New electric mountain bike frame by Phasor Cycles

Rodney64 said:
Anyone interested in starting a discussion thread for phasor, I'm happy to kick it off

I'm game. So much progress has been made since this thread started. Would be nice to have a new thread to BS about the frame, what parts people are using etc...

one of those white frames is probably mines..HPC doing electronics around 100 volts 4500-5000 watts with boxxer world cup forks using the newest lightest batteries

korpin said:
one of those white frames is probably mines..HPC doing electronics around 100 volts 4500-5000 watts with boxxer world cup forks using the newest lightest batteries

Thought I found out who had the 2nd frame , but after going back and reviewing your just repeating yourself :) NBD Id be doing the same if I was getting one so soon.

Can not wait for the reviews.

Ok Deutch that's good, share, discuss & components used sounds good. I'm frame 6 so still away off. Would be good to have someone from the first 3 to start it off.

Rodney64 said:
Ok Deutch that's good, share, discuss & components used sounds good. I'm frame 6 so still away off. Would be good to have someone from the first 3 to start it off.

I'm 4th or 5th, David said he was making mine last week. I still am undecided on color.

ohzee said:
I was told mine was 4th so hopefully your fifth :)

Anyway it looks like frames are close to shipping an exciting time.

Yours must be the unpowdercoated one in the picture than! Hehe

The quote was "I think you are getting frame #4. " so anything is possible.. still I am not that picky just glad to be getting one.

hey I just wanted to hear from other phasor builders out there...what kinda voltage,wattage,components,etc you gonna be using on your bike and whats your expected or projected weight range? personally,I am aiming at 85 pounds with 20 amp hours of batteries...kind of a a stealth fiighter but with more wattage and amp hours

I havent worked out the weight but are going for 100.8 volts with 15 amp hours.

Components
Marzochi forks 888,s
Fox DHX RC4
Not sure what size sprocket will go on the front so will wait until I get the frame before I decide.
A couple of things which I found out the hard way if you get the bommer forks they need a 20mm front hub and if you get shimmano then you need a centre locking disc brake. Also the stem is straight and not tapered.

I was thinking marchozzi too but those boxxer world cup are about the same cost but quite a bit lighter.....I was also considering the 3" rims like on the prototype but was told the wide tires and tubes will add a few pounds so going with 2.5" like on the bomber

For the electric portion: I plan to run as many Kwh as i can fit, using 4S hardcase LiPo packs from HobbyKing. Max of 32s5p, 133v25ah (which i doubt will fit). Minimum of 24s4p, 100v20ah, which is what i run now. im able to fit this pack inside my triangle on my Kona, so im confident it will fit in the Phasor frame. Motor will be a 5403 from the group buy (58mph @ 98v in a 26" rim). If im staying under 100v, ill use a 24 fet 4110 and hit it with 100-120 amps for 10-12kw. If i go 133v ill get a 24fet 4115 and keep the amps to about 80 for about 10.5kw. Controller selection will play a part in tire size, as i refuse to use a 4115fet at high amps with a 26" tire. Im using all 75amp andersons and 8g high temp silicone wires at and after the series connections. Everything before the series connection is a 45a Anderson and 10g high temp wire. All andersons are soldered and crimped using the Anderson crimper. All other connections are soldered and crimped with a copper crimp sleeve and then heat shrink wrapped. icharger 3010b with Meanwell 1000watt PS, so i should be able to fully BALANCE charge a 120ah pack (24s4p in parallel) in under 1.5 hours! CA and a 3 speed switch so i can let others use it without worry of them killing themselves.

Bike parts: Ill probably lace my 5403 to a 3" wide 24" Fatboy rim (ideally). The rims will be powder coated to match the frame. Ill prob ship everything out to JRH for lacing etc... Marzocchi 888 rc3 V2 front fork. Fox RC4 rear shock with a 600lb spring. Easton monkeybar handlebars. Undecided if im getting A fake schlumpf OR a single speed crank OR if a dual crank will fit. Not sure what brakes to buy; im currently running Formula The Ones and they work fairly well breaking from 50mph + with little fade.. At an absolute minimum i would need to upgrade to a 8" rotor due to heat soak.. I'll probably end up getting 6 or 8 pot Gator brakes but we'll se how the Formulas hold up. I might copy David and run 2.7" Nevegal tires, but maybe JRH will suggest something different. I like the Maxxis High Rollers, but they don't make a tire wide enough to accommodate the 3" wide rim. I have a single speed on my 5403 currently. I own a 3 speed as well; if the 3 speed will fit on the phasor frame without offsetting it, i will run the 3 speed. I will run some type of quality chain guide / tensioner so i don't chip and destroy the powdercoat. Plus i hate the annoying sound of my chain bashing and clunking on everything.

Parts sure do add up quickly. Thankfully, i only have to purchase the "Bike parts" portion, as i already own and use everythign else. When u sit back and add everythign up, Stealth's prices dont seem THAT crazy. A mans time is worth something, isnt it? Either way, i would ALWAYS choose building it myself overing buying it pre-built. But that's just me.

Oh yea, color. It was a long debate in my head, but im almost sure im going to get a dark grey with a LOT of metallic flake in it. Similar to the new ZR-1 color. Love it. Anyone know the paint code/#?

http://www.primo-powder.com/pdf/durable.pdf
http://www.primo-powder.com/pdf/cardinal.pdf
http://www.primo-powder.com/pdf/ral-colors.pdf

Those are the color charts David gave to me.

ohzee said:
http://www.primo-powder.com/pdf/durable.pdf
http://www.primo-powder.com/pdf/cardinal.pdf
http://www.primo-powder.com/pdf/ral-colors.pdf

Those are the color charts David gave to me.

those style charts are not the best way to pick your color. Colors will vary depending on the monitors screen settings. Im just going to find the color code. im sure his guy either has or can get the color once i give him the #.

hey by Deutch420,are you gonna have any air cooling on that 10,500 watts?....wow the bomber is only 4500 watts on the specs,but I do not know the true voltage times amps on the bomber do you?

not sure about the 8 gauge wire but according to the electricians chart,if you are intermimittent rating of maxinum 2 minutes then its fine but 6 would be needed for a longer duration of 80 amps and over 115 volts for over 2 minutes but its close

and any idea on what kinda weight you will be at?

ohzee said:
korpin said:

Thought I found out who had the 2nd frame , but after going back and reviewing your just repeating yourself :) NBD Id be doing the same if I was getting one so soon.

Can not wait for the reviews.

Frame stalker :)

I'm pretty sure I know who got #1 :wink:

Rodney64 said:
Deutch the 3 speed switch you were talking about are you making it yourself or did you buy it.

I purchased it from Lyen with my controller. Over 2000 miles on it switching between 40% 99.9% and 120% with zero issues of any kind so far. :)

korpin said:
hey by Deutch420,are you gonna have any air cooling on that 10,500 watts?....wow the bomber is only 4500 watts on the specs,but I do not know the true voltage times amps on the bomber do you?

not sure about the 8 gauge wire but according to the electricians chart,if you are intermimittent rating of maxinum 2 minutes then its fine but 6 would be needed for a longer duration of 80 amps and over 115 volts for over 2 minutes but its close

and any idea on what kinda weight you will be at?

Yes, i plan to have air cooling. For the Phasor i plan to use the 5403 from the group buy. Its huge. Just some holes drilled in the side covers should be more than enough. In fact, i have about 2000 miles on my current setup, (18fet lyen @ 80amps 5304 STOCK 100v 24s4p) without any issues at all, so far. My GM at 5kw melted 2 phase wires together, but the 5304 has had no issues. Yes, i am now, and will be, over double the power of a bomber. But you must realize that just b/c i have the power doesnt mean you always use it. I use 10kw for maybe 1-3 minute intervals. I assume if i was to blast around at 10kw for longer periods than that, other components would be an issue well before the wire would. I dont think stealth has the luxury to tell the consumer they cant use the bike to its full potential for over 3 minutes blah blah.... They must limit the power as to avoid noobs overheating things, so it has its tradeoffs.

In regards to weight. My Kona weighs 38lbs stock. I use 24x of the 4S hardecase packs and the 5304 and my bike weighs 95lbs (including some mud). So im assuming between the hub, battery pack, wires, controller, gps, CA etc.... i should expect 50-55lbs worth of crap getting added the the Phasor. I think David already said how much everything weighs, however i have no idea how much just my frame weighs, so this is the best comparison i could do.

DAVID PIERCE told me the bare phasor frame/swingarm is about 15 pounds

another thing....I have seen quite a few u tube videos where guys are using high wattage and getting 58 to 60 MPH something but the bomber is getting 48-50 MPH at half the wattage some of these guys are using which makes me think stealth is lowballing the power specs or the efficiency is dropping off a cliff,i am guesings from heat but i am not an expert...on the link below,they say

Max current of 65 A (source).

Min (cut-off) voltage of 72 V (source).

http://www.expandingknowledge.com/Jerome/Bike/Gear/Electric/Review/2011_05_13_JeromeDaoust_Stealth_2011_Bomber/Main.htm

I'm going for a mac 7t as I have few hills and actually do like pedalling, I also like big Wide tyres and good handling so really my setups more biased towards assistance to keep me at a reasonable pace 20mph.

I did think about a hubzilla but i didn't think it would go down well doing 30-40mph on a cycle path where I've already been moaned at whilst pedalling at 30mph on a windcheetah recumbent.

I've got some of the 3inch rims and they are seriously wide(and heavy)

korpin said:
I have seen quite a few u tube videos where guys are using high wattage and getting 58 to 60 MPH something but the bomber is getting 48-50 MPH at half the wattage some of these guys are using which makes me think stealth is lowballing the power specs

It's pointless comparing the power or speed to a stealth bomber. This is just a bare frame that looks like a bomber. Sure, compare the weight and handling but as far as power and speed goes it may as well be a shopping trolly or pair of roller skates.

Power and speed comes from the battery, controller and the type of motor (size and winding) - so bolt on what ever suits your needs.

Hyena...I do not think you understood my post regarding the stealth....it had NOTHING do do with the phasor frame....what I am saying is guys are using comparable motors to the stealth and running crazy voltages and amps up to 10,500 watts buy NOT getting much more speed...which makes me think these motors designed for bicycle type frames can only produce so much before they start converting the excess energy to heat....looks like even with the biggest BICYCLE hub motors,efficiency starts to drop off a cliff over 5000-6000 volts as regards wattage to speed from what I have seen so far....I think 4500-5000 watts with a hubzilla or stealth type motor and 100 volts and a great controller and 45-55 mph and 75-85 pounds and 10-20 amp hours is about as good as it gets for now unless you want a one mile dragster.....or a heavier motorcycle type bike...this is all based on what I see on the internet...I am waiting for my first bike

Back