Need more speed

YonathanZ

10 mW
Hi,

My 36v 250w bike does 31.8 kph, and slightly more downhill or with the help of some tail wind.
Anyway, this makes it difficult to drive in the city because drivers always stick close to me or try to pass me or whatever. Anyway, it's dangerous.

Can I get more speed (another 10 kmph will make a huge difference) without replacing the 36v battery I have?

YonathanZ said:
Hi,

My 36v 250w bike does 31.8 kph, and slightly more downhill or with the help of some tail wind.
Anyway, this makes it difficult to drive in the city because drivers always stick close to me or try to pass me or whatever. Anyway, it's dangerous.

Can I get more speed (another 10 kmph will make a huge difference) without replacing the 36v battery I have?

Yes, put the bike in the highest gear possible , and pedal along when you apply the throttle.

36v battery ? It depends on the cells in the battery and it's bms. So tell us something about this battery. A123 or generic Chinese cells. This is where the power comes from.
Some controllers have two wires with a adjustable screw for more amps. So more info and pics.

I do pedal along at the highest gear and it barely adds another kmph. That's 8 gears btw.

As for the battery, the retailer who sold me the ebike says its a Panasonic.

It's a rear hub motor. I might consider changing to a 500w 36v motor if it would allow a noticeable increase in speed. Would it?

YonathanZ said:
It's a rear hub motor. I might consider changing to a 500w 36v motor if it would allow a noticeable increase in speed. Would it?
Yes. No. It depends. Some should be capable of >40kph on a 36 volt battery, but only if the battery can handle 20 amps output. Many batteries that come with 250 watt kits can't put out that much.

Is there a way to find out if my battery can put out 20 amps without buying and trying a 500w motor?

I agree with the others, you are close to your limit for 36v with that motor.

Typical ebike motors are designed to go about 30kph maximum on 36v. This is sort of built into the choice of the motor itself. More power, at 36v might get you a few more mph, and much faster take off, but not a lot more speed.

So for about 8kph more speed, a 48v battery should do it. It might take a new controller, but many 36v kits can run 48v. Some won't, some will just fail to power up.

For a real upgrade, you might be best off to start over. Costly, but an entire new setup designed run on 1000w( or more, ignoring legality) might be your only answer to keeping up with traffic.

The BEST solution might be working hard on finding a better route to ride, if possible. That you might be able to do at no cost. The long way can be no problem with an ebike. When I was still commuting by ebike, it took more than a year to arrive at my final, safest, best route to work and back.

If it's a Panadonic battery, it can probably go up to 20 amps.. You can get a bit more hill-climbing speed and speed into the wind by adding a bit of solder to the shunt in your controller, but your best solution for more speeed is 12S lipos for a battery, which will give approximately 20% more speed and torque. A pair of Hobbyking Multistar 6S packs should do it. You just have to find a place to put them.

Back