Next project : Trike recumbent tadpole ? KMX cobra, Typhoon?

I haven't checked current costs but here is the Steintrikes dealer in the US.

http://www.velomobiles.net/wildfire/index.htm

I paid a bit less because mine was "tested" by a recumbent magazine before I got it.
otherDoc

We have built an e-trike based on the KMX Typhoon. Riding the electric Typhoon is a lot of fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSLvgT5tCE, especially when taking corners and small ramps on top speed. Yes, falling off is possible. Helmet and arm protection (especially the inside arm) are neccesary. Drifting, especially on gravel is great fun (see the video). A new set of tires is already needed. 8)

We want to build several more and start some heavy test riding (i.e. racing) on a track which is outside our workshed.

Greetz,
Wil

HI!

I would prefer another frame.

With all these bikes, that's to dangerrrr! :twisted:

If you slow down strong, the rear wheel lift up and if you ride with a higher speed a sharp curve, the
outside wheel lift up... That are very dangerous configurations! :evil:

If you want, you can create again my frame work of the "Lowracer SuperSonic"
The trike is so ultra flat, it's "fool-proof", it has got nearly no air resistance and sheer impossible to roll over! :mrgreen:
Here never a wheel lifted up, and (if you want) you can build 3 hub motors on it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Velo.couché.SuperSonic.fini.JPG
    Velo.couché.SuperSonic.fini.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,922
wojtek said:
so Doc, which direction are you going with your build - any decisions yet ??? :mrgreen:

Hi Wojtek!

Greetings from the neighborhood!
I see, we are all coverting into "electric ghostriders"...

Check out the new Crystalyte X5404:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24805

Regards, Lowracer

Hi Lowracer. I really admire your work. How does your trike tilt? That really is the key to us trike riders who don't want to be "low" like cockroaches and still ride on city streets. We simply cannot be seen, even with bright lights. My town is home to many old drivers who cannot pass a vision test! They also drive aircraft carrier sized American cars from the 1970's and will run over anything lower than 4 feet (3.5 meters) tall! Even taller would be better.
otherDoc

Thanks Lowracer for sharing these plans.

But i think i'll go with the typhoon that i'll upgrade the wheel dimensions to 20" front and 24" rear

Typhoon is like 500$ cheaper than the cobra and i dont really need the 3 gear on front crank of the cobra.. the typhoon only have one and this is enough with an electric bike.

The KMX Typhoon in Canada cost around 1300 shipped.... any best offer here?

docnjoj said:
Hi Lowracer. I really admire your work. How does your trike tilt? That really is the key to us trike riders who don't want to be "low" like cockroaches and still ride on city streets. We simply cannot be seen, even with bright lights. My town is home to many old drivers who cannot pass a vision test! They also drive aircraft carrier sized American cars from the 1970's and will run over anything lower than 4 feet (3.5 meters) tall! Even taller would be better.
otherDoc

The system is called "Ackerman steering" or "Drehschemellenkung".
With that steering you can 'work', you can ride backward, forward and in very critical situations you can steer with the brakes!
It's so easy like a round wheel.....

[youtube]rkEtQ6E16nE[/youtube]

Attachments

• LOWRACER.STEERING1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,197
  • LOWRACER.STEERING2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,197
  • LOWRACER.STEERING3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,197
Doctorbass said:
Thanks Lowracer for sharing these plans.

But i think i'll go with the typhoon that i'll upgrade the wheel dimensions to 20" front and 24" rear

Typhoon is like 500$ cheaper than the cobra and i dont really need the 3 gear on front crank of the cobra.. the typhoon only have one and this is enough with an electric bike.

The KMX Typhoon in Canada cost around 1300 shipped.... any best offer here?

I think the 20" wheels are very solid with the most different kinds of tires.
But the problem isn't the tire, that are the hubs and the rims.
Here you can look for 20" into the BMX sector, that works alltime!!!

With the 24" rear tire? Where do you get that? Here the favorites are 16"-20"-26"-28".

The tubing price(material) of the Lowracer Supersonic-frame is under 50$. :mrgreen:
Of course the frame work and frame quality depends on his DIYer, that's unaffordable! :mrgreen:

[youtube]0_NgdsGjabA[/youtube]

Wow Lowracer! That is way clever engineering! I actually can see how the system works and understand it. Very superior work!
otherDoc

so Doc, are you getting this crystalyte 5404 on your KMX typhoon? :mrgreen:

lowracer is saying they are actually 150mm hope it will somehow fit your KMX?!

wojtek said:
so Doc, are you getting this crystalyte 5404 on your KMX typhoon? :mrgreen:

lowracer is saying they are actually 150mm hope it will somehow fit your KMX?!

KMX Typhoon is made of steel ( cromoly) not aluminum.. so you can bend it a bit :wink:

I already did that on every of my ebike swing arms. Sometimes you need to readjust the angle of the brake caliper due to the light tilt it add when bending but it work great for me.

But i plan on swaping my actual x5 hub motors of my 3 actual ebikes and will try each with the KMX.

The 5404 is also on the to buy list.

I just wonder who will sale me one first for a true power review (36 fets 300A controller) and add great documentation like lowracer do :wink:

Doc

re lightning are you thinking about those too?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11153 Turnigy High Density R/C LED Flexible Strip-Red

Strong, blinking and "ultra-annoying" lights are more efficient than a flag i would say ;) Im using ones from ebikes.ca - they rock!

I am not an expert, not even ridden a trike in my life but for off-road riding i hear that it is better to have weight more in front / front central of the trike. Also it is not good to have a 12kg of unsuspended rear wheel for off-road cycling. That is what experienced people here told me! :roll:

But it does not contradict with the fact that heavy rear will improve the traction!

Btw i was close to get steini [another things many people here stressed a lot - to get a fully for offroad triking] but with all the extras i would want to have and customising to my needs and likings, i would need to spend well over 4000 eur. So i had to postpone the purchase.

But just very recently i talked with Kamil from Velokraft. He is now working on a rickshaw project and said he could use his unique suspension from this rickshaw in an offroad recument trike. [if it passes the testing] So in the end he agreed to build a trike for me! I'm sooo excited about it! I dont know any details but in May, if all goes well - i will show you the pics / videos!

Are you from Quebec city? My wife is from there :D

Hey wojtek
I'm not sure about that "weight in the front" bit, at least for tadpole trikes. Centraized seems like it would handle better. My Stein understeers a fair bit. Also Kettweissel is a delta with the weight mostly on the rear suspension and they tend to win a lot of trike races. Great news about your custom build. Will it be a tilt trike?
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Hey wojtek
I'm not sure about that "weight in the front" bit, at least for tadpole trikes. Centraized seems like it would handle better. My Stein understeers a fair bit. Also Kettweissel is a delta with the weight mostly on the rear suspension and they tend to win a lot of trike races. Great news about your custom build. Will it be a tilt trike?
otherDoc

I think it is always a gain / loss relationship - apparently with weight in front you get better handling, with weight in the rear you get better traction.

Nope no tilting trike unfortunately :( maybe they will make it next year for me!

wojtek said:
Are you from Quebec city? My wife is from there :D

Yes i'm from Quebec. and i'm proud to live here. This is a nice place to live!

Thanks for the link to the LED at Hobbyking! :wink:

Doc

Back