, given that it never shuts off for the remainder of the commute, which is much much (much) bumpier than the street in front of my house... The one time it shut off when I punched the throttle, it was on a ride where I accidentally didn't lock the battery to the backplate, so it's possible that incident was due to a bump in the road that jiggled the battery free.

The investigation continues.

I have installed two BBSHDs and both exhibited the same behavior: they would turn on and run for a few moments and just shut off. They each did it once or twice in the first couple of miles and never did it again. I didn't do anything to fix it, it just did not happen again. I would not worry about it if it goes away, I have over 500 miles on one of them and it never happened again.

Rather than going with a ThudBuster, I bought a BodyFloat from Crazy Lenny's E-Bikes in Madison, WI (their pricing is significantly better than MSRP -- still a bit more than a ThudBuster, but not significantly so). I've been riding with it for the last week, on really rough broken pavement and potholes, and it's been fantastic. I can now actually sit into the saddle for most of my commute home, rather than having to suspend myself over the seat to avoid jarring my spine. I'll post a couple of pictures when I get a moment, but it's pretty sleek, and the replacement piece is a spring, rather than the elastomer that comes with a ThudBuster. Highly recommended.

An update, now that I've ticked over the 1000mi mark on this build. Here are the things that are good, and those that are not so good.

When I started riding this bike to and from work, I decided on a "no excuses" plan -- no driving because I had an errand to run, or had to get home early for some reason. I really only drove if it was raining (rare, unfortunately, for us Northern Californians) or if I had to ferry other family members around. In all, I figure I probably drove to work 10 days since January. I think I realized a pretty good psychological benefit from riding so often -- car commuting was messing with my blood pressure. Bike commuting, even if I didn't really pedal all that much and still had to deal with a*****e drivers now and then, is fantastic. I can park my ride so much closer to my office than my co-workers, I feel like a VIP every day ;).

Over these miles, I found that the Motobecane I bought is overall a pretty great bike for conversion, and only gets better if you consider the price. I had some issues initially with spoke tension, which I monkeyed with myself until I finally decided to take it into a shop to have it fixed by a pro (not that expensive, good for peace of mind). Probably due to my monkeying with the spokes prior to the pro getting involved, my most recent trip to the shop involved replacing two broken spokes on the rear wheel (non-drive side). These broke at some point on my commute home two weeks ago, but I didn't notice until I pulled into the driveway. Lucky me.

I have also had some issues with disc brake alignment, with some rubbing of various severity. Again, if it has to do with wheels, I have my local shop look into it. They suspect that the front shocks on the 550HT are not as stiff, laterally, as they should be for the weight of the bike. I dialed up the stiffness a bit, and so far, I haven't had any return of front brake rubbing issues. New pads probably helped here as well.

As far as the aftermarket parts I added to the bike, I have had few issues. The motor has been solid, although it still does cut out in the first 10s of my ride each morning as I head up the hill. I just turn it back on and it's fine for the rest of the day. I also had a mishap where I forgot to lock the battery to the bike, and it came detached while going over a speed bump on my ride to work. It skidded down the street, protected by the hard plastic shell, and I was able to collect it and put it back on the bike. It did cause one of the plastic tabs on the back of the battery, tabs which hold it to the mounting plate, to break off. I wasn't able to reattach it in any solid way, so now I both remember to turn the key and use velcro straps to secure the battery to the mounting plate. It works, it doesn't look that terrible, it's not all that annoying to do each time, and I also look forward to buying a new battery next year so I don't have to do it anymore :). I also really wish the key was not just to operate a pin in the battery case, but also had some interconnect in the BMS so I couldn't drive away without engaging the lock. Maybe Luna will have that integrated into their batteries some day...

Other than these few issues, I've been really satisfied with my bike. It's a joy to ride, and I'm looking forward to the next 1000mi.

Hey, thanks for this. This is helping me decide whether to get a motobecane or not (y)

Hey, thanks for this. This is helping me decide whether to get a motobecane or not (y)
I did a Motobecane 400HT for a long time with a BBS02.

it worked well. No problems on the bicycle side of things. Bikes Direct purchased bike.

Back