My God We are ALL DOOMED

Ummm... And who "commands" the young people (Hint: May not be some "gawd", though a crusader might argue differently. Must check/see how that war is going.)

Exactly.

EDIT: The phrase "What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate" is a quotation from the 1967 film Cool Hand Luke, spoken at different points in the movie first by Strother Martin (as the Captain, a prison warden)

And some might suggest, before "communication" comes LEARNING (watt usually doesn't come from parents these daze, but is left instead in the hands of pubic (sp?) school "teachers".)

Yeah the problem with communication is that it is needed in the first place. It is impossible to transfer an understanding from one person to another without some degree of misunderstanding.

"...transfer an understanding from one person..." Hehe... And EVen that "source person information" may be suspect.

;) The good thing about it would be that one could get the whole idea in the transfer and if the person originating the transfer might have been off somehow, it will become apparent. It would be like what Spock could do.

Myself, I prefer to "communicate" by electronic mail (or email", for short). Plus we now have the "internet" (gawds bless the military!), watt lets us "communicate" with the other human animals over the whole world (much of it, anyway. EG, I am in current email exchange w/a lady somewhere in China, about getting just one of their lead-acid batts watt I hope to copy by example). EVen better, "communicate" (usually in some form of the Engrish language) via pubic (?) forums ("forums"? In case any Romans should happen by.) And in "forums", watts better than any "knowledge" given or learned? Sober (much of the time) "second" thought. (And third, fourth, fifth, and so on, aka "backup"/verification.)

It's good how the exchange of ideas breaks down barriers between people in the world to help move us forward.

Harold in CR said:
Check out THIS article. :roll:

Looking at this article again I notice they really try to spin and demonify metals such as Cobalt as something similar to Cadmium or Lead etc.
The article also goes on about lithium mining, sure you can argue about the effects of mining metals, but its the same with all metals, all industrial gold miners for example use heaps of cyanide to collect gold from the ore etc,merely using any electrical device to submit his rubbish article on the internet caused the mining of gold and other evil metals, if you live in a modern city you have caused mining to happen so this article is just digging at the bottom of the barrel in that regard.

Back to batteries, firstly the huge battery pack in Tesla cars are never going to be just thrown in the local domestic bin like for example a combustion cars lead acid battery could, there no practical thing to do with it other then have it sent to a recycling center that can properly deal with it. It has significantly less chance even under extreme circumstances to go ending up sitting on someones front lawn or nature strip then a car engine block.

Also Cobalt is already present in the worlds most common rechargable battery Nickel–metal hydride (NiMH) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride_battery

Cobalt compared to Cadmium is actually needed in the human body to function properly while Cadmium is just pure toxic to humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt
Cobalt is essential to all animals. It is a key constituent of cobalamin, also known as vitamin B12, which is the primary biological reservoir of cobalt as an "ultratrace" element.[75] Bacteria in the guts of ruminant animals convert cobalt salts into vitamin B12, a compound which can only be produced by bacteria or archaea. The minimum presence of cobalt in soils therefore markedly improves the health of grazing animals..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium
There is a lot in in wikipedia about harmful effects of cadmium.
Cadmium is also an environmental hazard. Human exposures to environmental cadmium are primarily the result of fossil fuel combustion, phosphate fertilizers, natural sources, iron and steel production, cement production and related activities, nonferrous metals production, and municipal solid waste incineration...Cadmium exposure is a risk factor associated with early atherosclerosis and hypertension, which can both lead to cardiovascular disease.

"Science" (the human species aka "people") maybe to the rescue! The article "Researchers build nonflammable lithium ion battery", here:
http://scienceblog.com/70332/researchers-build-nonflammable-lithium-ion-battery/

Back