New electric mountain bike frame by Phasor Cycles

That is on handsome bike man!
I'm looking at buying this frame this summer and filling it with bike part from my current build. :D I'm envious that you came work with metal in such an art form. :D
will there be a choice of colors or green just the most bad ass color that works with this frame? 8)

They have a wide range of colors available . I was sent a few docs with different types to select one if you want to have them do it.

I agree this is a pretty rad looking bike.. Can't wait to get my hands on mine.

Parts are back from the waterjet machine, kind of a before and after shot:

2012-04-20_17-40-33_184.jpg

dpearce said:
Parts are back from the waterjet machine, kind of a before and after shot:

2012-04-20_17-40-33_184.jpg
That bike looks so darn good in this pic! 8) How long does it take to weld all the pieces together?

Great video, love the jumps. Nice to see someone pushing ebikes to the limits. The final design is looking really good. It would be my first choice in production builds.

dpearce said:
Just wanted to let you know: this is the picture I have on my lock screen for my iPhone. The picture on the home screen is a stealth bomber. This is by far the best bike I have ever came in counter with. When I get the money's I will definitely be buying one :D

wildharemtbkr said:
The fighter has a unified rear triangle, which puts the cranks on the swing arm. That's like putting the pegs of a motorcycle on the swing arm. FAIL!

Well not quite. Seeing the Fighter bottom bracket is directly below the swing arm pivot point and very close, the movement with the swing arm becomes minuscule. When riding you feel no movement of the bottom bracket even under deep compression of the suspension.

Its difficult to have a design without some compromises. In this case I hardly think it should be called a FAIL! In fact, considering it has a straight chain line, I would call it a very reasonable compromise.

Finally have enough parts to get started building. Here is a time lapse of the first steps of building a swingarm. Handbuillt in the USA. From here they go into the jig to get the dropouts, bearing carriers and shock tabs welded on before it is complete.

Thanks to all who went through with a preorder and hung in there during the startup delays. One of these swingarms might be yours. Getting the CNC parts back early this week and should be able to start getting frames out very soon, and I will get a better idea of how long each one will take to make.

2012-05-12_14-01-26_515.jpg

2012-05-19_21-09-29_488.jpg

[youtube]Y7k0xJbxqlU[/youtube]

Frame#01 almost ready

I machined a few more parts, some brass inserts that will prevent weld from penetrating where you don't want it to, and save from having to do any grinding.

2012-05-30_18-19-21_998.jpg

2012-06-04_19-53-15_771.jpg

2012-06-04_19-52-52_192.jpg

2012-06-06_09-16-57_149.jpg

2012-06-06_10-03-31_47.jpg

Stone Meadow / Green machine, the artist is just some random youtube music I picked. The title is Lotus Petals, by David O'Brien and Shu Hong.

Green machine- the swingarm alone takes several hours to build, there are several stages that each take an hour or two. Tack weld together / form it, then come back and fully weld the edges, grind smooth, then put in the jig to add on the bearing carriers, shock tabs and dropouts. It is all pretty labor intensive but I am trying to find ways to outsource some of it to local shops.

Nicobie- I think that this will work for 150mm, I will be certain soon when I will be building one for a cromotor. I am not certain about it until I do though, and if it does work it will probably require a dish to the wheel to compensate for the motor's offset.

I will post some more pictures as it comes along

Finally coming along... First 3 about ready to ship off. Quite a bit of work to get to this point! But I do enjoy fabricating.

2012-06-29_17-57-18_850.jpg

2012-06-29_18-09-50_100.jpg

2012-06-29_18-10-00_107.jpg

Also made a couple upgrades, I added more batteries to my bike to make it 74V 20Ah, 83.5V hot off the charger. Also added a charging port so I don't ever have to take off a side panel except for balancing.

2012-06-27_12-36-16_847.jpg

New derailer guard, I happened to test it today as I went over the bars after going too fast off a jump because of the newfound extra power. I have done this jump a thousand times, someone dug a little kink in the lip and it bucked me right over.

2012-06-27_12-38-58_538.jpg

With the 84V setup I have already toasted my V4 and V2 BMC hub motors, both of them the solder melted at the phase wire connection and sucked up into the wires until the connection comes apart. I soldered them back together and they work fine. It is lots of fun as long as you don't use the full power continuously like I have been doing, I need to hook up the cycle analyst to limit the current and only 'uncork' it here and there. I will go and drain it at WOT for 1/2 hr, the CA reading a draw in excess of 80A for extended periods, riding like a motorcycle without pedaling much, that is when it gets too hot and fails. I may just go back to the idiot proof 40A 56V setup and not have to worry about it, but the extra power would be missed.

Thanks for the update David and hope you didn't hurt yourself. Coming along nice. Ohzee yours must be the unpainted one at the end, number 4 painted all over it.

Can't wait to see my candy blue frame in the next update.

Regards
Rod

I was looking at this thread yesterday via my phone and drooling.. Those look pretty damn sweet.. can't wait to see mine a nice deep forest green..

I have also pushed the mac motors to the edge and over slightly.. Ran one at 24s 18s lipo and now 20s Lifepo4.. I bought a 2nd from Lyen just to have
a spare for when It finally melts.. they run so much better imo with all that voltage , but yea the parts are not meant for it so things fail.

Glad to see you making good progress keep it up.

dpearce said:
With the 84V setup I have already toasted my V4 and V2 BMC hub motors, both of them the solder melted at the phase wire connection and sucked up into the wires until the connection comes apart. I soldered them back together and they work fine. It is lots of fun as long as you don't use the full power continuously like I have been doing, I need to hook up the cycle analyst to limit the current and only 'uncork' it here and there. I will go and drain it at WOT for 1/2 hr, the CA reading a draw in excess of 80A for extended periods, riding like a motorcycle without pedaling much, that is when it gets too hot and fails. I may just go back to the idiot proof 40A 56V setup and not have to worry about it, but the extra power would be missed.

Ditch the solder and crimp them brother! Dont accept no lessor PWR limit.

PS: Beaut Workmanship on these frames. I hope the quality doesnt suffer if you do end up outsourcing the labour.

i believe ONE OF THE WHITE frames is mines...HPC making me a 100 volt set up with 4500-5000 watt motor with cooling holes or "scoops" to suck in air.. :lol: .

The cromotor doesn't require much dishing at all for a regular center, about 5mm if I recall.

If there is more trouble with wires coming unsoldered, I wonder if a braze would work better if a crimp can't work?

danimal:

What does your CAD program tell you is the mass of the naked frame and swingarm?

This is a well thought out design, but it's getting into the weight and bulkiness regime where it might as well not have pedals.

As for me, having anything wider than the diameter of a bike bottle within the area swept by my femurs makes my pedal stroke awkward and inefficient.

Chalo

Looking good! Heavy bikes for heavy duty. Ever ridden a 50 pound 1940s cruiser? Pedals and rides like a dream on the flatland. The point of ebikes for me
make hills flat.

You may want to think about adding an update to your first post of this thread with the final product pictures.

Back