• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

MysteryDate: Who is BigFail?

jonathanm said:
Adrian - what do you mean, you think it's static? You only get a static IP if you ask for one and pay for it......

Another question - what do you use for your email? outlook? webmail?

TPG provides a static ip as part of the dsl plans. looked into using them
rather than iinet...

KiM

AussieJester said:
jonathanm said:
Adrian - what do you mean, you think it's static? You only get a static IP if you ask for one and pay for it......

Another question - what do you use for your email? outlook? webmail?

TPG provides a static ip as part of the dsl plans. looked into using them
rather than iinet...

KiM

Right, I just saw that myself......

So, if Adrian uses a desktop client for his email, like outlook, then his actual static home IP will always be in the header. So anyone he has sent an email to could find it and spoof his IP address.

50. :shock: WTF. I used to log in from work as well. I would have thought most of those are due o 3G dynamic addresses.

Not sure about static/dynamic formy home ADSL they no longer offer the plan I am on. When I first signed up you had dynamic be default and had to pay up for static. Now they are all static. Not sure for the plan I have. But when I rebooted the modem it stayed the same.

Email is mainly through the iPhone, but occassionally via the web interfaces for them. My main accounts are on TPG, and yahoo. But I also have a gmail account that I used at one stage.

- Adrian

And yes I am an iPhone addict. Happy to get a flaming for that. :D

- Adrian

Miles said:
AussieJester said:
Them be the ones from his mobile phone i presume ;)
So, he predominantly uses his mobile phone to post, then?

I have been using my phone for the last few days instead of the PC, works a treat except for
when i need to quote snippets and add/resize pics haha

KiM

p.s I use an ANDROID phone NOT i repeat NOT crApple's iFail Phone.. :p You should be Lynched just for admitting that Adrian bwahahaha :p j/k mate ;)

jonathanm said:
So, if Adrian uses a desktop client for his email, like outlook, then his actual static home IP will always be in the header. So anyone he has sent an email to could find it and spoof his IP address.

It doesn't look likely since the common IPs in question seem to be some weird anonymizer IP. Which I still don't understand why one of my post would have been from. :(
Miles said:
There are many TPG addresses.

Well I guess that answers the static/dynamic question about my home ADSL.

AussieJester said:
p.s I use an ANDROID phone NOT i repeat NOT crApple's iFail Phone.. :p You should be Lynched just for admitting that Adrian bwahahaha :p j/k mate ;)

Knew you would pick upon that one. :lol:

- Adrian.

adrian_sm said:
Unfortunately I am serious. After a lengthy PM discussion he is still convinced it is me.
He even checked IP addresses and Bigfails and mine apparently match. : (

Posting from work ? Don't you work with Mark AW ?

...just sayin... :idea:

ok, excuse my seemingly random columbo style questioning, lol.

It's just I had a conversation earlier today with another member about EXACTLY the subject of IP anonymizing, IP spoofing and getting a person's IP address from email headers.

This member also has a tendency for outbursts and thinking there is a clique conspiracy.

But I just PM'd Adrian and he has never emailed this person, so that's the end of that one, lol.

ALSO, is this Brit / Aussie think hinging whole on the arse comment ? Because I think whoever came up with that has it wrong. Or, arse about, if you'll pardon the pun :lol:

From the original posts, bigfail actually uses the term asshole first - being the US type spelling.
When bigfail said arsed he was quoting a reply to jonescg, who IS Aussie, and used that spelling in his post.

ie.

Bigfail said:
Never had a chance to explain himself - so you are the Asshole.

Bigfail said:
jonescg said:
We're doing it cause we can't be arsed waiting for others to do it for us.
You can't be arsed waiting for others to push electrification of personal transport, yet someone put their hand up to do just that.

Perhaps a little plot twist for the game, and given the supposedly wrong fingering (*giggles*) of Adrian based on his non-unique IP that throws it back open to being anyone.

And in this case do the mods REALLY know conclusively who's double account it is ? (nice bluff on methods' part if he didn't know that up front, though I suspect he genuinely thought it was Adrian) Or could we be guessing until the cows come home ?
Join the discussion Bigfail, give us some more clues :p

Hyena said:
Mark AW ?

...just sayin...
Nah, he writes differently.

With lots

of

spaces

Wasn't me either. Didn't even know what 'clique' is :oops:

PS how do you work out the IP address of a post? Or is it something only visible to the mods??

haha yes, presumably he has been banned......

MODS! UNBAN BIGFAIL!!!!

"I don't know you from a bar of soap" - that's aussie, right? I've never heard a brit say it.....

"weak as" - is that said in OZ? It is a bit in the UK, but not much.....

yes, methods checked the IP - mods can see them - that's what kicked off this little miss marple mystery, lol

Hyena said:
ALSO, is this Brit / Aussie think hinging whole on the arse comment ? Because I think whoever came up with that has it wrong. Or, arse about, if you'll pardon the pun :lol:

From the original posts, bigfail actually uses the term asshole first - being the US type spelling.
When bigfail said arsed he was quoting a reply to jonescg, who IS Aussie, and used that spelling in his post.

ie.

Bigfail said:
Never had a chance to explain himself - so you are the Asshole.

Bigfail said:
jonescg said:
We're doing it cause we can't be arsed waiting for others to do it for us.
You can't be arsed waiting for others to push electrification of personal transport, yet someone put their hand up to do just that.

Perhaps a little plot twist for the game, and given the supposedly wrong fingering (*giggles*) of Adrian based on his non-unique IP that throws it back open to being anyone.

And in this case do the mods REALLY know conclusively who's double account it is ? (nice bluff on methods' part if he didn't know that up front, though I suspect he genuinely thought it was Adrian) Or could we be guessing until the cows come home ?
Good detective observation & paying attention...

Probably the IPs used (50?), if the same as Adrian once, was used may put the finger on your region of the world maybe? What about the other 49IPs? Does the number system do a region... hey, you can plug-in the IP address & it will put a dot on the map where 'that' is from. :idea: With 50 IPs, then one might be able to peg this with these odds. :p :shock: 8)

OK, I am going to throw one out there. We have been talking about how to raise money to make ES financially independant....

I am trying to remember the Australian bogan (was it Leytwon Hewitt?), who to crassly make money, when they had a baby, you could SMS (ie for like $5 or something) and find out what they named their baby. Made a pretty penny apparantly.

Maybe we could have a similar thing with the identity of Bigfail....

I am of course kidding, I don't even care if Adrian_SM were Bigfail, it wouldn't make me think any less of him. Bigfail didn't even say anything particularly offensive to me (although those being accused of "cliquery" might feel different, but then again what's wrong with being in a clique anyway?). I think people were just a bit keyed up, and I love a good old mob as much as the next man....

To be honest I have just found this game fun from the game perspective, we could be guessing how many beans are in a jar and I would probably still be here throwing out numbers... It;s like when I sit through the final batch of ads to watch the ending of a crap crime show, and then I am dissapointed that the scripted ending is pat and predictable. I always fall for it. I'm like a shaved monkey with a finger trap - he'll I don't even shave that much.

Hyena said:
Join the discussion Bigfail, give us some more clues :p
Now that's funny.

I'm pretty sure with an IP address you can only find the location of the ISP's rack install in the local area (or telephone exchange for most of Australia). So in some areas there could be thousands of people with the same IP address if they have a dynamic ISP account. Also I've found searching most Telstra IP addresses will have you end up arsed in the middle of a South Australian desert.

Back