New Build - Specialized enduro expert

Ch00paKabrA

10 kW
Hi all, I just wanted to share my latest build. It is actually for my brother and I just finished it and took for its maiden voyage and I love it. Here is the skinny. He wanted an electric bike but he already had a really good bike that we use in the parks and he did not want to buy another bike.

Criteria: Build a bike that can convert from electric to pedal only and vice versa in a matter of minutes.

Here is what I came up with:

enduro pk1.jpg

In the under seat bag is a 12ah battery consisting of 40 Samsung 18650 29E cells 4p 10s and the controller. the motor is a 36v 250w bafang clone that I have used on other bikes but this is now its home since I no longer own it. It is laced into a 24" rim with an Arrow Racing Wide Bite 24 x 3.0 rear tire that I found on ebay for $25.00 brand new. I tried using a 9 speed freewheel but it just didn't work so this has a 7 speed freewheel. I did set it up so it shifts smoothly with one exception where you have to click it twice to get to the next gear. It works though.

I charged up the battery to 40.9 volts and set off on the bike's maiden adventure. I rode 4.5 miles to where the above picture was taken. This is a park that is closest to my house. The picture was taken at the entrance of the trail that I then rode the bike around once.

hidden creek 1.jpg

It is a 2.4 mile trail of moderate difficulty (for hikers; not bikers). I then rode home another 4.5 miles and passed my house and rode 1 mile to the beach:

enduro bch2.jpg

Then I rode 2 miles down the board walk, 2 miles back and another mile back to my home for a total of more than 17 miles. I broke out the volt meter and the battery was at 35.5v.

This is definitely not a motorcycle. pedaling is necessary but it sure does flatten out the hills. On one occasion riding back from the park up a steep long hill, It cut out on me just as I came to the top. I thought the battery was dead and that I was not getting much in the way of distance out of them. After a few minutes of pedaling, I tested the throttle and it was working again and I had no further issues. I forgot to check to see if the controller or batteries got hot. The rest of the trip the batteries and controller never even got warm.

I actually love this set-up. These batteries are awesome. I am going to try to find a larger under seat bag and talk him into another 10 cells though.

To change the Ebike back to a regular Enduro bike, there are only a few steps:

1. Loosen 2 Allen key bolts and remove the half grip and throttle (I just used a few small pieces of gorilla tape to route the wires) and install the stock clamp on grip and tighten the single Allen key bolt.

2. Unplug the 9 pin cable separating the controller from the motor and remove the straps securing the under-seat bag. Set this (along with the throttle) aside.

3. Remove the wheel and replace it with the stock wheel.

It takes about 15 minutes to convert each way.

Now, I am thinking of a similar setup for one of my full suspension bikes.

Overall, I am very happy with the result.

Back