Need ideas for upgrading from a pedal-assist to a pedal-assist + torque assist.

You don't have to use the CA to get torque sensor functionality with the BR; it directly supports them according to the BR page:
6 Pin HiGo Plug for PAS / Torque Sensors6 Pin PAS / Torque
A 6 Pin HiGo Mini-B or equivalent waterproof plug allows for direct hookup of a PAS or Torque sensor to the motor controller. The pin standard is compatible with the ERider torque sensors, and uses 12V rather than 5V for the power supply. This cable is not used or required when PAS or torque assist is handle via a Cycle Analyst, but it will provides a future option for using the native PAS feature of the controller without a CA device attached.

Once they release the Main9 Superharness kits they emailed about back in December, you can use 3rd party displays on the BR, including various "colorful" ones. Dunno when that will be as there wasn't a date in the email, and nothing on their blog about it yet.
View attachment 347217 View attachment 347218

If for any reason you want the other CA functionality, you don't have to put it on the handlebars--it can go wherever you want it, in a bag, battery box, etc. If you need to change settings on it (presets, assist levels, etc) you can use remote buttons or knobs to do this; see the CA pages on their site, and the CA accessories in their shop for options. (you can also build your own controls to connect to the CA based on the info in the manual).
Thanks! - this is good info, I'm still in the planning stages and will watch out for that new harness.

The "advantage" is that you pay three times the price for the same functionality and an outdated ugly display :)
I agree it's not pretty. It fits right in on my bike, since it's not pretty either. It looks, and is, purpose-built though; both the CA and bike, so appealing to engineers and the like.

I agree it's not pretty. It fits right in on my bike, since it's not pretty either. It looks, and is, purpose-built though; both the CA and bike, so appealing to engineers and the like.
Well- that's a good point. My bike isn't pretty either! 1997 Gary Fisher, with a lot of miles on it. But I still love it.

Sometimes the less modern something looks, the less of a theft magnet it might be. ;)

There's at least one project on here to make a phone/tablet app to take the CA's realtime streaming data output from it's serial port and display it as a "pretty" dashboard. Don't know how far any of them got, but might be worth a look to see if they're either done, or have code/etc available to finish or base something new on.

I think there is also a beta app from Grin for a PR/BR dashboard? Couldn't find it in a quick poke around though. I might be conflating it with the PR setup app.

Is there something else I should be considering?
Like discussed before, there is an open source firmware for both, Kunteng and Lishui, that can be configured by the user in any detail. Kunteng is outdated and not longer maintained, the Lishui project is alive. A set of controller, display and BB torque sensor is available at Phoebe Liu EV Parts. You can buy the single components elsewhere too, of course.
You can use a ASIBac controller (same as Base/Phaserunner) also, it has basic commercial display and torquesensor support, but the setup via the BACdoor software is not self-explanatory at all :eek:
Bafang has a system for hub motors with BB torque sensors also, but I don't know if it is available for private persons. I think they sell it to OEMs only.
In former times it was sold by Eunorau.

Grin posted in their blog about the Superharness, finally,
and also added the manual for it
but they don't appear to actually be selling it outside of full-system kits, which is disappointing. Probably for support reasons, since it seems likely to require custom setup of whatever controller is being used with it to work with the various functions, especially displays, and that's probably not something an end-user can do by-guess-and-by-gosh.

Attachments

• Superharness_Manual_P3.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
but they don't appear to actually be selling it outside of full-system kits, which is disappointing. Probably for support reasons, since it seems likely to require custom setup of whatever controller is being used with it to work with the various functions
Main9 Superharness

Doesn't it only work with the phaserunner/baserunner controllers though?

Thanks for finding that--I looked in every category they have, and the only thing I could find was the kits with it. I've had that problem with quite a few products over the years, mostly trying to find links for people here that needed one. They really need to make stuff easier to find on their site, and add everything to the categories properly. :/

It is designed specifically for the PR/BR, but some of it's functions would with the the old Grinfineon (wouldn't show you much on the display, but the braking/throttle would work). The ASI BAC controllers share firmware with the *runners AFAIK, so they should also work.

Controllers like VESC that have programmable throttle ranges should also work with it for these functions, though I am not sure if they can be made to respond to the braking functions without some custom recoding (but it would be possible). If the VESC supports the KM5 display protocol (or can be made to via custom coding) then the display stuff would work too.

Exactly how complex any of this is...I don't know. :)

Back