New - Here - Looking to convert my trikes to e-trikes

zoom2136

1 mW
Hi Guys,

Just starting to learn about e-bikes. I have a KMX-Viper and a brand new Catrike Expedition that I'm looking to convert to electric (one for me and the other for my wife). Im not looking to build dragters or speed trikes :mrgreen:

I'm just looking to build daily commuters with maximum range in mind (mayby with a max speed of about 25-30mph)

I'm completly new at this and would like a shooping list to get me started, with all the options available I'm pretty at a loss...

My research so far lead me to San Diego Electric Bike Co (please not that I'm in Montrel Canada, so not exactly close to home)... but they have a MAC Ebike kit for 799$ (I've read that these are good motors)

This is their kit:

$799 MAC Ebike Kit, Composite Gears, Double Phase wires
(Rear weel similar to BMC V2 Motor)

- 36v-48v 6T (Racer - VERY FAST), 8T (Cruiser), 10T (Torque)
- Motor, Black ALEX DM-24 Rim, Silver Spokes ---- (my Spyder as a 24" rim and my Expedition a 26")
- Infineon 12 FET Controller 40A 1400 -1900 Watts 6 Mo Warranty
- Infenion 9 FET Controller 25A 900-1200 Watts 1 Yr Warranty
- Twist Throttle with Cruise, 3-Power Level Switch, E-Brakes (included)
- Thumb Throttle (3 Power Level Switch), E-Brakes, Cruise ($50 Additional)
- Battery (not included) requires a High Rate BMS

OPTIONS:

- $15 Waterproof controller casing (BMC)
- $25 Torque Arm (some front and rear forks require this)
- $15 ON/OFF Battery Switch; Super Heavy Duty Triple Sealed 50A
- $35-129 Battery Cases; Superb Quality
- $45 Rear Bike Rack That allows battery case to slide on. (+$10 for Disc)
- $30 Cruise Control (for BMC)
- $40 Electric Brakes (cuts off cruise and motor) (for BMC)
- $155 Cycle Analyst
- $32 FreeWheel: 7-11-34T
- $36 FreeWheel: for 8 Speed 8-11-34T
- $69 Chainring 52T, Crank Arms, Guard ($30 Labor to Install)
- $20 Tire Liners (one pair installed)

NOTE; It's worth a few dollars more to add gearing to allow you to pedal at top speed to obtain maximum efficiency (Speed & Distance).

Basically, my question is do you think it's a good deal, and which option would you consider...

I'm open to other suggestion also.

Thanks in advance guys.

try cellman..he is a member in hong kong...makes a123 batteriesw and sells motors VERY reliable... his price for a Mac motor,laced, is about $300.00 another canadian source...crystalite 3540 is Maxwell..also a member :mrgreen:

With any powerful gear motor, even on a steel bike or trike, a torque arm (or 2) is really not an option. I consider them mandatory.
otherDoc
I know the KMX is steel but not sure on the Cattrike>
Alloy for the Cattrike. No question 2 torque arms for the rear, at least in my book. Grin makes good rear ones and so do a few folks in the for sale area.

What they said.

Thanks for the info guys.

I've exchanged emails with Justin at ebikes dot ca

Based on Justin advice I have decided on a Crystalyte HS3540 motor. (Crystalyte HS3540 Rear Hub Motor in XX inch wheel, with hall sensors). I'm definately going to install torque arms.

Also I was thinking of a 60V20Ah battery : http://www.bmsbattery.com/packs/530-48v-10ah-38120-lifepo4-battery-16-cells-ebike-battery-pack.html

Which BMS should I choose 30-60A or 50-100A with such a setup?

Now I need to choose a controller. I was thinking of the C7240-NC (36-72V, 40A controller, 12xIRFB4110 mosfet, ON/OFF button, Fwd/Rev, regen, and CA connectors) seen here: http://www.ebikes.ca/store/photos/C7240-NC.jpg or should I go with a different model (with sensors or sensorless)?

Also which Cycle Analyst would you buy? A V2 or a V3? Would you buy a kit with the torque sensors like this: http://www.ebikes.ca/store/photos/CA3_TorqueKit.jpg

What break levers and throttle combo do you recommend if I want to make use of the regenerative braking function? Should I get a triple position switch?

I'm I missing something?

Your help is most appreciated :p

Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum). This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.

I have two BMC V3 Speed motors with green composite gears same as the MAC. New old stock $300 each. I will include a set of the new V4 blue gear/clutch for another $50 if you want to change them but if you are willing to ride with the MAC gears you will be go to go. That blue cluster sells at ebikessf for $188. I have the newer V4 motors available for $470. Any one you want, Torque, Cruiser, or Speed. Rear or Front. I will throw in a set of 11 gauge spokes for a 26" wheel (shown on a customers bike in Ireland). Got the new controllers with the CA cable that will interface with the V2 or V3 Cycle Analyst. All motors come with a twist throttle and I have some thumb throttles if you need one (not my fave). All of my customers I have shared information about every choice possible and links to many vendors so they can make the best decision for themselves. Four motors in each box. How many do you need? Phat bike is getting two new controllers next week. I will post the pictures at the sale page.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=47599

Attachments

• Keith's bike.jpg
    Keith's bike.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 911
  • Phat 2.jpg
    Phat 2.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 911
  • 4 per box.jpg
    4 per box.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 407
Speed motor old new stock.

Attachments

• V3S.jpg
    V3S.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 908
Thank you for the offer.

I'm not sure that a motor built for speed is what I need. The BMC V4 look very nice but considering import duties to Canada will be a bit to expensive for me.

Because I'm planning a trip this summer, I thought of purchasing 3 of these batteries to use in my builds (lets assume a pair of HS3540).

48V 20Ah 38120 LiFePO4 Battery 32 Cells 2P16S EBike Battery Pack http://www.bmsbattery.com/packs/161-48v-20ah-38120-lifepo4-battery-16-cells-2p16s-ebike-battery-pack.html

Also would Infineon 36-72V, 40A controller, 12xIRFB4110 mosfet, ON/OFF button, Fwd/Rev, regen, and CA connectors be a good fit for these builds.

Your input would be most appreciated as I would like to order my batteries on monday.

Regards,

Those batteries look fine for a trike. I believe thay are made with Headways cells which are easy to switch out if they go bad. Should be a long lived battery and a trike can handle the weight and bulk. Do mount them low, not high on the rear as trikes handle best with the weight central and low. There are Headways dealers in the US and you might want to get a competitive bid, since shipping charges will be high from China.
otherDoc
Whoops. Just saw the Canada address. Don't know about duties and shipping. Sorry

Back