Motocross e-bike - now on Lipos!!

Noamsal

100 W
So i'm upgrading my bike again :D
basiclly everything was the way i want it except for the batteries, i allways used lithium-ion 18650's, and they weren't really powerfull enough for my needs
also i had my additive bag which wasn't that perfect, it was starting to tear apart with all the battery weight and the rough riding
this is how the bike looked like before i started working on it again
btw the bike is a Rocky mountain flatline 2010, original brakes and shocks, rear 19" moto wheel with 2.5" motocross tyre and a 3kw hub in the middle :)
11391740_1626675627548061_559970374439904209_n.jpg

So about a month ago i bought 12 packs of 5s 5000mah 20-30c turnigy lipos, to make 20s 15ah :)
first thing i had to do before working on the battery upgrade is to change the bearings of the frame, and in this oportunity i gave the swingarm to a friend to remake the threads for the torque arms, since they were in bad shape
1.jpg

while the swingarm was in treatment, i started working on the new battery box
the idea was to mount sort a battery-frame on the bike's frame, then to mount the packs to the battery-frame, then to wrap everything up with leaving a 'door' to open the case and do whatever i need with the battery
i started with this as the battery frame, sheets of thick pvc ziptied to the frame, first to seal the triangle
2.jpg
View attachment 11

this how the packs would mount on the frame, 8 in the triangle and 4 on top of them
i also ordered a bms for the battery, it will be on the top tube above the other packs
4.jpg

second part was to cover the whole thing, with another triangle! (and some more PVC, zipties, and duct tape)
this is also part of the battery frame, i wanted to seal this with 2 side covers, one with screws for easy opening
5.jpg

And now - we have a twist in the plot - the motor upgrade
i know alot of you guys think this will be useless but still i want to try it;
its a delta-wye switch, since the motor is slow winded, i wanted to have a second gear for good speed on roads, and leave the star mode for technical offroad stuff
i bought some spdt relays rated for 80A, jammed them inside the motor, and wired the whole thing
my motor has 2 wire outputs (and a damn thick axle!), so i used one for thick phase wires and one for halls, temp sensor, and 12v for the relays
this how it looks, before isolating the solder joints -
6.jpg

Now back to the battery pack!
first of all the BMS has arrived, and it's HUGE, exactly same size as a 12FET
here's a link for it - http://www.batterysupports.com/72v-84v-20s-100a-20x-36v-lithium-ion-liion-lipo-battery-bms-p-295.html
7.jpg

so i jammed that inside the battery frame and started wiring this thing
notice the swingarm is already installed ;)
8.jpg

and here it is after finishing with the balance wires -
9.jpg

now its time to seal the not-important side, without the spagghetti lol
guess what i used for that? some pvc, duct tape, and zipties :)
i can open it but i need to remove the duct tape and zipties for that, and then put them back, it's possible but i won't need to do that unless i need to treat the 2 packs on the left top side physicly, which is not likely to happened
10.jpg
11.jpg

for the other side, which i want to be able to open without tearing stuff, i used some of these things, these are the joints that holds a rear bicycle rack, i could catch them on the battery frame, and still have a thread 90 dagrees from that, it was perfect for the job

this is how it looked after screwing the side cover, looks good, ended up still using 1 ziptie on the top, but i will change that to another screw soon
12.jpg

next stage is toady :) i installed the motor in the swingarm, the bike stands by itself, i started working on the wiring, and seems like tomorrow i'll finish it! :D
this is how it looks now, really excited to ride this thing again, but with about 6.5 kilowatts :)
13.jpg

Wait for updates!

Killer looking build, nice work!

I'm a newb to the ebike world, where did you get the red kill switch you're using and how do you have it wired?

jeremy

Its a 24v 400a killswitch, basiclly i thought if it could take 24v x 400a = 9600w, so it can easily take my 6.5kw ebike
i just soldered bullet connectors to the threads, positive of the battery goes through there
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interruttore-Stacca-Batteria-Killer-Switch-400A-24V-Chiavi-Cappuccio-/281234474097?hash=item417ae18471

Noamsal said:
Its a 24v 400a killswitch, basiclly i thought if it could take 24v x 400a = 9600w, so it can easily take my 6.5kw ebike
i just soldered bullet connectors to the threads, positive of the battery goes through there
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interruttore-Stacca-Batteria-Killer-Switch-400A-24V-Chiavi-Cappuccio-/281234474097?hash=item417ae18471

Thanks!

jeremy

Back