New Crystalyte Motor series (HT35 / HS35 and HT24 / HS24)

I dont know alot of stuff but is that coated magnet wire or solid copper? And arent the stator lams supposed to have atleast a thin paper protector inside the teeth holes. And are you not concerned about the coated magnet wire laying all commando style and unprotected on the corners of the naked stator teeth. And are you actually relying on that thin plastic film to protect the wire from the sharp edges of the stator teeth. I melted that ish off after the 3rd ride. Im sure this is a mock up to have proof of concept.

icecube57 said:
I dont know alot of stuff but is that coated magnet wire or solid copper? And arent the stator lams supposed to have atleast a thin paper protector inside the teeth holes. And are you not concerned about the coated magnet wire laying all commando style and unprotected on the corners of the naked stator teeth. And are you actually relying on that thin plastic film to protect the wire from the sharp edges of the stator teeth. I melted that ish off after the 3rd ride. Im sure this is a mock up to have proof of concept.

It is enameled wire, and the pic is just and only just a fitment test to see what I can get on there.
If you were a magician, 8 turns could exist. I did some test winds, and found 7 turns is going to be extremely hard to do on its own.

The test fits let you see what the fill reality looks like, and how it will change the motors characteristics before you wind it.

In my case, unless I parallel some winding cluster groups, its going to slow the motor down a bit, but the 50% higher copper fill will enable something like 50% higher continuous stall torque, and then assist in some amount below 50% once its spinning. Also, that added torque isn't a free lunch, you have to provide more current if you want it, but for my application of trying to get the motor to survive the death race, its worth the time to me.

Also, I made a slick set of soft-jaws for my vise just for this project.

Time-wise, it was roughly 15mins a tooth for my tester winds. That means this is going to take a boatload of time to do all 51 teeth. Hopefully as technique improves, it will get below 10mins a tooth.

keyne said:
For those people interested in the rewind process I found this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3DWhAq_X8 it gives you the general idea :D

That is our member "Karma". He is a member here who has done the most hubmotor re-winds of anyone on the board as far as I know. Really cool skilled guy. I think he said it took him something like 10hours to re-wind a hub?

Even though I've got 40lbs of 200c 14awg, it's so damn stiff, and SOOO much more work to wind than an RC motor (this is like winding 5 big outrunners), I'm thinking about seeing the sort of fill I can get from a smaller gauge of wire. I have about 3lbs of 18awg (but i think it's low temp insulation), but I'm going to do some test-tooth-wraps with perhaps 3 or 4 strands in parallel and see what sort of fill I can get, and try to access the difference in winding difficulty.

Winding motors by hand with heavy gauge wire is similar to a form of torture for fingers. I have huge roughed up and calloused mechanic hands that seldom every get sore or hurt. Just doing a handful of test wrap patterns with 14awg last night has made my hands pretty tender today. I think it's going to take some good gloves, and perhaps making some custom plastic tools for performing various operations that are hell on the fingers.

I can 100% understand why most all mass production hubmotors and RC motors are most commonly wrapped with bundles of fine stranded wire. To do otherwise would mean crippling the hands of the workers wrapping them, and likely double or triple the time it takes to wind per motor.

liveforphysics said:
keyne said:
For those people interested in the rewind process I found this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3DWhAq_X8 it gives you the general idea :D

That is our member "Karma". He is a member here who has done the most hubmotor re-winds of anyone on the board as far as I know. Really cool skilled guy. I think he said it took him something like 10hours to re-wind a hub?

Even though I've got 40lbs of 200c 14awg, it's so damn stiff, and SOOO much more work to wind than an RC motor (this is like winding 5 big outrunners), I'm thinking about seeing the sort of fill I can get from a smaller gauge of wire. I have about 3lbs of 18awg (but i think it's low temp insulation), but I'm going to do some test-tooth-wraps with perhaps 3 or 4 strands in parallel and see what sort of fill I can get, and try to access the difference in winding difficulty.

Winding motors by hand with heavy gauge wire is similar to a form of torture for fingers. I have huge roughed up and calloused mechanic hands that seldom every get sore or hurt. Just doing a handful of test wrap patterns with 14awg last night has made my hands pretty tender today. I think it's going to take some good gloves, and perhaps making some custom plastic tools for performing various operations that are hell on the fingers.

I can 100% understand why most all mass production hubmotors and RC motors are most commonly wrapped with bundles of fine stranded wire. To do otherwise would mean crippling the hands of the workers wrapping them, and likely double or triple the time it takes to wind per motor.

How about stacking 2 stators and a few fewer turns to make the pain truly worthwhile?

John

That's a damn good idea John. If the damn race wasn't in 2 weeks I would be all over it. As is, the timeline is very tight.

liveforphysics said:
That's a damn good idea John. If the damn race wasn't in 2 weeks I would be all over it. As is, the timeline is very tight.

Hope someone is gonna record that race again this year... loved the last one (think it was dogman that recorded it) and would like to see what you guys can get out of this motor as im really tempted to buy one myself even though it may well shorten my life expectancy considerably :)

got my hs35 today :) pics to follow

liveforphysics said:

Good luck on the rewind. You gonna put a blower too? We can't wait to see the end result. I hope all goes well, because I moved you to the overwhelming Death Race favorite as soon as they announced that the racing was moved to night time. Does your x-ray night vision still give you a benefit with lights, or do you need a power failure to get an advantage? I still can't get over how well you can see at night, because for me that night riding near the house was insane even with the halogen on my bike.

I love Endless-Sphere forum.
Brand new motor, latest, greatest turns up at your door. Do you put it in your bike and be merry? Hell No! Straight to the chopping block, hack it, slash it, mill it, drill it, until it is what it could be. Then put it on your bike. But do you run it with that pay pal ordered stock controller? Hell NO! You got to beef up those traces till you can drive a truck through, rip half the components off the board and replace them with with something that could switch a small town on, then reprogram the program with lies, do a shifty on the shunt until that little brain operating the on off switch is so confused that it lets the current flow like money from Bernanke's printing presses. Hook up a couple of deep cycle gel cells and your done? Hell No! Strap at least 24 nano explosive devices to your whispering death machine, charge to an inch of their life, then prepare to suck them dry at such a rate that the electrons get carpet burn on the way out! Strap all this to your bike with duck tape, make sure it minus 200 outside, hook up your proof of insanity helmet cam, prey to the gods of speed and then, and only then when time and space warp around you as the flux rolls can you be content in the knowledge of what could be, not what has been.

Carpe diem.

Kiwi said:
Brand new motor, latest, greatest turns up at your door. Do you put it in your bike and be merry? Hell No! Straight to the chopping block, hack it, slash it, mill it, drill it, until it is what it could be. Then put it on your bike. But do you run it with that pay pal ordered stock controller? Hell NO! You got to beef up those traces till you can drive a truck through, rip half the components off the board and replace them with with something that could switch a small town on, then reprogram the program with lies, do a shifty on the shunt until that little brain operating the on off switch is so confused that it lets the current flow like money from Bernanke's printing presses. Hook up a couple of deep cycle gel cells and your done? Hell No! Strap at least 24 nano explosive devices to your whispering death machine, charge to an inch of their life, then prepare to suck them dry at such a rate that the electrons get carpet burn on the way out! Strap all this to your bike with duck tape, make sure it minus 200 outside, hook up your proof of insanity helmet cam, prey to the gods of speed and then, and only then when time and space warp around you as the flux rolls can you be content in the knowledge of what could be, not what has been.

Carpe diem.

That my friend, is the definition of a hobby!!!
I want to see fire coming from these motors soon!!! :twisted:

Kiwi said:

Carpe diem.

That was one of the best posts I've seen, anywhere on any forum.

You're a poet, and you captured the spirit of ES hotrodders in a paragraph. Nicely done.

-Luke

John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:

Good luck on the rewind. You gonna put a blower too? We can't wait to see the end result. I hope all goes well, because I moved you to the overwhelming Death Race favorite as soon as they announced that the racing was moved to night time. Does your x-ray night vision still give you a benefit with lights, or do you need a power failure to get an advantage? I still can't get over how well you can see at night, because for me that night riding near the house was insane even with the halogen on my bike.

Yep, still have outstanding night vision. :) When other folks are tripping over things in the dark, i can generally see just fine. When camping, I don't need a flashlight for much.
I would love it if they did this race all in the dark :) but I bet they've got stadium type lighting that will make it nearly daylight at night.

Kiwi said:

Carpe diem.

I agree with Luke! watta nice summary!

We should put one like that on the top of the forum page every month!

Doc

liveforphysics said:
Time-wise, it was roughly 15mins a tooth for my tester winds. That means this is going to take a boatload of time to do all 51 teeth. Hopefully as technique improves, it will get below 10mins a tooth.

Any update on your winding technique?

I don't know if this will serve as encouragement or depression, but from one of the stator winding rooms at the Nine Continent factory last fall:
NC Winding.jpg
A lot of the workers were wearing headphones and rocking out to tunes while their arms whizzed back and forth with bundles of copper at lightening speed. They get paid 4 yuan per motor wind (About 60 cents), and complete anywhere between 20 to 30 stators a day. In the time it takes Luke to wind just two stator teeth (After he's optimized his technique), they would have completed the entire wheel. Humbling stuff.

Anyways, I have oodles of respect for anyone to takes on the task of rewiring one of these hubs, so put on your earphones and go for it Luke!

PS, I have some of the special glass-fiber insulating paper to tuck in the lamination slot for preventing shorts to the stator if you need it. -Justin

yo i am having an impossible trial with these hall sensors... anyone have any ideas?
When i hook it all up to fetchers testing circuit with the leds i get nothing. The same circuit flashes it's leds when i move the ground of the power supply to the led out, so it should be working if the halls were opening and closing. The psu is a 5.02v dc output, so that is good to go... don't know at this point; phase not shorting, but the halls aint working yet. I opened the case, the red and black are definitely + and - and the blue yellow green are sensor wires. So if i get nothing at all from the sensors, or full at all times or something, it's a burnt sensor right? When i hook it up to the resistor/multimeter circuit i read 5.03v across all three. Would they all be burnt if that is the case.?
I did my Nine C and it was puzzling at first but within a couple combinations i got movement. I started to worry when i had tried 18 of 36 combos and got nothing but shuddering.

The HS3040 and HT3025 hubs went out to Justin today for a run on the Dyno. A the same time I had to drop a few 9C's off at UPS and USPS -> who said you need an SUV to run a small shipping company?

78F
Sunny
Calm

View attachment 2

But..... I forgot these on the stove! Lolz - my cleaning lady had not even left yet and I made this awesome mess.

IMG_20110404_144355.jpg

Best part? That is basically bleach I am boiling there... smells wonderful.... but not wonderful enough to run me out. The electric revolution is running full blast at methods house right now.

IMG_20110402_190136.jpg

-methods

On my way methy :)

Ypedal said:
boiling bleach ?

dare i ask ? :shock:

The stirring hot plate in my lab can only do 2L at a time. I am boiling down some chlorine to make home made toothpaste :mrgreen:

If you were to ask something though... You should ask what the hell this clown just did to my kitchen/living-room/hallway/ceiling. But it would be a pointless question since I would not answer :wink:

IMG_20101230_215008.jpg

All I will say is that he did this within 3 minutes of arriving.... followed by 30 minutes of cleaning.... and after that he asked if I had a fire extinguisher that I was not using :roll:

-methods

Nothing suprises me with luke!!!

New Years Eve, right Meths?

Nice use of space on the MX-5, I would never have dreamed you could fit so much in! Might have a bash at getting my double bass in/on mine, would make it much more usefull!

Jozz

Back