Newbie - Just Finished building a SideKick

Hub motors seem rather expensive compared to classical DC motors that could be run through chain drive.

Do you guys think this is possible or will the torque of a strong motor rip the frame apart?

Call me crazy but I'd like to hit 35 mph so that I don't get other drivers angry. Although I am concerned about cops stopping me at 30 mph :(

Maybe I could claim I pedaled to hard?

--Marcelo

Both brush motors and brushless (3-phase) have advantages.

Brushless last longer, don't have brushes that wear out, and have some torque advantages. They are however harder to control.

And yes, they can be "TOO" powerful and will be happy to tear the dropouts out of an aluminum frame, as has been written about here often.

Many Hub-motors have a "torque Arm" which will transfer some of the torque out to a better anchor than just the Axel nut.

As for speed, it also depends on WHAT you are driving... a Bike or scooter is one thing, a Quad with seats is another...

NEV (neighborhood electric vehicles) are specifically designed for streets with limits UNDER 40Mph... but I will stay under that and stay a bicycle...

Just a follow up on someones comment about a Grin... yea, its a LOT of fun...

For close trips, less than a mile, the SideKick is ALMOST as fast as a Car... I get to park closer (bike rack) take short cuts and keep moving in the breakdown/bike lane while traffic is stopped...

Get lots of Hoots, honks and strange looks...the other bicyclist don't know what to think as I glide past (almost) silently.

However, sitting upright, only pedalling occasionally, it gets COLD FAST... heavy gloves, Jacket and Goggles required!

How hard do you think it would be to cover your ride with nylon sheet? If you have time you could work on that. It's clear enough that it won't disturb your vision and it'll be light enough not to weight you down.

Thought about it until someone said "Barn Door"

I am push the little motor pretty hard now... I would hate to think what adding a nylon Barn-door would do...

Back