• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Off topic - modify yk42-3 for 12 or 24 volt use???

bbsux

100 mW
I have a project that I'd like to use a 12 volt controller for... (Electric Reel Lawn Mower)

Seems like none of the 12 volt controllers I have seen are decent. They are all kits or have too low of current value.

Is there a way to modify a yk42-3 or yk42-2 or another controller to work with 12 or 24 volt?

I want to use http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008060808170474&item=5-1566-R&catname=electric

this motor.

I am thinking of running it at 24 volts because 150 is at the lower limit of the rpms I need...
Coupling it directly to the shaft seems the best way.
---------
This seems better than the way I have it setup now... I took a schwinn scooter motor plate and replaced the side cover of the reel motor with it. I mounted a kollmorgen 400 watt to it. I put a 12 tooth sprocket running to a 48 tooth on the reel blade shaft. I also have a chain guide so I could keep the chain loose, so it could jump off instead of breaking if I got a twig or something caught in the blades.

It seems to work but the rpms are simply too great, I'm going to go get a 0-5k potentiometer and see if I can dial in a sweet spot on the speed.

The weight of these two batteries is killing me and there is no real place to mount them. I hope I can do my lawn with 2 -7 ah 's. Wonder if a small nicad or nimh pack would work?

The YKxx controllers can be easily modified for 24v, but 12 might be borderline.
With the motor you have in the link, perhaps you don't need any speed control. Just pick the right battery voltage and use a big switch.

Post a pic of your setup. It sounds interesting.

As soon as I find my camera, I'll snap a picture and post it.

The reason I want a controller is that I can regulate the speed and won't it use less power that way?

for instance, with the kollmorgan @24vdc

3500 rpm

12 tooth on motor / 48 on blade drive = .25 drive ratio (or 4 turns of motor sprocket is equal to 1 of blade) times 3500 = 875 (full speed RPM)

Half speed RPM = 438

Quarter Speed (More than enough) = 219

Back