MXUS 3000 Hub Motor - V1 V2 V3

John in CR said:
.....Sorry guys, another book-long post, but with those .5mm laminations, high power count, and big wheels you want to run, you're going to need the best controller settings possible to run big power.
Thanks for the explanation John. Mind you, I have exactly one completed eBike which was a Heinzmann classic brushed & geared front hub, came as a kit. I'm stepping into a new realm of eBike and will need all the help I can get. High regards!

nlhaines said:
I thought the Adaptto mini-e would pair nicely with the MXUS so I got a group buy started here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63612
Well done
About how much do those Sabvoton's go for?
As you prob know a mini-e is a [ 6 fet ] the sabvoton on the other hand im talking about is is a 24 fet 6kw continuous 12kw burst :shock: for 284 usd but around $90 for shipping to aus. for one unit. As you can see in the link they do other models.
John educational as always priceless :idea:

Allex said:
Mini-e has only 6 Fets

If so, I'm sure it's a different size fet that's capable of more.

Regarding the extra heat of high phase currents, I'm not talking about repeated launches because that's an operator malfunction. I'm talking about high phase currents occurring when you don't want them to, which is primarily situations riding at partial throttle especially under heavier loads like hills.

Torque throttle doesn't necessarily cure the issue. It does if it gives you direct control over phase current, but if it's just an immitation of torque controller by a different way of varying the width of pulses in PWM while still having a much higher phase current limit than battery current limit, then phase currents still multiply and spike wildly at low duty cycles where the BEMF of the motor can't keep them at bay.

HI , John, im a newby but im buying this motor. I was just taking to the salesman and she said the 5/12 windings are highspeed low torque . maybe im confused . is that right?

douglashart said:
HI , John, im a newby but im buying this motor. I was just taking to the salesman and she said the 5/12 windings are highspeed low torque . maybe im confused . is that right?
I admit that at this point in my endless-cycle of information overload, that I'm just as confused. Perhaps a MAC 10T from EM3ev would be more to the liking of many. The big difference is internal gearing in this class of motor. As stated, the gearing allows the motor to turn at higher speed where max efficiency gains are to be had (and lower heat ratios), and translate that to torque. Since the MXUS has no internal gearing, it probably rightly is being described as "low torque", comparatively. John had earlier alluded to the ways in which a brushless motor can achieve higher torque without sacrificing efficiency and internal gearing is one of the ways the hub motor industry deals with it.

Mac 500/1000W Motor
cell_man said:
The Mac Motor is a High Power, High Torque, Geared Hub Motor intended for Spoked Bicycle wheels from 16” to 700C. Rated Output power is typically between 500 to 1000W depending upon the motor winding selected and the operating voltage. An internal 5:1 planetary gear with clutch is implemented. New stronger Composite Gears are now standard on the 500W motors to ensure a long trouble free life. The gear reduction allows the motor to spin at a higher and more efficient rpm greatly improving the starting torque and hill climbing ability when compared with comparable Direct-Drive motors, whilst also being smaller and lighter than a comparable DD motor.

Allex said:
But MAC is out of the question if you want to build a silent bike - Like EVs should be in the first place.
Well, everyone is going to have their criteria and the selection process is best served knowing your options. Most of us live in cities sharing the road with a lot of noisy traffic. How important is a silent bike in that setting? But the noise of the upgraded MAC is not much anyway.

arkmundi said:
Allex said:
But MAC is out of the question if you want to build a silent bike - Like EVs should be in the first place.
Well, everyone is going to have their criteria and the selection process is best served knowing your options. Most of us live in cities sharing the road with a lot of noisy traffic. How important is a silent bike in that setting? But the noise of the upgraded MAC is not much anyway.

Silence is golden.

There is no such thing as a high torque or low torque winding of the same motor. Anyone who says different need to look again at the 2nd chart I posted from Astro and keep doing so until this point is hammered home.

It is such a widespread myth that even many so called manufacturers as well as actual manufacturers and almost all retailers propagate the myth. Yes they have different torque for the same current, but more current is easy to come by with today's controllers, but the so called low torque speed winds have proportionately thicker shorter lengths of copper wrapped around their teeth, so they can handle the higher current for exactly the same heat loss to deliver the same torque. For exactly the same performance the speed wind motor needs only the proportionately higher current and proportionately lower voltage. That means exactly the same performance on hills, speed, acceleration, efficiency...everything.

If you compare 2 different winds using the same battery pack and controller settings, then you're doing an apples and oranges comparison, and this is where the myth originated and why some very experienced posters continue to propagate the myth based not on an intent to deceive, but based on anecdotal evidence that leads them to incorrect conclusions.

The better motor, given otherwise identical motors with different winds, is the one that fits more copper on the teeth, because it will have better efficiency. For this MXUS 3000 the 2 known windings have the same copper (turns X strands), so they are identical motors in all respects if you consider voltage and current to be variable. Another known motor regarding turns and strand counts for different winds is the 9C, and the 8x8 is the best with 64 strands on each, and the 9x7 and 7x9 a close second with 63. The highly touted as a high torque motor 10 turns with 6 strands on each turn is the worst of the bunch with 6% less copper on each tooth than the 8x8. MAC offers different turn counts on their geared hubbies that people talk about a lot, and I'm fairly certain the gear ratio on the planetary reductions are the same making them identical motors other than the copper, so it would be interesting to know the strand counts too (anyone asking them should verify that the copper uses is the same gauge for accurate comparisons), and we can bust their participation in the myth out of the water too.

If you want more torque then reduce the gearing with a smaller wheel size. Guys can hardly complain about going from a 26" to a 24", and for an average guy and his ebike, that's the same as cutting 20lbs off of the bike. :shock: If you increase voltage in the same proportion you get almost 8% more power with the same top speed, and less heat due to the less stressful load, better cooling due to the higher rpm, and more acceleration. Going down to a 20" wheel instead of a 26" is where it really gets impressive, because it's like cutting 55-60lbs off of the average bike, and on mine it's like a 90lb lighter load, actually over 100lbs since I run a 19.25" OD tire. These comparisons hold up as long as you aren't bumping up against the rpm limits of the motor where the iron losses start to increase more rapidly with rpm. Why do you think China isn't putting out electric motorcycles with common moto size wheels with hubmotors in them? I assure you it's not because there's no demand.

My motor has half the pole count and high quality thin stator steel laminations, so it's fine out well past 2krpm, and it's big enough to produce the torque and power, as well as modded to dissipate the heat from running high power, so that's why it's capable of over 100mph and still able to climb the steepest paved roads I can find (>20% grades) despite my big load. With the MXUS 3000 you guys are somewhat rpm limited by the stator steel and Kv, but you don't have all that much less area in the magnetic gap and the all up loads for most of you should be significantly less than my 400lbs+, so if you're not getting eye popping performance then you're just not trying hard enough...or following the wrong advice. Forget the big wheels though, because that will be your biggest mistake right out of the gate, because you'd need to DIY carbon frames and run small battery packs to make up for it. If your roads are so bad that a 20" vs a 26" really makes as difference, then move. I did almost 3 years ago, and the top criteria in house selection was that it had to have nice smooth roads in all directions. I even have a nice 5-6% uphill grade heading east, which is perfect for ebike testing...not too steep and easy to get home coasting down hill if something blows during testing. Gotta get your priorities straight if you're going to take this hobby seriously. :mrgreen:

John

"If your roads are so bad that a 20" vs a 26" really makes as difference, then move."
haha, well, some of us like to do a lot off-roading so we need at least 24" for better roll.

And as of high/low torque. 95% of people who use electric drives (R/C hobby and e-bikes) have one style battery pack and several motors with different windings, this is how it's always been and not the other way around. So to have more torque or more speed you just swap out the motor.

Allex said:
"If your roads are so bad that a 20" vs a 26" really makes as difference, then move."
haha, well, some of us like to do a lot off-roading so we need at least 24" for better roll.

And as of high/low torque. 95% of people who use electric drives (R/C hobby and e-bikes) have one style battery pack and several motors with different windings, this is how it's always been and not the other way around. So to have more torque or more speed you just swap out the motor.

Swap out motor, OK it is doable. But is it really feasible say just for an hour of fun riding a new trail, or to join in on the fun in the BMX cross track. Some of you might do it, but I think many of us me included would just say, naahh fcuk that new trail I can't find the energy to swap motors today.

There should be a different way, a more sustainable way that would work for even the laziest of us :D

John in CR said:
There is no such thing as a high torque or low torque winding of the same motor. Anyone who says different need to look again at the 2nd chart I posted from Astro and keep doing so until this point is hammered home.
The Motor alone may have the same theoretical efficiency, but i guess the efficiency of the complete drive system will differ.
As i know from RC motor simulations comparing the same type of motor but with different kV, the lower kV with higher battery voltage was almost always the best choice.
Not sure exactly why, but maybe it was because the same controller was selected. though it was very oversized..
If your roads are so bad that a 20" vs a 26" really makes as difference, then move. I did almost 3 years ago, and the top criteria in house selection was that it had to have nice smooth roads in all directions.
you definitely would speak different if the roads would not be that nice and smooth at your area.
trust me, there is a difference on how the big unsprung motor mass affects the handling of the bike in proportion to wheel size.
I went from 16" moped to 17" moped wheels and the bike felt noticable better (i have set amps proportional higher to have same acceleration). i do not care much about bumps on a straight road, but where i noticed the most was when leaning into corners when accelerating (i do often in the city where i live :) ). In this situation small wheels are fail. Maybe its no problem with a heavy bike and heavy rider (which causes high preload on the damper), but with a light frame and light rider the heavy wheel cannot be hold on the ground by the suspension. that means its to long in the air after a bump and traction is very poor..

macribs said:
Swap out motor, OK it is doable. But is it really feasible say just for an hour of fun riding a new trail, or to join in on the fun in the BMX cross track. Some of you might do it, but I think many of us me included would just say, naahh fcuk that new trail I can't find the energy to swap motors today.

There should be a different way, a more sustainable way that would work for even the laziest of us :D

There is. You build another bike. :D
About the only thing you might easily swap would be the battery.

Or maybe do like John once said, have two sprockets up front and two at the back lined up.
Different gearing is a matter of swapping the chain. This for a mid drive o/c.

In real life I am not sure how that would work, I mean different gearing would mean different chain length right?
A chain tensioner on the top speed setting and no tensioner on the torque setting?

Or remove the chain altogether and replace it, with a longer one. But that would lead to the laziness awaken. Would feel like too much PIA to carry extra chain and do a swap before riding for 30 minutes with your friends.

Can anyone one think of a way to simply just lift the chain from one sprocket set to the other? Keep in mind that a torquer gearing will need longer or shorter chain.

Could one have all the gearing in the front sprocket? Changing 4 teeth up front would mean what 12-16 teeth at the back? I don't have much experience with bikes, but for motox there was not a wide range of front sprockets, one could only add/remove a few teeth. So changes was commonly done in the rear as there was a much wider selection of teeth counts for rear sprocket. Most of the times that meant longer or shorter chain as well.

But maybe if one got a sprocket custom made it should be possible to have two front sprockets with a rather large difference in teeth count, for top speed/commute and for torque hill climbing/hooligan stunt riding? Don't know how to do the math here, but how much difference in teeth count would one need say to change top speed from 50 mph to 30 mph?

This should be a nice, cheap, no-complex, light weight solution to gear changes. If one can do with one chain and just lift chain over to next cog set all that is added is the weight of 2 sprockets.

You can't use a hubmotor for any serious off-roading, and even just trail riding it's a pretty poor compromise. Even on bumpy streets it sucks, and yes I have hubmotors in larger wheels, but I still go ahead and avoid the holes and bumps in the road, but they're definitely lower performance bikes than they could be with smaller wheels. The beauty of single track is easily dodging bumps and holes. Swapping out anything, even pulling batteries off to charge them unless it's a simple plug-n-play unit like many Chinese ebikes is crazy AFAIC. Everyone doing it has unwanted plasma events, and the inconvenience makes all that fiddling a separate hobby. If people want to run big wheels, I understand the reasons. I was just pointing out that there's a significant performance hit and a different motor wind can't solve it.

Madin88,
It sounds like a bad simulator, or the real issue is that any given prop is most efficient in a quite narrow rpm range, or you saw apples and oranges comparisons, or the high Kv stuff was poorly wound or with different amounts of copper or the difference was from the same gauge wiring outside the motor. Do you think Astro, the maker of some of the top RC motors, made up that chart? That's not to say controllers don't behave differently, and very low turn count hubbies can be very hard for controllers to drive, but that has nothing to do with the "torque motor" myth. It's relatively straight forward physics, and just like Luke I love physics too, because the numbers don't lie. It's not statistics.

The route to success with a combination use rig is having enough motor that it's running stress free in it's different uses. Right now I'm pushing the speed envelope pretty far on my bike, and in doing so I'm taking a pretty big hit with higher wh/mile in regular riding. That's because I spend the majority of the time at a much lower throttle position, because I pretty much live below 50% of top speed. I can still blast up any grade, so I didn't take it too far, and being able to snug up behind a Porsche Caiman at about 45mph climbing a big hill on the highway, and then pulling dead even before nailing it and leaving him behind in a cloud of ions unable to catch me until we crested the top of the hill, like I did a few months ago, is worth every electron it costs me. :mrgreen:

Macribs,
Though OT, the way to do it, which I believe I put in the PM, is that you have an equal total tooth counter for the front+rear sprockets or pulleys for both gearings. Then if there is a length difference at all, the idler can handle it. You don't just increase the size of the rear sprocket to pull that off. You get the right sprockets so for the lower gearing the number of teeth on the rear increases by the same number of teeth that the front sprocket decreases for the same total length. My motors spin at a low enough rpm that pulling it off and getting a sizable reduction should be pretty simple.

John

...second motor arrived from Samd just now.

scratched, gouged, dented and damaged... looks like it's been bench tested and something hard has touched up against it whilst it was spinning or come loose and flew about. Heaps of chips out of the flange and a major depression on one side. This motor was bound for a bike I am building for sale.... simply can't use it in the condition it's in. Most disappointing.
Gonna have to get another.....

20141023_085744.jpg

20141023_085828.jpg

Willow that is a shame - my apologies. I still have mine on the bench, I'll send it to you today and cover postage back for the other.

Was the packaging molested in any way? The others were good so I didn't even bother checking the last!!!

I molested the box... as you do. But the packaging was not too bad - no signs of heavy molestation.

maybe wrap the terminated leads in tape so they don't scratch things... I'll box this one back up and send it back.

Cheers ol' boy.

Bummer willow. Unfortunately this is common place from alot of chinese suppliers. I've had similar come to me when sampling motors. As you said some of that scratching could be from the wiring bashing around but even so it's excessive. It looks like some of the gouges have been touched up, which means they knowingly shipped it like that, I see this all the time. How bloody hard is it to make this gear without dropping every piece of it down a flight of stairs before assembly and packaging ? :roll:

...I was talking some months ago to the guys at Zelena Vozilla - who were dealing directly with the Chinese manufacturers. They had to send large numbers of them back to the factory because of quality issues - such as badly scratched side covers etc.
You would think they would have packaging sorted so this does not happen.... unless of course it left the factory like that.

Thanks Samd for the replacement... I've just boxed it up and heading to post office now.

Thanks Willow, will duck home at lunch shortly. Hopefully mine is better - too busy with builds I left mine til last!!!

...Public Holiday here today - Postie delivered, but the Post Office is closed.... will get there tomorrow.

I don't need it urgently - so don't bust your arse to get it in the mail today.

Thanks.

Back