MUST READ - eBikes are LEGAL in the USA - Since HR727 8-2001

I got stopped the other day. cop got out of car walked up to my trike and said. where in the world did you get such a thing..........

Here is the rub as I see it. Excerpt from Federal law
However, such requirements do not apply to e-bikes assembled from parts or kits by an individual. The use of home-built or kit-assembled e-bikes are instead governed by state and local laws, as federal law does not preempt state and local jurisdictions from enacting their own laws governing the operation of such vehicles on public streets and roadways.

Comments?

I live in in Ohio and have been told by State Trooper/ Metro park Rangers/ Local police that Ohio has
jurisdiction on any non commercially manufactured electric bike of any kind.................PERIOD

All Ohio metro parks are fine with riding on the roadway but absolutely prohibit any electric bike of any kind on trails reserved for bikes. Ohio law considers these electric bikes as a "form" of moped with age restrictions and licencing required.

Comment?

Excerpt from Ohio law:
Motorized Bicycles
The State of Ohio classifies electric bikes and motorized bicycles as mopeds. However, in order for a bike to be considered a moped in Ohio, it must meet the following criteria:

It must have 2 or 3 wheels that are at least 19 inches in diameter.
It must have pedals and a helper motor that can propel the vehicle.
The helper motor cannot exceed 50 CC.
The helper motor cannot produce more than 1 brake horsepower.
The helper motor must be unable to propel the vehicle more than 20 mph on a flat surface.
If your bike exceeds the above requirements, then it is considered to be a motorcycle and you must abide by all of the standard motorcycle laws and regulations.

Moped Driving Laws
Although mopeds are not considered motorcycles, they still have their own regulations that must be followed while riding. In order to legally drive a moped in the State of Ohio, you must obey the following regulations:

You must be at least 14 years old.
You must have a valid driver’s license or motorized bicycle license.
Your moped must have a rear view mirror.
Your moped must display a rear license plate that is clearly visible.
While riding, you must ride within 3 feet of the right side of the road whenever practical.
You cannot carry any passengers while riding your moped.
If you are under 18 years old, you must always wear a proper helmet (such as a motorcycle helmet) while riding.
You cannot drive your moped faster than 20 mph (note that mopeds are also supposed to be unable to go more than 20 mph.)
You cannot drive on freeways.
You must also follow all of the standard Ohio traffic laws in addition to the above regulations.

Moped Licensing and Registration
As mentioned above, you must have either a valid driver’s license or a motorized bicycle license in order to drive a moped on public roads. Note that a motorized bicycle license is not the same thing as a motorcycle license, and you are not required to have one if you have a valid driver’s license.

Although you do not need to get your moped titled, you do need to get it registered and obtain a valid license plate. The registration process is very much like registering a car; it must be renewed annually, and there is a minimum registration fee of $24.50.

Getting Your Motorized Bicycle License
In order to get a motorized bicycle license, you will need to pass a written knowledge test and a vision test at your local Driver License Exam Station.

Once passed, you will need to go to a deputy registrar office and get your motorized bicycle TIPIC (bring your receipt for the knowledge exam, and proof of your name, date of birth and SSN.)

After getting some riding practice, you will need to schedule and take a driving skills test. Bring your TIPIC to the exam station. You will be tested at an off-street course, and you must bring your motorized bicycle, helmet and eye protection.

Once you pass your driving skills test, you can apply for your motorized bicycle license. You will need to bring your TIPIC, your receipt from the on-cycle driving skills test, and payment for the $21 licensing fee.

Comments ?

Just hide the hub motor behind some pannier bags, batteries can go inside the pannier bags and no on will have a clue what the controller is ontop of the rack.

That will be legal everywhere and anywhere on earth and in every country, until you start doing wheelies in front of the donut shop and you piss off the authorities.

Sounds good but I have trikes that have very obvious motors and have a 48V 34 AH battery......kinda hard to hide.
Really bummed.
I can ride on the road no problem.....just NO PARKS NO BIKE PATHS..............AND it's not a
"Bicycle" in good Ol Ohio

Well then start welding and changing the look of your bicycle/trike. Make it look like you are a long distance rider. May look funny buy everything is hidden. Or buy a small motor. Or buy a large brake rotor. Its easy to fool people.

Its all about stealth.

Its all about blending in.

hagerty1 said:
Here is the rub as I see it. Excerpt from Federal law
However, such requirements do not apply to e-bikes assembled from parts or kits by an individual. The use of home-built or kit-assembled e-bikes are instead governed by state and local laws, as federal law does not preempt state and local jurisdictions from enacting their own laws governing the operation of such vehicles on public streets and roadways.

Comments?
That's correct, because that "law" is only a CPSC regulation, whcih only covers companies that manufacture products for sale.

I live in in Ohio and have been told by State Trooper/ Metro park Rangers/ Local police that Ohio has
jurisdiction on any non commercially manufactured electric bike of any kind.................PERIOD
That's correct, too--a state can make laws that govern everything within it's borders, regarding vehicles/transportation be it cars, bikes, trucks, skateboards, etc. They can define them any way they like, or fail to define them and leave them in either a gray area or a forbidden area, depending on how the law works in that state.

They can also leave it up to local jurisdictions (counties, parishes, etc., towns, cities., municipalities, etc). And depending on the state laws, those local laws may even be more restrictive than the state. Some allow it, some don't.

All Ohio metro parks are fine with riding on the roadway but absolutely prohibit any electric bike of any kind on trails reserved for bikes. Ohio law considers these electric bikes as a "form" of moped with age restrictions and licencing required.

Comment?
If they do, then they do, and if you want to obey the law, then you have to meet it's requirements and obey it's restrictions.

If you don't care abotu the law, you could build a stealthy version, with minimal assist that's hidden, and make sure you simply don't ride it in a way that ever makes it obvious that you aren't doing all the work. ;)

Or move to a state like AZ that has much more reasonable restrictions...ride it under 20MPH and obey traffic laws, and follow any of the other things a bicycle requires (reflectors, lights), and you're just a bicycle, and can go anywhere a bicycle can (and are restricted from going anywhere a bicycle can't).

Much like NM, I read that Ohio statute to say that all e bikes are mopeds in Ohio. But alas, it's a much more restrictive law than NM has,,, requiring a license plate. Often it's the case that you cannot get such plate for a homemade moped.

But on the bright side, cops seem to not give a shit provided you stay off the multi use path. So at least you seem to get away with riding your e bike, which may be illegal EVERYWHERE, on the street. Well, if it's illegal everywhere, at least you can run it faster. What's the diff? Illegal moped, illegal homemade motorcycle. Let er rip. :twisted:

Of course, a more modest e bike, using as much stealth as possible is not a bad idea. Ride 20 mph, don't be an ass going the wrong way on the street, etc.

In my area, the City has now put up the signs banning motorized vehicles of all types from the bike paths. But fortunately for me, nobody is patrolling them, no park police with nothing better to do around. I've had cops just grin my way, when they saw me riding on the path at 30 mph. But mostly I travel the path much slower, anytime anybody else is sharing the path. The paths are usually too unevenly paved to ride fast in any comfort anyway. I've had a few walkers yell at me, but those are the type who want all bikes banned from the "bike path".

markz said:
Just hide the hub motor behind some pannier bags, batteries can go inside the pannier bags and no on will have a clue what the controller is ontop of the rack.

That will be legal everywhere and anywhere on earth and in every country, until you start doing wheelies in front of the donut shop and you piss off the authorities.

Never understood this logic.
If I hide a pistol in my pocket is it now legal, everywhere and anywhere on earth?
Just because it's not obvious doesn't make it legal. Just means your less likely to be caught.

2 different crimes against humanity my friend.
Put hiding the motor in with the crime of speeding 3 over.

Then I am sure you never speed either. Or break any other law anywhere on earth. Good on you. That is very rare to obey ever law there is, because some laws are just stupid and they are still on the books. You can google them. Here are a few for which you are taken straight to prison for....
Pinal County, Arizona: No outdoor dancing
Washington: Report your crimes ahead of time.
Austin, Texas: You may not carry wire cutters in your back pocket.
North Carolina: No costume meetings
New Jersey: You may not pump your own gas
New Orleans: No cursing the fireman while he’s working.
Kennesaw, Georgia: You must own a gun
Seaside, Florida: Every house must have a white picket fence and two-story porch.
Southington, Connecticut: The sale of Silly String is banned.
Boulder, Colorado: No couches on the porch.
Los Angeles, California: No toad licking
Tennessee: Atheists and preachers may not serve in public office.

Mwkeefer,

If you only ride it on the street, and use it everyday, perhaps you can/should ... ( once you can get that DUI off your record and get your license back )

Put Headlight , and taillight, turn signals ( there are some pretty small turn signals made for sport motorcycles ) , a horn, a white lite under the tail light to light up a license plate,
then license it as a motorcycle.

In my state older motorcycles and most scooters are between $ 90 and $ 115 per year for registration, insurance can be around $ 115 a year.

So then you can go the speed you want.

There should be a thread started on how to do light weight components parts list for converting to motorcycle classification.

Back