PAS not triggering controller

Frans

1 µW
Hello, just fitted a generic controller to my Sparta ion ebike. Works OK with a few teething problems, one of which is that the first PAS sensor didn't trigger the controller. Checked it on a scope and it gave a healthy square wave. Bought a new one which did work. Both sensors showed a good square wave of the same voltage, only difference was that the non-functioning one had a smaller width of square, but the same height. Tried all the usual programming variables, but no difference. Any thoughts? Or just incompatible parts.
Happy to discuss Sparta Ion and the software that only one (highly recommended) shop in England can update and programme, effectively "bricking" it, hence my modification.

Your issues are explained in this article from ebikes.ca.

Last edited:
Best to use a PAS that's generic to your controller or if the wirings different on the PAS it will blow controller.
Thanks, yes, I agree but the generic eBay controller doesn't specify a particular PAS. So, I have a working one now, but I wanted to buy a spare self-contained type for the non-drive side, much easier to fit and replace. These are very cheap (around £5.00) but I know that the build quality varies.
The controller is one of these with an S866 LCD display:
24V/36V/48V 250W /350W Brushless Controller + Display Panel for E-Bike

What kind of signal did you get from the non-functioning PAS if you pedal backwards?
Didn't check that, but but it didn't trigger the controller in either direction. Another post gave a link to this, which seems to clarify things.

Didn't check that, but but it didn't trigger the controller in either direction. Another post gave a link to this, which seems to clarify things.
It’s just another check to verify what type of one wire PAS you have, since the varied width style won’t be compatible with you controller.

Yes, I can see how that would cause a compatibility problem , but how do I know what sort it is when I buy it? The sensors online only describe the number of magnets and whether LH or RH.

Back