My open email to LYEN

Mr Lyen just called me, and programmed the controller via remote viewing of my laptop.

He says everything should be right now. He was very friendly on the phone and apologized for the communication delays.

If a moderator wishes to close or delete this thread, please do so.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

There you go! 8)

once again , thanks to everyone.

cant wait to ride tommorrow and use the full capacity of my lifepo4 for the first time in 2 years.

OP, this hobby is not for people with intelligence of cashiers from walmart. No offence.
You need to read up and research.
This forum has answers for everything.

LSBW said:
OP, this hobby is not for people with intelligence of cashiers from walmart. No offence.
You need to read up and research.
This forum has answers for everything.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The original download I was sent could not simply be downloaded via normal procedures of extraction/open/run from my laptop. I spent at least 4 hours on my own, trying to get it to download { it shoulda taken 3 minutes at most} . I was fortunate enough to find a person on this forum who had experienced a similar problem I had and he had vast knowledge of how to deal with the problem. This person spent at least 1 hour with me over the phone, and using remote viewing so he could see the problems on my end , to allow the download to be completed.

On the subject of intelligence, I think you meant to type the word " offense" since that term is the more commonly used word in regards to your implications. :D

sunnyday said:
Mr Lyen just called me, and programmed the controller via remote viewing of my laptop.

He says everything should be right now. He was very friendly on the phone and apologized for the communication delays.

It would be great if you posted a screen shot of your configuration screen so that we have a reference for the future.

Posted the 29th, solved the 29th. That is all I need to retain.
You should try the service experience after buying an Ebay kit, and asking for service 2 years later :D
Some people are procrastinating for years, then expect the rest of the world to be at their instant service. :roll:

LSBW said:
OP, this hobby is not for people with intelligence of cashiers from walmart.
Please, a lot of decent hardworking perfectly nice people work at Walmart. No need to imply that Walmart workers are all unreasonable whiners who cannot fend for themselves to the extent of RTFM and Google or are too lazy to bother.

ambroseliao said:
sunnyday said:

It would be great if you posted a screen shot of your configuration screen so that we have a reference for the future.

I agree. If not a screenshot, then at least write the settings you used successfully to help others in the future.

I was also unable to get the program loaded on my computer. It just won't go on some computers.

VERY interesting to know he could reprogram your computer on line.

This is exactly why you buy Lyens. Can you imagine CS like that from say, bms battery?

I have been reading this thread, and I can not help myself from smiling. :mrgreen:

I remember very well how frustrating it can be if you want something done, and don't know how to do it. Getting Lyen's controllers to work does require some DIY skills, including finding some information for yourself. I know, as I have bought quite a lot of Lyen's controllers. Then again, with the info that Lyen usually gives with his controllers I was almost always able to get them to work. There were a few times that I needed help, and either I got it from the ES forum, or I got it from Edward himself via email or PM. That info also includes a simple screenshot of the program settings screen and a manual how to set these settings and flash the controller.

I was just wondering whether the OP also payed for a contract that obliges Lyen to provide a response within 24 hours. Such contracts are usually very expensive. Without such a contract, it sounds a bit unreasonable to expect an individual response during the weekend. Anyway, Lyen always responded to me very quickly, many times within 4 hours, even without such a contract. Other people obviously have a different experience with Lyen. :cry:

As other members have pointed out, most of the questions of the OP can actually be found here on ES. Some members actually provided the information, and even though the OP thanked for that, it is not clear whether he actually looked into it and learned something. :evil:

Remote desktop help for programming a controller is going above and beyond the call of duty! I salute any ebike dealer willing to go that far! Hats off to Lyen.

Way to go Edward! It's this type of stuff that makes me happy that I purchased my 18 FET from him.

I have 2- 12 fet from Lyen and recieved support within 24 hours of request. I am east coast and he is west coast. I am very happy with the service I have gotten from Lyen.

I've got Lyen controllers, I've had problems. But no complaints here- he always helps, perhaps not straight away but he has other customers, and everyone deserves a life. I bet the help we get from him is streets ahead of the help from most of the sellers moving 100's of controllers......

I had an issue with Lyen this last week. It was a mixup that he quickly and satisfactorily handled. I would not ever hesitate to contact him for a controller. He tests every one and does a great job. It only takes 3 days to get a controller to your door from sending him first contact. I say that is pretty darn good.

Had an issue with mine, Lyen remoted into my machine and fixed the issue.

Then spent 15 minutes going through my setup e.t.c. Incredible customer service.

Cheers Lyen!

I spent a little over two hours on the phone with sunnyday that day while using a remote desktop program (teamviewer). For some reason, some of the links sent by lyen were being claimed to be a zip file containing various things but the files were just .asv files, these .asv files contained default settings for the program to upload the settings for the controller. Downloading the correct file (zip file containing the programs) I started to make some progress. For whatever reason, the batch program used to move four .ocx files to a specific windows location wasn't working, if I remember correctly, at least one of the files wasn't in the unzipped folder so I had to search the web a bit to find that file, there was some other problem, I think the batch program simply failed to transfer another file or something. The program for programming the controller itself seemed to load up fine, but only once you started it in compatibility mode and ran it in administrator mode. There wasn't any instruction on doing this though.

For whatever reason, the comm program included also didn't work, I don't know if it simply wasn't compatible with the OS or the cable or what, I wasn't able to figure that out, but it didn't recognize the cable. I asked him to try different USB ports, but there was no success. I used a different comm program for the cable and it worked, that took a while to figure out. The only part I didn't do was the actual uploading the the settings to the controller (a 30 second operation at that point), I wasn't 100% sure which .asv file was the right one, I felt fairly confident as to which settings were right for him, but he didn't want to take a chance on my guess. Sunnyday then proceeded to make this thread. His original issue, the reason why he wanted to change the settings on his controller, I don't know if this was mentioned, was he needed a lower LVC cut off on the controller, he was pretty upset that he didn't get some very quick answers to his problems, obviously. I think a lot of people can gain tremendously from a little patience in many situations. In this case, the squeaky wheel got the oil. Sunnyday decided to badmouth lyen, kick and scream about how it takes a rocket scientist to make all this work(I suppose a reasonable conclusion, exaggerated but you get the idea), but in the end he got things spoon fed to him.

I don't have any business interaction with lyen, I've never bought anything from him. It's great that Lyren swooped in to help a customer deal with an issue, but the program stuff and instructions weren't really something easy to follow or even possible, in fact I'd go so far as to say much of it was simply broken. The only interaction that I've ever had with Lyen were demands to remove a link to his website I put on this forum, I found the link as one of the first or second links through a search engine. It seems puzzling to me that he is afraid of people finding information that he lists publicly on the web, I passed that information on to him, but it makes the conspiracy wheels in my mind turn.

The reason I was able to make the non-functioning things function or work is, simply put, I am a very computery kind of guy. I have done a lot of work on computers for people troubleshooting all kinds of issues relating to both software and hardware. Sunnyday is very far from a computer expert, so it seems understandable to me that he was incapable of programming the controller. Unless the instructions are extremely clear and simple, a lot of people will probably either fail or struggle with the instructions and stuff in the zip included.

Hi BoS,

You definitely went far beyond the call of duty here. However, I do have to admit some of the following issues:

The keywin program indeed only works if installed with the four .ocx files in the system32 directory of windows. In my case, even running the batch file (that copies the .ocx files from the archive into the system32 directly) in admin mode would not work, and I had to manually copy them there. My system gave me informative enough error messages to identify this problem.

I also had to install the USB-TTL drivers first. Never had a problem for this on XP of Win7.

Easy? No. However, I was able to dig out this information from ES and get running within 15 minutes.

hjns said:
Hi BoS,

You definitely went far beyond the call of duty here. However, I do have to admit some of the following issues:

The keywin program indeed only works if installed with the four .ocx files in the system32 directory of windows. In my case, even running the batch file (that copies the .ocx files from the archive into the system32 directly) in admin mode would not work, and I had to manually copy them there. My system gave me informative enough error messages to identify this problem.

I also had to install the USB-TTL drivers first. Never had a problem for this on XP of Win7.

Easy? No. However, I was able to dig out this information from ES and get running within 15 minutes.

It wasn't an extremely difficult problem, but for someone who isn't computer literate, the road to success with some of this stuff is pretty much impossible. Using something like an install wizard to get everything ready to go with a simple double click icon on the desktop to the controller programming program is really about as far as lots of people are capable of going without some extremely simple to follow multi step instructions. I think a lot of people who are even fairly computer literate may struggle a bit, 15 minutes isn't exactly double click install wizard next, next, accept, finish sort of time frame. A lot of the time, sifting through mountains of text and pages on a forum with keyword searches and ctrl+f as your only guiding light can be pretty time consuming at least. When sorting out those issues for him, I felt like I was dealing with a very alpha/beta or incomplete product. Maybe my expectations or standards are too high.

I was able to figure out how to make this work as it should, just as you were, but I'd be surprised if half of the people who used this programming program were able to complete the task without at least doing a series of searches on the web or this forum. When I say broken concerning the stuff I worked with on his computer, I mean incapable of being used without help or guidance after other people have troubleshot some problems. More explicit instructions, at least, were needed. A lot of questions that were very obviously needed to be asked had no readily found answers. If, by some chance, you didn't have access to the internet (lets pretend internet access was either intermittent, or very costly or something) and you wanted/needed to do some programming for the controller, it would be impossible without the internet the first time around. I am honestly surprised the program isn't sent on a CD with the controller. No internet probably sounds like an unlikely hypothetical anyway.

I actually agree with you. And I like the suggestion of burning the necessary programs onto a CD-ROM.

Lyen, you might want to get a couple of these very cheap USB sticks and put the program onto it for distribution with your controllers. And spending a bit more time on clearer guidance how to install the thing would probably save you (or BoS) a lot of time providing support.

Hard to install software is the major thing keeping people from using XPD. XPD has a complex setup due to using Python and needing support libraries. I have people asking me for copies of my hex edited parameter designer I've created all the time and each time I point them to it I also recommend they use XPD but at least 4 people have told me they tried and could not get it to work. XPD is far superior to Parameter Designer and easy to use, just hard to install for a non tech.

When you download the Program software Zip file from Lyen, create a new folder and name it Lyen. Go to C: and create a new folder and call it Lyen.

Once un-zipped, place all the .OCX files into that Lyen folder. Then run the Lyen software.

I would do a video, but I don't think Lyen wanted the URL's disclosed.

sacko said:
When you download the Program software Zip file from Lyen, create a new folder and name it Lyen. Go to C: and create a new folder and call it Lyen.

Once un-zipped, place all the .OCX files into that Lyen folder. Then run the Lyen software.

I would do a video, but I don't think Lyen wanted the URL's disclosed.

I don't mean any offense, but why exactly are you writing this? Anything you have written is already in his instructions, the problems are he didn't really elaborate with the instructions. To be honest, a lot of what I had to do shouldn't have been necessary for someone. I feel puzzled that someone would go through the effort of setting up all that was setup, but then muck it all up by making it a sort of enigma, difficult to solve or figure out.

Also, as I recall, although I had done precisely what you suggested, the batch program still seemed to fail with at least one of the files. However, writing out a how to for lyens controller program here seems a little silly and futile. Any and all instructions, anything that could be encountered or that would need a solution to should have been included on a CD that wasn't a zip but had a .exe that ran a wizard that accomplished all of these task. It isn't a very expensive or difficult thing. Why is this so important? Some people aren't all that good at doing internet stuff, they are even worse at computer stuff, and some may not even have consistent or cheap access to the internet. Many take for granted spending an hour or two (which is a frocking ridiculous amount of time to spend trying to troubleshoot an issue for a product you purchased) on the internet trying to ask questions, hopefully wait for a response on a forum (may take days or longer) or search things to death to figure out a solution(may take several hours or longer for some), this isn't an option for everyone.

Also, as I mentioned and experienced earlier, for reasons that escape me, although he has links to his website that are found via a search engine (they are public domain) he doesn't want them listed on this forum. To be honest, I think anyone who puts something onto a web server (even well secured) should expect that someone who you don't want to access those files will eventually access those files. Many banks and other kinds of corporations have learned this the hard way. This is why it is very important not to use the same password for every site. I am simply trying to illustrate the sillyness of demanding a link to someones website be removed if it can be viewed simply by visiting the website.

From the looks of it, keywin, lyen and cell_man all seem to use controller programming programs. Curious.

Where does it say that in the instructions?! That certainly isn't in mine. It states his in mine;

1. Download the program here and save it to a folder on your computer.

2. Open the folder and unzip the files to a new folder.

3. Open the program named Install.bat if you are running 32bit OS such as Windows XP or newer OS. For 64bit OS, select Run as administrator and click Install64.bat

4. The program will then register 4 files. Simply click �OK� 4 times, once for each file registration, and you should be ready to go.

The issue is that the install.bat files does not copy the 4 files to theSystem32 folder. Instead of running the install batch file, do the task manually, but put them on the C: in a new folder.

Back