My LiPo monitoring balance charging dream machine

markw

10 W
Basically a cell-log but for 12 or more (or simply, a large number of) packs of 4-6s. Monitors voltage, logs data, trends data, measures IR, alarm option for specified low voltage, comes with a temperature probe to place in your brick/compartment/battery storage. Balance leads plug in on one side. Unit comes with spacers for unused pins so that none remain exposed and a perfect fit is made. On the other side of device is a bulk balance charging plug that brings all cells to parallel which can be plugged into a single or dual port smart chargers. People using smart chargers and meanwells to bulk charge without bms would benefit by having the ultimate human BMS. Efforts would be needed to condense the package into a small form factor so it may be stored with batteries. In my perfect world it's about the size of an early gopro.

Save yourself the bother of a screen on the unit. Unit stays in the battery compartment/bag and uses a wifi module to connect to an app on your phone similar to that of the gopro app. That and/or the unit is able to be programed via your phone to connect to your home wifi network whenever it is in range and will poll data only on the hour to refrain from draining battery via a sustained wifi connection. For high amp hour batteries live polling could be an option. Push messages could be sent to your phone as well as an alarm when cell voltage drops at certain rates or when temperature increases beyond acceptable limits. You could be at work but also checking your individual cell voltages, IR, temps, cycle counts, and more.

Option to use telephone to scan (photo) battery via UPC or enter battery profile (Brand, retailer, batch #, cell count, capacity). Data captured from users can be then used to provide information on batteries to consumers. IE: Typically Zippy 20c batteries will have w for starting IR, x cycles before capacity drop, y number of cell fails, z catastrophic fails. Your private battery data could be saved and then interpreted to give a breakdown of your own battery history. IE: List/calendar of dates with events related to voltage/temperature warnings/failures. IE: Maybe it would be good to know that cell #3 fell below acceptable voltages three days in a row.

Could be set up for multiple chemistries but at least start with LiPo. Could be used for hobbyists with multiple LiPos in the house. For folks looking to monitor their solar setups.

Even BMS can't help you when a cell shorts. A device like this can by sending a message/alarm to your phone that your batteries are under/over acceptable limits for voltage/temperature. I might be the only person who would want this. A product like this may just be impossible to engineer with all the goals in mind for reasons I probably may never understand because I am no where near the caliber of clever as most of you are. But, I thought I'd post it anyway.

There was a prototype 16S cell log type thing years ago. Never saw much more about it. I think many advanced users are into Adaptto or however it's spelled...

"Even BMS can't help you when a cell shorts"

I disagree. Once any cell is below LVC 2.8-3V = Li-ion, RC Lipo, BMS pulls the plug either charge or discharge.

There's a small BT (bluetooth) 8 channel volt meter with alarm function - iCell. Kinda cool, mine had channel calibration drift way out but it helped watch some cells under load before I installed BMS circuits.

Always good to dream and ponder but a properly installed, decent BMS is a very solid and standard approach to protection from under & over discharge conditions.

A bms that did include a screen would be neat IMO. Especially if it was something that plugged in, allowing the screen to be mounted on the dash or bars. A display would allow you to see which cell is the sagger, when you do or when you don't need to let it charge some more to get balanced.

The poor guy way to get this, is to add some jst plugs to your balance wires. Then you can use two cellogs to monitor your battery cell by cell. The problem with this, is when you open up your pack, you void a warranty.

I wouldn't require it to talk to my phone, but it would be cool if you got a beep out of it when you are getting close to cutoff. I do like to slow down some, and hammer the pack less hard when it's close. I can tell this by watching my CA, but sometimes you forget to look for a long time. A beep when one cell is way lower than the others would be cool too. Sort of a , "hey it's out of balance these days" warning.

i can see it now. headline will read> "driver runs over bicyclist while texting and at same time bicyclist was distracted by reading text from his battery monitor doohickey."

Ykick said:
There was a prototype 16S cell log type thing years ago. Never saw much more about it. I think many advanced users are into Adaptto or however it's spelled...

"Even BMS can't help you when a cell shorts"

I disagree. Once any cell is below LVC 2.8-3V = Li-ion, RC Lipo, BMS pulls the plug either charge or discharge.

There's a small BT (bluetooth) 8 channel volt meter with alarm function - iCell. Kinda cool, mine had channel calibration drift way out but it helped watch some cells under load before I installed BMS circuits.

Always good to dream and ponder but a properly installed, decent BMS is a very solid and standard approach to protection from under & over discharge conditions.

Yeah... Those adapttos are really pretty ideal. Something similar but more compact and universal was what I had in mind. That iCell is something maybe I should look into. As well as, definitely learning more about nonhuman BMS. BMS

More on the cell short... When this occurs is it the case that it just dies and v falls to zero? Shorts occuring in lipos due to the dendrils (little tentacley guys made of ... solder?) It surely would depend on the BMS type itself, but could a BMS sound an alarm for when this occurs? I also kind of just like the idea of being at work and knowing my batteries are safe, maybe the whole idea would be better angled as a full BMS package with having wifi capability for the same reasons.

Back