One more no “solder”, no tools, no skills, 18650 pack build.

I looked on google maps where Dominican Republic is and I noticed its an island with Haiti on the otherside.
When I look at at Dominican Republic it looks like all nice houses with lots of pools in the back yard.
When I look at Haiti, all I see is endless rusted corrugated iron sheds/roofs or even less where everyone is living.

How could two countries that live in the same island be so different? And have your country ever thought of invading and take it over and running it properly (Daniel Tosh white people joke type question).

parabellum said:
Cell level fusing seems to make sense when you can keep using the pack without the cell fused(1or even 2 of) . I have seen the thread and follow all(in my kknowledge) threads of 18650. I still do not understand how it works. :(

I still love your idea of using the holders, even if there's no fuse. Funny how a few newbies brought the idea of holders in the past and were dismissed as bad ideas and now, everybody loves the holder idea.

TheBeastie said:
How could two countries that live in the same island be so different? And have your country ever thought of invading and take it over and running it properly (Daniel Tosh white people joke type question).
It is not just a joke.
Those 2 countries are politically, mentally and ecologically different. Dominican Republic was lately taken over and ruled by white people (Dominicans [at the end] that where mostly educated, descended from rich Spanish, US and Jewish families ) where Haitian revolutions where meant to kill white people and rule them self, without having any education, preparation nor possibility to do that efficiently. This have, over decades, pushed Haiti to ecological, health and economical catastrophe. I think most of the Haitians would love to be taken over by Dominican Republic. DR is far from perfect and is still poor developing country but life quality is magnitudes higher then in Haiti. :(

Thanks for heads up to all.
There is not much posting going on lately on ES and I have no significant contributions as well.
Anyway, took few pictures to entertain you, meanwhile waiting for HK slow boat shipping.
IMG_20150217_220259.resized.jpg
IMG_20150217_220324.resized.jpg
IMG_20150217_220354.resized.jpg
IMG_20150217_220416.resized.jpg

Having lived in the Caribbean, I can't imagine how long it must take to get something from HK. Although I ran a photo lab and typically got things faster from HK And Tokyo faster than from the USA. Kodak busted us for buying from Kodak Japan, but the shipping time was weeks faster than form Rochester NY. Go figure.

I'm enjoying watching and hope this gets laid out with part access and details how to at some point. I envy your aplomb in handling this build!

tomjasz said:
I'm enjoying watching and hope this gets laid out with part access and details how to at some point. I envy your aplomb in handling this build!
I am keeping the list of materials, suorce and price in 1st post, pictures are shitty but I can try to include more details or instruction in second/reserved post. You can arange some group purchase on crucial parts later on. First thing first, need to finish it and hit hard against real world. :D
I am only confident about what I do, because it is simple physics times theory and big headroom to improvement and compromises. Have imagined the concept, but as you see I give a chance to a concept, even if numbers are against, just in case.
For me, it is only a failure if it gets worse then spotwelding and soldering, after summarizing all aspects.

Guys, lets start with criticism! :wink:

:( Sad day, I chatted with HK support today and it results, my order was cancelled and returned with no notification or explanation, I will get the details when there are any. On positive side, I received a lifetime supply on capton tape yesterday :lol: ~60m based on description. Anyway, need to get heatshrink now, so it will take another month to hear any progress from banana Republic :lol:

I got two holders recently to see for myself what I could do with them following your ideas. I ended up joining them back to back soldering all the tiny tabs together and soldered flattened 10AWG copper wire on top of those tabs. This created a gap between the holders which I filed with a properly cut piece of Masonite sheet I had left over from another project. I think it was 3/16" thick and slipped nice and snug to fill the gap. I popped 8 konion cells in the holders and put two other pieces of Masonite sheet over the cells and went around the whole assembly once with duct tape. This holds the cells in the holders and I topped everything with a piece of large heat shrink.
I ended up with a very nice looking and sturdy 1S8P cell with + and - copper poles to plug connectors on. It measured 80mm by 80mm by 52mm and weighed at 492 gr. Before I wrapped everything in ABS, tape and shrink, I did use my old CBA II to do a 12 amp discharge test from 4.2V down to 3V. I got 11.2Ah out of it with temps of everything staying at room temperature.
I could use four holders to make 1S16P cells with something like Tesla cells that okashira is selling. Join 20 cells in series inside the metal battery box of the scooter and have a totally modular, serviceable and easily repairable battery. It would even be easy to wire them all up to a BMS.

I'm loving your idea more and more.

parabellum said:
:( Sad day, I chatted with HK support today and it results, my order was cancelled and returned with no notification or explanation, I will get the details when there are any. On positive side, I received a lifetime supply on capton tape yesterday :lol: ~60m based on description. Anyway, need to get heatshrink now, so it will take another month to hear any progress from banana Republic :lol:
I had a quick supplier that sent me 4 and just went to reorder...no more! Arrrgghhh!!!
wwgo8 on eBay has been one to the fastest suppliers ever, but no more stock!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-8-Pin-Plug-in-Type-Battery-Holder-Socket-Case-Box-for-4-x-3-7V-18650-/321555001913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ade2bf239

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 422
That is good idea, to have separate 1S packs, have not crossed my mind actually. :D
Those Okashira cells are a real deal, I am tempted to crush my piggy and order few hundreds but there is the wifefactor in the way. :|
TJ- this is one I have, good stuff.

I have a similar factor!

I may have some sales picking up. If so I'm going to invest in as many as possible. Once gain I'm chasing a group buy and will contact vendors over the next week.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-5PCS-LOT-Hard-Plastic-Battery-Holder-with-Pins-for-4-x-18650-Li-ion-Batteries/1983672524.html

Back