Opening battery case, A2B

norm

1 µW
Can anyone explain how to open the battery case on an Ultra motor A2B Velocity? I need to get at the battery and possibly replace cells or the whole battery. Does anyone have a good idea for a replacement battery pack for this case? (36 V 20APH) Norm

Is it one like this? http://grifftek.com/grifftek/Other_Fun_Projects_and_Hobbies/a2b_battery_packs/

If it's the normal A2B battery, like that one in the link above, it's not easy because the ends are glued on with strong silicone sealant. First remove the screws and those little black pins, then apply a lot of heat to soften the silicone. You then have to apply a lot of leverage with a screwdriver to prise the ends off.

I'm currently building a new rear pack from cells from Tumich on here. See the for sale section. Samsung 29e in a 6p10s config. I'll let you know how I get on. Could do with an empty rear case if anyone's got one!,

I am having the same exact issue with the same battery. My question is about breaking the silicon adhesive; how hot does it need to get? Can I use a regular hair dryer? I am concern, can I damage the battery by heating it too hot?

Freezing the battery will damage the cells inside, so I wouldn't do that unless you know that what's inside is already scrap.

A hairdryer might not be hot enough. Try it and see. The parts are well-glued, so you need quite s lot of force to separate the end-caps, and you'll end up with lots of screwdriver marks.

d8veh said:
Freezing the battery will damage the cells inside, so I wouldn't do that unless you know that what's inside is already scrap.

A hairdryer might not be hot enough. Try it and see. The parts are well-glued, so you need quite s lot of force to separate the end-caps, and you'll end up with lots of screwdriver marks.

Just for general knowledge. What is the reason the cells would damage?. 18650 lithium-ion cells operate at minus grades centigrades and generally speaking cold ambience is always better for the chemistry (more years of healthy chemistry, small dendrites formations)

For example Panasonic NCR18650 PF has a storage temperature range of -20°C (-4º F) to 50ºC (122ºF) and a working temperature of -20°C (-4º F) to 60ºC (140ºF).

So a common freezer has a -18ºC (0ºF) temperature inside, it wouldn't make even the cells get -18ºC (0ºF) in 24 hours, it would make them low between -10ºC (14ºF) to -15ºC (5ºF) depending on how thick is your anti-humidity / vacuum insulating bag.

A temperature enough to make most kind of silicon insulating glue enough fragile to crack when pushing open a case like that, being a safe temperature for the chemistry.

Or I missed somethig? :roll:

If you have those Panasonic cells, you can freeze it down to -20deg then, but be careful, some freezers can go fown to -32deg.

Other cells might not be able to go as low as -20 deg. Which ones does OP have in his A3B battery then?

Back