nipples....nipples.....more nipples.... UGHHH!!!!

Patriot

10 kW
This is the FOURTH time I've had to pull my rear wheel in the last two weeks, because of broken nipples. The crowns keep breaking off. At first, I thought my wheel was too loose, as you could get some movement in the spokes (like a normal wheel) when squeezing them. So, I really tightened up the whole wheel after reading a few older threads on the forum, and they all said to make sure you wheel is good an tight.

Anyway, even after really tightening up the whole wheel, I still have two more nipples that broke this week after riding only 45 miles to and from work.

I just got done replacing them. I noticed the original nipples don't have as thick a crown as the new nipples I got from Electric Rider. I'm thinking they may have upgraded them knowing they were having problems. Maybe not. I could be wrong. But these nipples have a more silver look (but still brass), and the old ones were golden colored brass.

Anyway7, I'm getting so frustrated with this thing. I can believe they break so often. You'd think, a 175lbs guy, on a bike with an additional 50lbs of weight on the rear would be able to handle it. I mean really, the bike with 12ga spokes, should be able to handle the equivalent of a 235lbs guy without breaking nipples every week.

How the heck does one prevent this?

Brass is the preferred material. It sounds like the nipples for the 12 gauge spokes you have are not as high quality as some of the typical 13 and 14 gauge parts. It is exceptionally rare to bust a brass nipple in a normal bike wheel build, whether the rim has eyelets or not. Aluminum nipples have been known to fail, however.

One tip: use oil on the shoulder of the nipple and spoke threads when you reinstall it. It will ease tightening and reduce friction, which may be exacerbating the nipple problem. I've had no problems with Sapim spokes or nipples (13-14 single butted).

I did drill the eyelets, however the eyelets are brass also. The nipples are also brass, and they are breaking at the contact point around the crown.

Maybe as I replace them all with newer ones, eventually it'll stop. :mrgreen:

if you want to upgrade to a thicker spoke you can drill the holes in the rim to accept larger nipples. you can drill the spoke holes in the hub motor to accept larger spokes. i have 4mm thick spokes now on the X5 and i've not had one break yet. i got them from bret white.

Patriot said:
I did drill the eyelets, however the eyelets are brass also. The nipples are also brass, and they are breaking at the contact point around the crown.

Maybe as I replace them all with newer ones, eventually it'll stop. :mrgreen:

I had trouble breaking the spokes at the nipple. It was caused by the not so straight angle that the spokes had when comming out of the wheel. A bind was put on that area because of the less than 180 deg angle. I re-drilled all the wheel holes to match the angle they went into the motor flange and got better spokes. Have not had a problem since. Possibly this could help?

Hey biohazardman, I have that same problem and was thinking about the same solution.

Could you say more about what kind of bit and procedure you used? I was thinking of a countersink bit, or I could grind a regular bit to try to match the angle on the nipples.

The rim is from Wilderness Energy and is not exactly the best. I'm a little afraid I'll wreck it. But on the other hand, it might be a blessing. I've broken 3 spokes so far at the nipple. I think it has a lot to do with that angle

A local shop said they would build me a new wheel -- they can cut the spokes for a buck apiece. But I like to do it myself..

Oh man.

I got to work last night, and found another broken nipple. This is getting very frystrating. I have a feeling this could be some bad nipples. Eventually, they'll probably all get replaced.

I wonder if running my Michelin City tires up at 85psi is also problematic?

I prefer to run them at higher psi, because I don't want pinch flats. but then, one could assume a lack of cushioning could also be overstressing the wheels. I would think the friggin' spokes would snap before the nipples would break though. :?

I just got done talking to a wheelbuilder at Electric Rider, and he said from what it sound like, my spoke nipples are definitely too tight, and I should probably replace them all and start at a lower tension. He basically said, if they are too tight, then when you hit a bump, the crown of the nipple will pop off, and the spoke wants to pull out, since the whole wheel tension is too high, which makes alot of sense. If overall tension is much less, then the impact can be more evenly distibuted throughout the wheel with more force/movement for the other spokes to absorb, instead of it all being so concentrated in one spot, thus causing nipple failure.

Back