• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Phase wire connectors overheating

FWIW, add my vote to the 4mm Bullet phase wire group.

I used to use Andersons but I didn't like the noticeable heat of 60-80A phase current following hard runs. I also prefer the physical profile and more secure connection of single bullets as opposed to single APP's.

Don't get me wrong, I use a considerable amount of APP's for many things power related but when it comes to phase wires, 4mm (or larger) Bullets have become my choice based on years of personal experience.

For battery current < 60Amp, Anderson 45 should do fine assuming you solder them correctly. I run them at up 65A. Sometime even 50A for a period of 2 minutes continuous and they are fine.

For Phase current, I would only something as good or better than 4mm bullet. My anderson 45 melted when running around 130 phase amps.

4mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, or XT150 should all do fine for the phase current you are stating.

For those RC drive with > 250A, I would recommend at least 6mm or XT150.

mvly said:
4mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, or XT150 should all do fine for the phase current you are stating.

For those RC drive with > 250A, I would recommend at least 6mm or XT150.

I love xt150 but now switched to EC5 3 pin connectors - one plug with 3 connectors - clean and secure

I was using 45amp rated andersons for my HALL SENSORS, and using 75amp andersons for phase connections,

+ 1 on the 45amp anderson are crappy, hk andersons are even worse

nechaus said:
I was using 45amp rated andersons for my HALL SENSORS, and using 75amp andersons for phase connections,

i think 45 amp connectors on halls is a slight overkill. Im using 2mm bullets on halls - very easy to plug/unplug when looking for the right combo.

wojtek said:
nechaus said:

i think 45 amp connectors on halls is a slight overkill. Im using 2mm bullets on halls - very easy to plug/unplug when looking for the right combo.

Overkill ? yes 100%
I like the option of using colourful housing's ..

nechaus said:

45A andersons seem way over the top for hall connectors- the current has to be under 100mA. Way tiny wires into what will seem like a massive hole in comparison,there have to be many better choices for that job.

Back