Need guidance on what motor to get

Revbikes

10 mW
Hello everyone! First time poster here. I have never built an ebike before and I have been looking to convert my old bike that I haven't used for a while into an electric bike. I was primarily looking at the Bafang BBS02 mid drive motor from lunacycle. With the motor and the battery (48v 11.5ah Panasonic cells) it comes down to about $1,100. I had been researching about the BBS02, it's benefits and drawbacks.

But I wanted to get some second thoughts from everyone else who has experience with this.

What I'm looking for:
Desired max speed on level ground: 20mph (Legal speed limit)
Desired max range: 52 miles going at 15-20mph. (I will be using this to commute to and from work. It will be 26 miles to get there and I can charge it while I'm there but if possible I'd like it to be round trip but no big deal)
Preferred bike: Since I am converting my old bike which is a Raleigh Detour 3.5 (I don't know what year model and it's been hard to find any specifics online) the wheels are 700c I believe.
Brake type: I would prefer disc brakes but for now I will keep it as a normal V brakes.
Rider weight: ~162 lbs.
Terrain: Mostly flat, urban environment, city commuting with some small hills here and there.
Budget: For right now it will be $1100 or less. Can upgrade smaller parts in the future.

Extra info:

I do currently own a factory built ebike right now. The one I have is the http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cyclamati...-Mountain-Bike-Lithium-Battery-Black/44664817 The reasons I am wanting to upgrade is for several reasons.
1.) The ebike I currently own seems slightly underpowered.
2.) I would like to build my own ebike for the fun and learning experience.
3.) With the BBS02 I think I can reduce the overall weight of the bike.
4.) Changing flats will be MUCH easier if I go with the BBS02 compared to the rear hub on my current one.
5.) UI systems are much nicer than current one. (Battery indicator, UI display, etc.)
6.) Current ebike is a little longer than I would like it to be and doesn't fit me quite comfortable as compared to my normal bike that I plan on converting.
7.) Current bike on throttle only can only go about 14-16 miles before battery dying. I would like something that can go longer and have it easy to find a replacement or spare if needed. (Current ebike's battery is difficult to find from a reputable seller)

Some concerns I have with converting my own ebike:
1.) Not TOO sure if battery pack will fit my frame. I'm like 80% sure it can fit if I use a different type of battery packs offered at Lunacycle (i.e. Shark battery, Dolphin battery, Bottle battery, etc)
2.) It has been a while since I've use my old bike, never has been FULLY tuned up from a bike shop. But I might take it prior to converting to have a overhaul done to it at my local bike shop.
3.) Not 100% sure if bottom bracket is compatible with the BBS02.
4.) Couldn't find any information as to whether or not the connections to the battery and motor are waterproof and plug&play? Or if I would require soldering skills and all that.

Pictures of by bike that I plan on converting:
http://imgur.com/a/BrU9D Would love to know if anybody can tell me if any of the batteries (Shark, dolphin, bottle) will fit here? I tried to measure it on paper but I didn't know at what angle the Shark and dolphin packs were curving at.

My choice has come down to the Bafang BBS02 750W with a 48V 11.5ah Panasonic Shark or Bottle battery from lunacycle.com. But would love to know any feedback on if there are other, better, solutions?

Thank you all in advanced for helping me!

Welcome to the forum.

The BBS02 should fit that frame, though you can double check by measuring how wide the frame is at the bottom bracket. Ideally it should be 68mm, but the BBS02 can fit some of the 72mm wide frames

The battery you picked doesn't have a whole lot more capacity than what you had in your previous bike, but the motor will is more powerful. If you got 14-16 miles before, you might get 18-20 trying to ride the same way.

Generally we say you need 36 watt hours per mile at 20mph of battery capacity to reach a minimum distance 100% of the time. So to make sure you always get the 26 miles to work, you need a 48 volt 19.5 amp hour battery. If you wanted to make the full 52 miles, you would need to double that battery size.
There would be days you could go further, and if you slowed down a lot, you could go much further. But it's best to plan for the minimum range you must go, rather than the maximum you want to go.

I don't think the Lunacycle triangle battery will fit that frame. I don't think that triangle is big enough to hold the minimum sized battery you'll need. You'll need another mounting location.

Drunkskunk said:
Welcome to the forum.

The BBS02 should fit that frame, though you can double check by measuring how wide the frame is at the bottom bracket. Ideally it should be 68mm, but the BBS02 can fit some of the 72mm wide frames

The battery you picked doesn't have a whole lot more capacity than what you had in your previous bike, but the motor will is more powerful. If you got 14-16 miles before, you might get 18-20 trying to ride the same way.

Generally we say you need 36 watt hours per mile at 20mph of battery capacity to reach a minimum distance 100% of the time. So to make sure you always get the 26 miles to work, you need a 48 volt 19.5 amp hour battery. If you wanted to make the full 52 miles, you would need to double that battery size.
There would be days you could go further, and if you slowed down a lot, you could go much further. But it's best to plan for the minimum range you must go, rather than the maximum you want to go.

I don't think the Lunacycle triangle battery will fit that frame. I don't think that triangle is big enough to hold the minimum sized battery you'll need. You'll need another mounting location.

I see. I suppose my minimum needed miles would be 15-20 miles if I pedaled the rest. And to make it clear, would you know if pedaling with the bbs02 installed would feel like it wasn't there? Or is there any kind of drag? I will be getting either the shark or bottle battery pack from lunacycle so it should fit my frame correct?

no built in drag with the mid drive motors like the BB.

Your bike will work with a bafang mid drive. You have a typical bottom bracket. The tight frame will make carrying a battery in the triangle difficult. Rear rack carry is not ideal, but 48v 20 ah, a huge battery, is only 16 pounds these days. 48v 15 ah will have enough range for your distance.

To increase the range, you will need a large battery, or carry two smaller (10 ah) ones.

To get plug and play battery, you almost have to buy the battery and motor as a complete kit. But putting a compatible connector on the battery is not really very hard. Some kits will come with a controller to battery wire that includes a plug. Then you just attach the other end with the plug to the battery, which you can do without soldering if you want to. then you have a water proof plug that matches your kit on the battery.

dogman dan said:

Your bike will work with a bafang mid drive. You have a typical bottom bracket. The tight frame will make carrying a battery in the triangle difficult. Rear rack carry is not ideal, but 48v 20 ah, a huge battery, is only 16 pounds these days. 48v 15 ah will have enough range for your distance.

To increase the range, you will need a large battery, or carry two smaller (10 ah) ones.

To get plug and play battery, you almost have to buy the battery and motor as a complete kit. But putting a compatible connector on the battery is not really very hard. Some kits will come with a controller to battery wire that includes a plug. Then you just attach the other end with the plug to the battery, which you can do without soldering if you want to. then you have a water proof plug that matches your kit on the battery.

For the battery I am planning on buying this one: http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/48v/48v-panasonic-11-5ah-13-5ah-shark-pack-with-charger/ I measured it as best as I could and I think it will fit. It should right?

As for the connection I have been suggested to use these: http://lunacycle.com/batteries/connectors/xt90-s-connector-set-with-pigtails/
I will just use some waterproof butt splice, crimp them in and then put a heat shrink tube over it. Which should do the trick...?

Hi guy!
1.) Not TOO sure if battery pack will fit my frame. I'm like 80% sure it can fit if I use a different type of battery packs offered at Lunacycle (i.e. Shark battery, Dolphin battery, Bottle battery, etc)
They have excellent picture and measuremnts on there. Make a cardboard template and know for sure!
2.) It has been a while since I've use my old bike, never has been FULLY tuned up from a bike shop. But I might take it prior to converting to have a overhaul done to it at my local bike shop.
Your brakes and gearing need to be in good working order (and tires)
Like skunk said, 68 or 73mm shell width will work. You'll want crank puller and bb socket (cheapies)
4.) Couldn't find any information as to whether or not the connections to the battery and motor are waterproof and plug&play? Or if I would require soldering skills and all that.
You mention buttsplices. I test rode mine with wirenuts, so I don't see why not. If they get hot they're causing more resistance than necessary. Soldering is really easy though- Vids on youtube. Also vids for bottom bracket service and tools!

I'd guess you might get 30 miles of all motor at those speeds and without too many hills (on 11ah batt). I'd spend the extra 40$ for extra 3ah capacity so you don't have to pedal as much if you don't want to.

nutspecial said:
Hi guy!
They have excellent picture and measuremnts on there. Make a cardboard template and know for sure!
Your brakes and gearing need to be in good working order (and tires)
Like skunk said, 68 or 73mm shell width will work. You'll want crank puller and bb socket (cheapies)
You mention buttsplices. I test rode mine with wirenuts, so I don't see why not. If they get hot they're causing more resistance than necessary. Soldering is really easy though- Vids on youtube. Also vids for bottom bracket service and tools!

I'd guess you might get 30 miles of all motor at those speeds and without too many hills (on 11ah batt). I'd spend the extra 40$ for extra 3ah capacity so you don't have to pedal as much if you don't want to.

Thank you for that! Would it be better if I do the water proof butt splice to connect the battery/motor to a XT90-S connector set with pigtails ? Or should I solder the XT90-S connector with the battery? I prefer doing the butt splice for simplicity and also so that I don't buy more things than I already have.

dogman dan said:
I just started to install a BBSHD. When I turn the cranks forward by hand I can feel a lot of resistance. Is this typical? Will it start to fade as the motor breaks in?

Back