Name this part... Please

dfar

1 W
recently I was trying to carry out a "zombie's" controller mod of my lyen 18fet when I accidentally broke off one of the components. I don't know what it is called which make sourcing a new one difficult.

any help?

HPIM0540.JPG
View attachment 2
HPIM0542.JPG

It looks like a capacitor to me. If you see any specs on it like 100uF then you know it's definitely a cap. See anything like that?

Thats an inductor, for the switchmode power supply on the front end.

If you cut off the heatshrink, you will find that it is a coil of wire wrapped around a ferrite slug. You may be able to epoxy some legs onto it and solder the remnants of the leads to them, and resolder it to the board, otherwise, get a multimeter with an inductance measurement (an electronics shop should be able to identify and sell you a replacement - its a common part).

Failing that, cut off the heatshrink unwind it, and rewind it. Its not rocket science. You need to scrape the enamel off the wires when you try to solder it, and glue it to the PCB when you fix it :)

heathyoung said:
Thats an inductor, for the switchmode power supply on the front end.

If you cut off the heatshrink, you will find that it is a coil of wire wrapped around a ferrite slug. You may be able to epoxy some legs onto it and solder the remnants of the leads to them, and resolder it to the board, otherwise, get a multimeter with an inductance measurement (an electronics shop should be able to identify and sell you a replacement - its a common part).

Failing that, cut off the heatshrink unwind it, and rewind it. Its not rocket science. You need to scrape the enamel off the wires when you try to solder it, and glue it to the PCB when you fix it :)

Thank you, I removed the plastic coating and it looks exactly as you described. I will try and resolder the coil/legs

Thanks again for the help

Indeed. If it says "101" then it is a 100uH inductor (10 with 1 zero). But looking at the piccies I see no marking except the brand of heat shrink ("FENG"). In any case the actual value is not very important. It's used as energy storage, and a smaller value will store energy just fine. Just a bit less so the controller has to work a bit harder.

Regenpak said:
In any case the actual value is not very important. It's used as energy storage, and a smaller value will store energy just fine. Just a bit less so the controller has to work a bit harder.

Hmmm........ Not sure I'd agree there. This inductor will almost certainly be a part of the low voltage switched mode regulator used to supply the FET gate drive circuit. That regulator will have been designed to work over a wide input voltage range, maybe from 24V to perhaps 100V. This is already a fairly wide duty cycle range for the SMPS, so it's unlikely there would be "spare" range under some input conditions and output current demands to be able to get away with using the next preferred value down (or up, for that matter).

I'm not saying the value is super critical, but in this case it probably has to be within around 10% of the original value to guarantee operation over the full input voltage and output load range, just because there will be a finite limit on the SMPS duty cycle range with the simple switching design these things use.

Thanks for the help

Lyen contacted me and is sending me one :)

Thanks Lyen!!

Back