• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

My cheap bike

mikefish

100 W
I know my bike is not a favorite amongst the build it yourselfers here.

It lacks top speed, it lacks disc brakes, it lacks real suspension...ect, ect, ect.

But I wanted to post picks of it because I am proud.

Proud of my bike. It has shown me that i do not NEED a car. It has gotten me to become more informed about electronics, though i still have a LONG, long way to go. It has also forced me to learn about bike repair, and shown me that you can do most of this yourself if you just get off your lazy butt! lol

I have replaced the stock seat with a wider spring seat. The tires were switched out for more street favorable tires (with slime tubes).

Batteries just replaced after almost 1200 miles. Still SLA, and old batteries are still kicking, just want my old "punch" back!

Looking into selling my car soon!

My_E-Zip.jpg

Yes, someday, I will "upgrade" to something with a little more punch, and quality, but for the price, I give Currie so much credit for getting people into this "addiction" for such a small price!

being a cheaper has its advantage in his way. Slower is good for the everlasting gears and it won't stress the spokes too much. Spokes will be good state. unlike my hi-speed / high troque bike 0- 50km/h in a few seconds... i face broken spokes in my rear wheel. how come ? being a cheaper in cost means you can change them anytime for battery happily without any worry in Bills of a new battery. it won't cause too much attention around you. You can anytime park your bike without the need to get extra solid locks.

being a lower in cost - Always has it benefits and advatage in many ways, you have yet to discover all of them one by one!!

cheers
kentlim26

nicobie said:
It looks like it gets the job done and besides, you've got to have something to ride when you do your second build. :wink:

second build? hehe technically i have yet to build anything! :lol: (thanks though!)

kentlim26 said:
being a lower in cost - Always has it benefits and advatage in many ways, you have yet to discover all of them one by one!!

very true, when i start pricing the parts for what i would like on my first build it yourself bike, i get worried about that much money sitting outside where i can not see it! i try to always stay in eye sight of my bike, or bring it inside where i can.
but how nerve racking it must be to have 500+ dollars in batteries sitting in a bag with just a zipper stopping people from taking it! thanks you 60 dollar SLAs LOL

Agreed... it's all about riding something that gets the job done. When I had my first ebike I used to just jump on and pedal my heart out and be blissfully happy the motor was helping me even tho I was only doing 18-21mph. Now I gotta keep a lot on my mind with all the upgraded new equipment on my 4th ebike. Yeah it's got a lot more bells and whistles over the original one but sometimes simple is just better.

Oh yea I love " My cheap bike " Can't beat a motor kit on sale 270 delivered and I already had 2 sla batts. 22 dollars for another one. That's it. Of course I'm always dreaming about another one. I want a full susp.for dirt roads. But that is more money and yes I'm cheap.Well and broke :x

torker said:
Oh yea I love " My cheap bike " Can't beat a motor kit on sale 270 delivered and I already had 2 sla batts. 22 dollars for another one. That's it. Of course I'm always dreaming about another one. I want a full susp.for dirt roads. But that is more money and yes I'm cheap.Well and broke :x

i know all about the "broke" thing :D

speaking of cheap kits, i would love to see a link of the one you are talking about for 270!

i found this complete front wheel kit for 200 bucks:
http://www.werelectrified.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BD24+KIT&Show=TechSpecs
they say the motor will also work with 36volt if i wanted to upgrade in the future.

i would love to find a cheap full suspension bike on craigslist, then slap the 200 dollar kit on it. im hoping to do it all for less then 400, but i have to save a bit more, and still waiting for the right bike to pop up on CL.

mikefish said:
I know my bike is not a favorite amongst the build it yourselfers here.

It lacks top speed, it lacks disc brakes, it lacks real suspension...ect, ect, ect.

But I wanted to post picks of it because I am proud.

Proud of my bike. It has shown me that i do not NEED a car. It has gotten me to become more informed about electronics, though i still have a LONG, long way to go. It has also forced me to learn about bike repair, and shown me that you can do most of this yourself if you just get off your lazy butt! lol

I have replaced the stock seat with a wider spring seat. The tires were switched out for more street favorable tires (with slime tubes).

Batteries just replaced after almost 1200 miles. Still SLA, and old batteries are still kicking, just want my old "punch" back!

Looking into selling my car soon!

Yes, someday, I will "upgrade" to something with a little more punch, and quality, but for the price, I give Currie so much credit for getting people into this "addiction" for such a small price!
Make no humble excuses. YOU are on the right track.

It all depends: I Say, and oh, I will never shut up:
Get a quality, cheap but good Chinese cruiser hard-tail, name brand or not, from the LBS
because the LBS does not sell Wally-kill-you bikes.

A fellow spends two to three bills for such a bike.

If he lives in flat land, and plans to e-fy the bike: NO gears are really needed.

NOTHING beats the mechanical efficiency, purity, ruggedness, reliability and SILENCE of a
plain old coaster brake bike. GET ONE with a front brake, rim or caliper, preferably disk,
for safety.

Here is my interminable thread: STEATH CRUISER SUBMARINE EBIKE, project under(water) construction :wink:

This will always be my fave bike of all because i LOVE SILENCE.
No clickededy-click of freewheels and ratchets when coasting or driving.
SLICK tires: no road noise, practically; toads in the roads, and slow SNAILS will die,
not hearing your coming :mrgreen: DING BELL to warn away skittish cats and Hummer H2s :roll:

HERE 'I' AM, in the very near future-past (I role-play for fun, and am a happy biker)
[youtube]hvRjzGqgYtA[/youtube]
I love George; he is who I wish I were.

EBIKES RULE...so do you and all the E.S. Emperors of E-steeds

Good speed and safety
, however, you choose and then build,
but, all of us, BUILD WE MUST. We are e-bike creators, each our own man,

or in my case...
barneyfife-1.jpg

Resident Clown :D ... seriously :D scary :wink: ,

Reid, the meek and humble Brackish Water Drinker

HOW TO GET HOME WHEN YOU SUFFER AN EBIKE BREAKDOWN:

[youtube]6exm2Hi28Xw[/youtube]excellent first aid plan for Xlite cover-breakers and spoke-bustahs'
(ehhhh...skip the last drop of oil, though? :wink: )

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

i know all about the "broke" thing :D

speaking of cheap kits, i would love to see a link of the one you are talking about for 270!

i found this complete front wheel kit for 200 bucks:
http://www.werelectrified.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BD24+KIT&Show=TechSpecs
they say the motor will also work with 36volt if i wanted to upgrade in the future.

i would love to find a cheap full suspension bike on craigslist, then slap the 200 dollar kit on it. im hoping to do it all for less then 400, but i have to save a bit more, and still waiting for the right bike to pop up on CL.[/quote]

I got mine on sale when Jason at ebikekits had the clearance sale a few months ago. I think he might have 50 dollars off right now for ES members.I got really lucky it was 244 plus shipping so I jumped on it. I've seen the brushed kits you mentioned. They are cheaper but I'm glad he had the sale so I could get a brushless.

Here is a 9c on salehttp://www.ampedbikes.com/http://www.ampedbikes.com/

vanilla ice said:
Rear suspension is a huge PITA for ebikes..

the only drawback i can see, is the difficulty in finding a place to mount the batteries.

and either a front hub, or rear hub would not interfere with the suspension, or other normal components.

im just going off what i can see, and the little i have read.

could you elaborate on why its such a pain?

Not just the lack of strong rear rack mounting, also in these DS frames front triangle space is usually non-existent. Either of which would be ok alone, but together it makes for a pain. BTW nice bike! Nothing to be ashamed of imo.

oh yeah, im trying my darnedest to get a full suspension with an "empty triangle" but it is proving a very daunting task. :|

thanks for the comment on my bike, but im not ashamed, like i said, im very proud of it (i think my wife is jealous ;) and we all had to start somewhere! the ebike bug has bit me, and nothing is changing my ebike grin either! i will someday make my first build. its just a matter of money, and deciding what i really want out of an ebike. part of my wants full suspension, and the other part of me wants light and fast. so many way to get so many different effects and performance, i just have to get close, and give it a try!

Also adding alot of unsprung weight - assuming a hub motor- to a suspension will alter how well the susp. works. If you stuck with a lighter hub it might not be as bad. I would love to hear from folks who have comments on before and after ride quality after adding a hub to rear susp.

mikefish said:
..we all had to start somewhere!
Far as I can tell the bike is nicer than anything I've got running..

Doc might have the DS rack mounting thing nailed. Or maybe not, I cant tell. I asked about his rack mount setup in his family bikes thread, but he has not replied yet.

torker said:
Also adding alot of unsprung weight - assuming a hub motor- to a suspension will alter how well the susp. works. If you stuck with a lighter hub it might not be as bad. I would love to hear from folks who have comments on before and after ride quality after adding a hub to rear susp.

The Bafang/wheel on my rear suspension is only about 3 lbs heavier than the rear wheel it replaced. I actually was able to reduce spring rate as it was set too stiff originally. Ride is the same!
otherDoc

Cool on the Bafang rear. I figured the lighter hubs should be ok. I want to put a rear hub on my EZ-Rider 20" w rear susp. but I don't want to compromise the ride. The other issue that worries me is a radial laced wheel on back. Most of the weight is back there already. I could do a front hub like my TE but would have to change forks I think, more $$ I don't want to spend.

If you ever want a 2nd e-bike, I built mine for about $600 so you can build a decent bike for cheap. I only get about 10 miles range, though. I hear you can get some cheap lithium polymer for almost the same cost of lead acid so that could increase the range.

My Forsen hub motor has been pretty reliable so far. I think it's a german brand.

morph999 said:
If you ever want a 2nd e-bike, I built mine for about $600 so you can build a decent bike for cheap. I only get about 10 miles range, though. I hear you can get some cheap lithium polymer for almost the same cost of lead acid so that could increase the range.

My Forsen hub motor has been pretty reliable so far. I think it's a german brand.

i am interested in your set up!

10 miles is more than i need, but is the minimum i would like to have. i really dont need more than that.

tell me more about your 600 dollar setup please!

i run a fs bike with nothing in the triangle (rear shock below seat)
i also scored a rear 9C from jason for the same price
the bike i use is a ccm vandal on sale for 159 reg 299 at canadian tire so a 600 dollar fs ebike is doable...mine is a little more with 4 yardworks bats 2s 2p on a rear rack
you could fit a bunch of lipo's or a 123's in the triangle
on the first build i fit 2 yw bats and controller easily in the triangle
the ride was well balanced when in the frame a little light on the front now that the bats are on the rack
this bike also can bolt on a rear disk brake
anyways there are cheap alternatives you just have to shop around
if i went sla's i would have spent less than 600

wasp said:
i run a fs bike with nothing in the triangle (rear shock below seat)
i also scored a rear 9C from jason for the same price
the bike i use is a ccm vandal on sale for 159 reg 299 at canadian tire so a 600 dollar fs ebike is doable...mine is a little more with 4 yardworks bats 2s 2p on a rear rack
you could fit a bunch of lipo's or a 123's in the triangle
on the first build i fit 2 yw bats and controller easily in the triangle
the ride was well balanced when in the frame a little light on the front now that the bats are on the rack
this bike also can bolt on a rear disk brake
anyways there are cheap alternatives you just have to shop around
if i went sla's i would have spent less than 600

I looked up the Vandal. Cool bike. It has a ton of room in the triangle. That is about what I want for my second build.

Mike, here is my setup

Forsen hub motor + ecrazyman 48v 1000w controller = $475
5 12v9ah CSB batteries that I bought from Nomad85 = $75

The Forsen hub motor is not the motor you want if you like a lot of torque but it goes 33 mph. I got tires that are 60 psi and the thing flyes. I can get up all the hills around my house even the steep ones. I have to pedal a little but it's no problem for me. I've never tried going up a hill on motor alone yet so I don't know how that would go. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my bike. What I like about it is that it's not so expensive that it would completely break my spirit if it was stolen. So I just leave all the batteries on my bike, put my 12mm 5018 Onguard Chain around it and go in to the store. I bought a $14 Nashbar triangle frame bag to hold the 5018 Onguard chain. It just barely fits. I don't even notice the chain is there anymore.

I bought the Forsen hub at cycle9 on clearance. I don't think they have them anymore but falconev has them I think. It goes about 27 mph on 48v and goes 33 mph on 60v. I weigh about 230 lbs.

Sacman said:
Agreed... it's all about riding something that gets the job done. When I had my first ebike I used to just jump on and pedal my heart out and be blissfully happy the motor was helping me even tho I was only doing 18-21mph. Now I gotta keep a lot on my mind with all the upgraded new equipment on my 4th ebike. Yeah it's got a lot more bells and whistles over the original one but sometimes simple is just better.

Agree. You could spend $2500 on a really good e-bike but sweat your balls off while you are in the store and worry someone will take it. Or spend $600 on a e-bike that you have to pedal a little and not worry while you are in the store that someone will take it.

The higher cost of the bike has a higher attention for bike thiefs. the lower end the safer as it move attention from a thiefs interests.the lower cost of a bike usually has a lighter weight so it will be always more comfortable in riding and handling, unlike the faster one. The handling is more difficult and it cannot mistakes for old spokes. so it is good to own one hi and a low end bikes. You got 2 choices to used for each purpose for the best cost.

best regards
kentlim

this is great information! i will need to access it at a later time though...

unfortunately, some HUGE freaking dental bills just popped up, and looks like what i have for an Ebike is going to have to do for some time still.

It was either a wife with no teeth (in the future) or my next Ebike.

stupid dentist :cry:

I'm in the wrong profession!

Back