nuvinci with cyclone motor

kriskros

10 kW
i have a recumbent tadpole the i want to use with a nuvnci 360 hub an d a 960watt cyclone motor.... proposed setup...cyclone motor mounted between crank and hub[on the frame behind the seat].. 17t on the nuvinci[reccommended] and 14t on cyclone[standar]. to 32t,44t and 52t chainrings, or single 52t...double freewheel on cyclone motor QQ. can the nuvinci change in gear ratio go through to the chain ring or only to the cyclone motor?? nuvinci state min ratio is 17t on the hub to 32t... the only midframe tadpole setups with cyclone that i have seen use a derailleur to the gear cluster to change gears.. i hope this request is a little cleareer than mud... any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :? :mrgreen: :

kriskros said:
i have a recumbent tadpole the i want to use with a nuvnci 360 hub an d a 960watt cyclone motor.... proposed setup...cyclone motor mounted between crank and hub[on the frame behind the seat].. 17t on the nuvinci[reccommended] and 14t on cyclone[standar]. to 32t,44t and 52t chainrings, or single 52t...double freewheel on cyclone motor QQ. can the nuvinci change in gear ratio go through to the chain ring or only to the cyclone motor?? nuvinci state min ratio is 17t on the hub to 32t... the only midframe tadpole setups with cyclone that i have seen use a derailleur to the gear cluster to change gears.. i hope this request is a little cleareer than mud... any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :? :mrgreen: :

I have a Cyclone setup on a hardtail for years running with a Nuvinci hub (N171 I think). I don't think there is an issue what kind of bike your doing this setup on. If I understand your question is "will the Nuvinci shift"? Simple answer is yes/no.......it will shift the same as it would without a motor. But if you have been using the Nuvinci already without a motor you likely will agree it doesn't shife as well as you thought it would when you bought it. In most cases a Nuvinci will not shift under power very well or at all. The addition od the motor will not change this at all.

As for your gearing setup it's fine. Nuvinci recommends a min of 2x1 ratio.

I thought the cyclone double freewheel setup was 16 tooth.

The sprocket on the nuvinci is going to depend on the size of the wheel and whether you want extra high speeds or extra low (climbing) range.

The motor/gearbox sprocket would like to turn about 400RPM, if its a 14 tooth sprocket then your 52 tooth crank will want to turn at 108 rpm to keep up - assuming you want to pedal along and keep the motor in its efficient range.

The nuvinci is 0.5 underdrive to 1.8 overdrive. If you put a 17 tooth gear on it, the motor will like to turn it at 14/17 *400 = 330 sprocket rpm
If the wheel is 20" thats 9.8mph@330rpm at the low end and 35mph@330rpm at the high end
for a 26 inch wheel its 12.75-46mph

Nuvinci says compatible with 16-22 tooth sprockets. If you put a 22 tooth on there then the wheel turns slower 14/20 * 400 = 280 sprocket rpm
20" gets 8.3 - 30 MPH
26" gets 11.8 - 39MPH

Thats guestimatting the cyclone rpm - that their 960 @36v is about 50% faster than their 650@24v. Which should be true.

thank you ... but the question is.... willl the nuvinci shift through an intermediate gear;;cyclone.. . in other words the cyclone is driving the nuvinci hub... 14t to 17t .the chainring is in front of the cyclone.................... your hardtail is a different to a tadpole... the cyclone drives the crank not the nuvinci

kriskros said:
thank you ... but the question is.... willl the nuvinci shift through an intermediate gear;;cyclone.. . in other words the cyclone is driving the nuvinci hub... 14t to
17t .the chainring is in front of the cyclone.................... your hardtail is a different to a tadpole... the cyclone drives the crank not the nuvinci

Assuming that you are actually mounting the Nuvinci as it was intended (as the rear hub) then the Nuvinci will shift. As to weather it will shift the motor and/of the crank gearing it will shift what ever you have connected to it. Netherwords, if you are running 1 chain for both the crank and the motor to the Nuvinci it will shift them both equally based on their individual ratios. If you chose to split your drive to the Nuvinci into 2 chains (1 for the crank and 1 for the motor) it will still shift normally as I said above. Bottom line is the Nuvinci is going to be able to change the ratio of what ever your input is.... motor or crank or motor and crank. The type of bike you put the Nuvinci on or what the power input to it is it has nothing to do with how it works.

I hope this helps you and answers your question.

Bob

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18606

I believe you may want to check this out. Your cyclone setup may be similar.
This is about as cool a setup as there can be. Now I have to figure out if it can work w/ my rear suspension Ice T :)

--T

Back