need more power on hills with GIO PB 710

kermeifw

1 mW
Bought an used GIO PB 710 for my daughter, she really likes it and is happy with it's speed but we live in a hilly area and I'd like to give it more power to get up some of the hills (she is barely crawling at by the top and one she can't even make up). I've searched google and found stuff about adding a battery or a controller. Which should I do and will it harm the motor?

Link to the thing always helps.

It will run on 60V nominal. I'd replace the 48V sla batteries with 14-16s lipo. You'd get both more speed and a lot more power since there would be minimal voltage sag with lipo. You could also mod the controller to get more amperage.

wesnewell said:
It will run on 60V nominal. I'd replace the 48V sla batteries with 14-16s lipo[youtube][/youtube].
You would let you daughter dealing with RC Lipo ?

Most GIO PB 710 have a Li battery but they are set to very low power. Replace (or mod) the controller to take full advantage of the battery capability, that should be enough to make it a much better climber.
Here is one that is a match:
http://www.mr-scooterboost.com/17A-...10-SCOOTER-CONTROLLER-17ATORQUECONTROLLER.htm

If you replace the battery: higher voltage will result in higher speed. If you are happy with the speed but need higher power, the battery should be the same voltage but capable of a higher Amp draw.

MadRhino said:
You would let you daughter dealing with RC Lipo ?
Sure, she's almost 50. I wouldn't let a young kid have any kind of scooter.

thanks everyone for your input, I have ordered the new controller and hopefully that will give her the extra power she needs to get over the hills. I've been looking into the batteries too so that she doesn't run out of juice (I'm told the new controller will suck the battery faster, which makes sense). I've found 12V 20Ah batteries but they aren't the same dimensions as the 12V 12Ah ones that are in the scooter now so they won't fit into the battery case. Is there such a thing as the higher amp battery that is the same dimensions of the lower amp one?

Replace the SLA batteries with lithium. Any lithium will be smaller and lighter, Just make sure the pack you get is rated for the max amperage of the controller you get. IIRC, the original controller is 20A max. You could jut replace the 4 sla batteries with a higher voltage lithium battery and get up to 50% more power and speed and double the range.

Back