Motor Damage beyond 500 watts

adamsavage79

100 W
I was told by the Manager @ the store I bought the bike said the following about the motor, and the power consumption of it. :

Technically, the motor should not withstand anything about 500W for an extended period of time, otherwise, it would be feeding too much electricity to the wires which may cause it to fry up, especially on a hot day.

I'm always above 500 watts and I've never noticed a problem, and on hot days I don't push the bike. I keep it easy, and I generally don't go that far either. 10-15 minutes of ride time. Just wondering if what he is saying is possible.

This is link for for the Bike I currently have:

Also I found out little more information on the Motor and the Controller from what seems to be the Manufacturer of the bikes.

750 Watt Version of my Motor ? : HOTEBIKE 48V 750W rear wheel set | hotebike

Attachments

• 20230529_023853.jpg
    20230529_023853.jpg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 0
15 amp controller and 48V battery does not equal 500w; the manager doesn't know what he's talking about. Check your motor a couple of times when you're out by touching it. I'll bet it's little more than tepid. If you're really worried fabricate some kind of temp checking device. As a rule of thumb, don't ride up any long hills unless you can maintain 50% of your bike's top speed; otherwise too much of the energy is converted to heat.

The LCD Screen does provide a temperature reading, and it's only off by 1-2 degrees Celsius. LCD says Motor is 21 and the room temp where the bike is stored is 22.5 - 23 roughly. I've never noticed the Motor @ a very high temperature. If the hill is a hard hill for the bike, I lower the pedal assistant and pedal harder.

I question how a "500 Watt" Motor can display using 1450 Watts on the LCD Screen.

Your display is probably measuring ambient temperature not motor temperature, so don’t rely upon that to determine how hot your motor is.

Hotebike also sell KT displays, so I’m wondering if their controllers are rebranded KT and motors are Bafang or clones of Bafang.

If that’s the case then the only difference between the motor power ratings will be the market in which the motors are sold and the controller will be changed accordingly.

Last edited:
I would like a bigger motor, something like 750 watt to have that little extra power. I just don't know if the motor would work with the display and such. The controller would also have to be replaced, and I don't know if it's the same size or would fit in the frame.

Display is controller based, if you want KT display you need KT controller.
PSW Power is a good source, I read.

I was told by the Manager @ the store
Yes, "the Manager" wants you low power so you dont call him again with a warranty claim and to keep the positive reviews online, on the up and up.

I'm passed the warranty period now. Any problem I have, I have to pay. The only problem I keep having is the spokes keep getting loose every 2-3 months.

I'm thinking he doesn't want to help me with turning the bike into something with little more power.

I'm passed the warranty period now. Any problem I have, I have to pay. The only problem I keep having is the spokes keep getting loose every 2-3 months.

I'm thinking he doesn't want to help me over the counter phentermine with turning the bike into something with little more power.
Lol, it is good that you admire that you are now out of the warranty period.
I thing it's a good time for you to buy a new one for yourself.

Last edited:
Yeah they definitely cheaped out on bike parts. The forks rusted to the point they siezed up after just over a years use. I've thought about getting better spokes and nipples, and seeing if that helps. It's a 36 hole RIM, so this doesn't give me many options. Here are a couple I did find.

As for the bike, the frame is a good frame overall, and I've had far less issue's with the Ebike overall vs the Golden Motor junk kit I had before! I've done a few upgrades to the bike. Replaced the dollar store quality forks with Rock Shock Air Forks, and replaced the front 160 mm Disc Brake to a 200mm.

It's only once had a problem that I was unable to use the bike as a Ebike. This was indirectly my fault. I had the motor facing upwards, vs dowards. This caused damage to the wire housing, leaving them exposed. I eventually needed to replace the motor wire, which either the manager didn't go right, or the wire color coding was wrong.

They ended up replacing the Motor for me, becuase they where the ones that gave me the link to buy the Motor wire, and did the work on it. Somehow, it took him from 9am - 5pm. Assuming he actually started then.. How this took him this long, is beyond me....

Last edited:
Something sounds fishy if it took him 8 hours. Even doing the phase wires from the winding wire inside the motor, routed outside, new connectors and lacing a wheel for the first time ever would be 2 maybe 3 hrs total. Maybe what the person meant was he thought about starting at 9, probably started at noon worked on it 15 min each hour for 5 hrs, taking a long break, thats what I do. Sit around the garage picking my nose half the time.

15 amp controller and 48V battery does not equal 500w; the manager doesn't know what he's talking about. Check your motor a couple of times when you're out by touching it. I'll bet it's little more than tepid. If you're really worried fabricate some kind of temp checking device. As a rule of thumb, don't ride up any long hills unless you can maintain 50% of your bike's top speed; otherwise too much of the energy is converted to heat.

If it's a geared hub motor which is almost certainly is by the looks, then 500W is the nominal power, not the peak power. Peak is generally twice that, but because his controller was only 15A max then he was close to burning it out over 500W anyway. He should get something like the KT 48V 12 mosfet kind, that has a 22A max. Then he can run over 500W for a while and have a decent amount of safety room before the wires start melting.

The motor can peak to 1500 watts and I'm pretty sure it's not geared. It's just a Brushless Sealed Hub Motor.

Back