NOOBIE HERE. Electric Motor Kit Reccomendation?

This is a better choice
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=187

ElectricBikeNoob said:
markz said:
15Acont/30Amax

So it that bad?

Depends, I would take teslanv word that its alright.
Given that it's the 500W version (programmed for 18A max) its probably an acceptable battery.

Personally for a future battery, I would look for something in the 25A/50A range,

48V15AH lithium-ion rear rack battery 20A/40A $356
48V15AH lithium ion shrink tube battery 20A/40A $306

But you cant upgrade battery, atleast from their website, maybe if you call them. Better to upgrade the battery to a higher discharge rate for any future motor/builds.
That battery is sufficient though.
Headway battery 48V12AH made by 38140S $440 120Amax
38120 Headway 48V10HA lithium battery $312 50/100A

**Remember though that you take whatever they state and halve it** So a 50A/100A, is really 25/50A.
**HK stuff you slice off 75% of their rated #'s too**

ElectricBikeNoob said:
So according to my usage, is this a solid kit to purchase? Lol....

My weight: 180~ lbs. (81 kg)
My bike : Trek Verve 3 (Hybrid)
---------------------------------------------------------
Motor kit for 700cc (28-29inch tires) with throttle and PAS

Desired top motor speed: around 20 mph (32kph) on level ground 
Desired top speed while pedaling: between 20-30 mph (32-48kph)
Desired range: About 20 miles (32 km) with mild pedaling at around 15 mph (24 kph)
Will probably commute on average about 8 miles (16 km) a day

Terrain: 92% street 8% off road
Flat to mild hills, mild dirt paths and grass
-NO extreme mountain biking-

Brakes: Doesn't matter, as long as it works great and bike stops in the end lol.

Seems like a decent option for your needs.
For reference, I consistently get about 15 watt-hours per mile on my BBS02 using a light assist (Level 4 out of 9), which translates to around 30 miles on a 48V-10Ah battery. That's at around 16 MPH. With the 29" tires, you definitely want to go with a 44T chainring. (I've said that three times now, sorry. ) - It won't be ideal for keeping your pedal cadence up with the motor, but it will keep the motor happy, and give you the most torque for those big tires.

Top speed will probably be limited by the controller. I do not know what that is from GBK, but it is possible to reprogram that BBS02 controller for a higher top speed, if it isn't fast enough for you. (I did that to one of my student's BBS02 bikes, and it was an eye-opener for him)

The BBS02 was my first ebike build, and I found it surprisingly easy to install as well.

I I have no doubt you would enjoy this kit immensely as a first-timer.

teslanv said:
ElectricBikeNoob said:
So according to my usage, is this a solid kit to purchase? Lol....

My weight: 180~ lbs. (81 kg)
My bike : Trek Verve 3 (Hybrid)
---------------------------------------------------------
Motor kit for 700cc (28-29inch tires) with throttle and PAS

Desired top motor speed: around 20 mph (32kph) on level ground 
Desired top speed while pedaling: between 20-30 mph (32-48kph)
Desired range: About 20 miles (32 km) with mild pedaling at around 15 mph (24 kph)
Will probably commute on average about 8 miles (16 km) a day

Terrain: 92% street 8% off road
Flat to mild hills, mild dirt paths and grass
-NO extreme mountain biking-

Brakes: Doesn't matter, as long as it works great and bike stops in the end lol.

Seems like a decent option for your needs.
For reference, I consistently get about 15 watt-hours per mile on my BBS02 using a light assist (Level 4 out of 9), which translates to around 30 miles on a 48V-10Ah battery. That's at around 16 MPH. With the 29" tires, you definitely want to go with a 44T chainring. (I've said that three times now, sorry. ) - It won't be ideal for keeping your pedal cadence up with the motor, but it will keep the motor happy, and give you the most torque for those big tires.

Top speed will probably be limited by the controller. I do not know what that is from GBK, but it is possible to reprogram that BBS02 controller for a higher top speed, if it isn't fast enough for you. (I did that to one of my student's BBS02 bikes, and it was an eye-opener for him)

The BBS02 was my first ebike build, and I found it surprisingly easy to install as well.

I I have no doubt you would enjoy this kit immensely as a first-timer.

Thanks you've been a great help, all of you guys. What is a pedal cadence ?

markz said:
Lots of people have had great success from the BBS02, Im still on the fence about it myself. Its appealing in many ways. But for heavier/fatter people like myself who tops off at 325lbs, but stretched to a 6'6" frame, I dont know how it would fare. Good solid choice though I must admit.

High weights and long climbs are where you'd want to use a mid drive on an electric bicycle. One of the ideas that electric motors functionality hinges upon is rotations per minute (RPM). An electric motor RPM is tied to it's efficiency curve. Why an electric bicycle motor will over heat is often related to running it for long periods of time at a low point in it's efficiency curve (slowly up a hill, for example). When I say efficiency in relation to an electric motor, it's important to understand what that means, it means how much energy is turned into either propulsion or heat. So if the motor is running at 30% efficiency at a particular moment and you are feeding it 1000w, 300w is turned into propulsion and 700w is turning into heat within the motor. A mid drive setup, with the ability to quickly change the gear ratio, means you can keep the motor in an ideal point of it's efficiency curve at nearly any speed with the right gearing so far more energy is turned into propulsion.

So if you are a great big fat person and you don't want to go around carrying a 10-20+ pound hub motor on your bicycle a mid drive is probably the right setup for you.

ElectricBikeNoob said:
And if I want to upgrade this kit for more speed or power,it can be done just by buying a controller or a battery?

I dont know about the controller, if they are inside the unit or what. But technically yes (Controller), and yes (Battery, Increasing Voltage)

ElectricBikeNoob said:
And if I want to upgrade this kit for more speed or power,it can be done just by buying a controller or a battery?
Actually, all you have to do to upgrade this kit is reprogram the controller.

Here is the Topic on this. It's a long one, I'm afraid.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780

You would have to make a programming cable for it, or find someone near you that had already made one.

It is technically possible to change out the controller for a higher-powered one, but it's not a project I would recommend for a noob.

The moment of truth. With this whole kit which totals around $850, what kind of performance can I expect with this? Am I better off buying the 750 Watt version? Am I better off buying a more powerful battery separately for better performance? Or is this kit just fine for my needs? Need the best bang for my buck.

After about a week or so of heavy research, today I finally purchased a Bafang BBS02 500watt mid drive kit with battery for my Trek Verve 3 Hybrid!!! Thank you ALL who have helped me make a decision and offering plenty of advice. Now the wait begins til it arrives...

fter about a week or so of heavy research, today I finally purchased a Bafang BBS02 500watt mid drive kit with battery for my Trek Verve 3 Hybrid!!! Thank you ALL who have helped me make a decision and offering plenty of advice. Now the wait begins til it arrives...

Nobuo said:
congrats! we can feel your happiness with your words :eek:

What about battery specs?

Thanks man! Here are the specs
48V10AH Samsung li-ion Frame designed battery for electric bicycle with 5V USB output for cell phone or ipad charging
1. Rated capacity: 10AH
2. Voltage: 48V
3. Charging Voltage: 54.6V
4. Discharge cutoff voltage: 35.75V
5. Cell: Samsung 18650 (13S4P)
6. Standard charging: 0.2C constant current(CC) charge to 54.6V, then constant voltage (CC) 54.6V charge till charge current decline to ≤0.05C
7. Continuous discharge current: 15A
8. Pulse/Max discharge current 30A
9. Max charging current : 5A
10. Charging temperature: 0~45℃
11. Dischargeing temperature: -20~55℃
12. Diamesion: 130x90x350mm
13. It has a 5V USB output for charging cell phone or ipad

Charger information
1. Charging voltage: 54.6V
2. AC input: 90V~120V or 220V~240V
3. Charging current: 2A
Note: The assembling and testing for this battery would take a few days, therefore the leadtime for this battery is about 5-10 days.

276 for 48V10Ah? that's really cheap. ebikes.ca charges like 800 and ping too with duty and tax, but i guess thats canadian dollars.

This battery I think. http://www.greenbikekit.com/samsung-battery-48v-10ah-with-usb-output.html

Continuous discharge only 1.5c, so clearly not the same cells as from EM3ev. But 15 amps is all it takes to cruise at 20 mph. Going at 20 amps is going to be voltage sag city.

What did they ding you for shipping? 2 month ship time? We want the gory details. Clearly not shipping from the USA at those prices.

It will be very interesting to see how the battery comes. Hazmat labeled lithium battery, or plain box labeled toys or bike parts.

dogman dan said:
This battery I think. http://www.greenbikekit.com/samsung-battery-48v-10ah-with-usb-output.html

Continuous discharge only 1.5c, so clearly not the same cells as from EM3ev. But 15 amps is all it takes to cruise at 20 mph. Going at 20 amps is going to be voltage sag city.

What did they ding you for shipping? 2 month ship time? We want the gory details. Clearly not shipping from the USA at those prices.

It will be very interesting to see how the battery comes. Hazmat labeled lithium battery, or plain box labeled toys or bike parts.

Shipping was about $172. It said lead time to make and test battery was about a week. Then UPS in Hongkong[Arrival time:2-5 Days] . I'm confused lol.

ElectricBikeNoob said:
dogman dan said:

Everything all in one for the kit was $650~ + shipping made it $850~. I couldn't find a better price. And the kit suits my needs so why not? As long as it is here by July 22 I will be happy lol

Gloop said:
276 for 48V10Ah? that's really cheap. ebikes.ca charges like 800 and ping too with duty and tax, but i guess thats canadian dollars.

There is a reason why its so cheap, and yes ebikes.ca is all CDN "dog-hairs" aka dollars. Not far from you actually, just a hop skip and a jump from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen, very nice ferry ride then a Bus ride (The thing I love about BC, even short buses have bike racks, find that in AB......NEVER!), done the ferry ride myself and rode on Galloping Goose Trail, loved it, plan to do it again on an ebike.

ebikes.ca sells AllCell which from what Ive seen is very expensive, and really not that "Top-of-the-line" with not really great discharge C-rates.

For the price, GBK and BMSB are "all right" for a low power ebike.

ElectricBikeNoob said:
fter about a week or so of heavy research, today I finally purchased a Bafang BBS02 500watt mid drive kit with battery for my Trek Verve 3 Hybrid!!! Thank you ALL who have helped me make a decision and offering plenty of advice. Now the wait begins til it arrives...
Which battery and from whom? Good for you! I like my BBS0x!!

Congrats on delving into the most times confusing world of ebikes.what will be your use?mileage?

Back