Mountain Board 2.0

Hi everyone I thought I'd post some changes to the mountain board that I've been doing for a while.
my first build was self admittedly mediocre:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=67790
Since then I changed almost everything:

• New deck: lightly used Trampa holy pro 35, formerly owned by someone cleverly named "pink Pimp"

New trucks: MBS matrix. I was going to order the newer version, with those 'cube shocks' instead of springs, but for some reason shipping cost more.

New ESC: replaced hobbyking 150A ESC with Chaka's VESCs

Attachments

• 20160321_182452.jpg
    20160321_182452.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,630
The remote that I use to control the thing is in its 3rd reincarnation. I tried to make a better enclosure for the GT2B. the wooden enclosure looked comically large and fugly, so I opted for some plexiglass instead. though its now arguably less dorky looking, and has smaller form-factor it does resemble something you'd use to trigger IEDs, especially with wires sticking out of it.

Attachments

• 20160321_182548.jpg
    20160321_182548.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 1,613
This is an ongoing project. Future improvement will include:
  • a better enclosure for the batteries, made of something other then plastic taper ware
    An addition of another motor + VESC, for a dual drive. (managed to fry 1 VESC immediately upon plugging it in for the first time, so now I only have single drive until it gets fixed)
    foot straps, maybe

I just uploaded my first test drive:
https://youtu.be/5LrjnknR6Iw

there was a hill at the end that the board could not overcome.
the strange thing is that I used to be able to make that same hill on a board that had the same motor, wheels, and only 6s lipos and a hobbyking 150A ESC, as well as less torquey gear ratio... now it has 8s and a VESC, I thought it should be more capable with the hills :?

is it because I used FOC with VESC?
could it be due to cold temperature? last I tried this, it was during summer

Hi everyone I Just updated updated a few bits on my board and I thought I'd share:

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 1,380
most recent improvement is a new enclosure, graciously sent over by Puffin. Thanks dude this sleek new enclosure is probably as small as it gets for GTB based controllers. Honestly after haphazardly transplanting the controller guts 3 times into different controller husks im impressed that it still works this smoothly.

Attachments

• controller evolution.jpg
    controller evolution.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 1,379
Rolling_Friction said:
I just uploaded my first test drive:
https://youtu.be/5LrjnknR6Iw

there was a hill at the end that the board could not overcome.
the strange thing is that I used to be able to make that same hill on a board that had the same motor, wheels, and only 6s lipos and a hobbyking 150A ESC, as well as less torquey gear ratio... now it has 8s and a VESC, I thought it should be more capable with the hills :?

is it because I used FOC with VESC?
could it be due to cold temperature? last I tried this, it was during summer

Nope! all of those "RC car" esc's that everyone trash talks could handle way more amps @6s. My single Tacon Pneumatic with an EZ run pro @ 6s had way more grunt than my dual 10s with VESC's. Hopefully the amp capability get's figured out because FOC is awesome with how quiet it is.

Nope! all of those "RC car" esc's that everyone trash talks could handle way more amps @6s. My single Tacon Pneumatic with an EZ run pro @ 6s had way more grunt than my dual 10s with VESC's. Hopefully the amp capability get's figured out because FOC is awesome with how quiet it is.
I totally agree. though I will say that after adding a small heat sinks to VESC I managed to get more torque out of it. Now, after doubling down on cooling and and attaching comically large heatsinks I can confirm that my VESC is almost as powerfull as my 6s hobbyking ESC up the hills!

I didn't have an enclosure in mind and I wasn't keen on stinking up my home with carbon fiber raisin, so I tried my luck with building my own out of plastic. I had some scrap plastic from lids of containers and such and thought I could reshape it if I applied some heat..

sure enough it was quite pliable after a few seconds of heating

I added a latch by riveting it on a small L bracket and attaching it to the front. there are two hinges in the back. The bottom is plywood. I really don't want to drill anymore holes in the deck then absolutely necessary, so I used the holes for the rear bindings to attach both the battery enclosure and the Vesc enclosure. It came out pretty sturdy and I'm glad I didn't drill any holes.

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    latch.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,257
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXliRY9aCrs&feature=youtu.be
Intro

https://youtu.be/VKMmj7KZ-xo

a quick test run by the lake :)

Attachments

• bv.jpg
    bv.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 1,139
I found this to be a convinient way to quickly switch and recharge packs.

Attachments

• top 2.jpg
    top 2.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 1,123
Back