Email notifications - possibly fixed - check my work

Yeah i know about it, we plan to push the fix next week.

Hmmmm....something else you might look into, unless I'm just being stupid again:

Anything with an X below is checked in the Preferences page of my UCP, the rest are not active. (Only the notification/email options are listed, the rest are removed for clarity)

But I am still getting emails for replies to content I didn't create (threads I didn't start), I only interacted with (posted to), such as this one
https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/t...ca-v3-what-are-sane-temperature-values.122461
https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/milan-sl-velomobile-conversion.122468/
Maybe it considers a post made to a thread to be creating content there so unless you just watch the thread it uses the "create" option and not the "interact" option? If so, that's kinda "broken". (I would expect/prefer an option that only sends emails for threads I started, so I'm not inundated with emails for every thread I post in).

Email options
Receive news and update emails
Receive activity summary email
We will keep you updated about new content when you haven't visited for a while.
X Receive email when a new conversation message is received
Content options
X Automatically watch content you create…
X and receive email notifications
X Automatically watch content you interact with…
and receive email notifications
Receive a notification when someone…
Posts in a watched forum
X Alert
Replies to a watched thread
X Alert
Quotes your message
X Alert
Mentions you in a message
X Alert
Reacts to your message
X Alert
Reacts to your message in a conversation
X Alert

I went ahead and turned off email for everyting except
X Receive email when a new conversation message is received
and I'm still getting emails for threads....?

I've turned that off, too, just to see what happens.

Now I only have the notifications/alerts (that should just be for the bell icon and this page https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/account/alerts ) turned on.

Nope, still getting thread notification emails sent *after* I made the above change. Wierd, since now all of the email notifications are turned off. :?

These options are about to change as we have a big upgrade coming and there's not much use explaining/tweaking the existing ones.

FWIW, the upgrade doesn't appear to be working correctly, unless gmail is just eating them before they even reach individuals (so whitelists/etc can't affect them). (but this wouldn't be the case for all the issue).

Last night after your announcement
I set my preferences for getting emails only for forum news and updates, and a summary email, and for conversation messages, and for content I created.

So far I haven't had a new PM to test that part, and haven't been away long enough to get a summary. I doubt there were any news emails sent out. But there *have* been posts to threads I started, and I got no emails for them.

I did however get one email for a thread I didn't create, just replied to at some point, however I have those emails turned off. (content I interacted with).

I have all of the alerts turned on, but all auto-reads off and the push notifications off (because I don't have a device setup in there for them to be sent to, as it notified me when I first opened this new page version).

(screencap below)
1705714481540.png 1705714516733.png

Dangit.
Luckily we installed an email log so we can at least diag the problem.

Back to the drawing board!

If the log shows what emails are actually being sent (so you don't have to rely on them making it to their destinations to see what was sent), that should help.

I know Gmail has been known to eat forum emails (or other mass-mailings) without even telling the recipients, doesn't even make it to the Spam folder (in webmail, not even using a client program, so just at Google's servers).

It's so sensitive to such things that all emails that *come from Gmail / Google* always end up in my spam folder, even though I have no rules in place about them. Some of them I don't even get at all, based on the wording of certain kinds of notifications that imply they're updates to previous ones.

There's another forum at Sekai no Hajimari -- A Haibane Renmei fan page I've been part of for longer than ES, and sometime in the last year or two (can't recall exactly) Gmail stopped delivering any of their notifications to me--the forum admin verified they're being sent out.... I have them whitelisted so if they were making it to me at all they'd be in my inbox, but they never even get that far. Nothing to be done about it, though--it's Google and they do whatever they feel like.

..interesting!

The new logs aren't great but they are a lot better than nothing.

Gmail has a new regulation saying only 0.3% of reported spam from a domain is allowable, otherwise they cut you off.
I have statistics on that server side and we are within spec on that.
I have the mail configuration also totally spic and span - other web systems i administer have zero issue.

I have a few more things i can try before i call the situation hosed and switch out our email provider 😅

Hey, that's awesome and this information helps me figure out what's going on.

Did you enable the suggested setting, or leave it be?

I changed a number of things in the email configuration to make mail providers like us more ^_^

Okay i turned on full blast on my side, going to a fastmail address ( my favorite provider ).
Fastmail has pretty lax email filtering.

I do notice multiple emails about topics i've not read notifications for.
It's as if i get 75% of what i expect.

The email log shows that all the notifications that should go to me aren't generated.

I will do another round of email tuning ( high hanging fruit ) to improve deliverability in a few weeks and then we need to look a little deeper into why 'full blast' doesn't live up to it's name

Thanks for the note..

Yeah.. mail delivery improved, but we apparently haven't fixed this buggy design in Xenforo because you're not the only one reporting that :(

Will circle back to this once we have some big tasks finally done.

Back